Check Your Licence Expiry Date

Just found out last night that when you let you HGV entitlement lapse, in my case in June everything else on the licence expires on it including your car licence, the rules were changed in Jan 2013 in which every one and including those that passed a truck or bus test after that date have to now sign a declaration saying they are medically fit to drive, and send it off to get another 5 year licence, and then do a medical at 45 as before.
The info on this website https://www.nolgvbrokers.co.uk/bus-and-lorry-drivers-new-5-year-hgv-and-pcv-licence-renewal/ was taken on the DSA website and explains the new rules.
I found this out when I was trying to change the address on my licence, but could not do it as the licence had expired, so I have been driving my car for the last 3 months with an expired licence, not good when you are a taxi driver, but not good on the council either who didn’t pick it up when my badge was renewed in July.
I have now sent it off to get it renewed, and the form says that when DVLA have received the form I can start driving the car again.

==================

Made sticky by dd.
Made Unstickie by Reef

It wasn’t because you let your picture lapse (10 years) was it? I have never heard of that.
I have buses but my B licence shows valid until 2055 still on the website.
If I let my Bus/Truck licence lapse because I was no longer a bus/truck driver I don’t see why I should be penalised and have to renew my car licence more frequently than everyone else?

SJB:
It wasn’t because you let your picture lapse (10 years) was it? I have never heard of that.
I have buses but my B licence shows valid until 2055 still on the website.
If I let my Bus/Truck licence lapse because I was no longer a bus/truck driver I don’t see why I should be penalised and have to renew my car licence more frequently than everyone else?

It isn’t the photo that has another 5 years to run, the D4 renewal form also stated that a new photo was not required to renew, they have changed the rules to 5 year licences, like me if you let the truck expire you renew once to renew then after that the new licence without hgv entitlement will come back as in my case a 2034 expiry date, or should.

How about a government link that states what you are saying :bulb: because I cannot find one :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

ROG:
How about a government link that states what you are saying :bulb: because I cannot find one :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

I did see it on a gov site last night, I’ll have another look later but, what is stated has happened to my licence so must be right, it also stated it on the D4 application form and probably in the booklet that comes with it.

[This is what is stated on a Gov web site. Renew or change a lorry or bus licence: If you’re under 45 - GOV.UK

“If you do not want to renew but you want to continue driving cars and motorbikes, you must fill in section 2B of the form D47PU.”

Sounds like you might be right :open_mouth:

SJB:
“If you do not want to renew but you want to continue driving cars and motorbikes, you must fill in section 2B of the form D47PU.”

I only recently just renewed my license and that section is just a tick box basically saying do you want to renew your license with your lorry/bus entitlement or just the car part. Made sure to double check the back of the photo card when it arrived to see if the DVLA had in fact renewed my lorry entitlement as I’ve heard horror stories of drivers having to fight to get their entitlement reinstated after the DVLA zb’ed up.

weeto:
[This is what is stated on a Gov web site. Renew or change a lorry or bus licence: If you’re under 45 - GOV.UK

SJB:

THANKS FOLKS :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I did not come across that when searching earlier

What a daft idea :unamused: I cannot see the point in it

The thinking behind it possibly goes along the lines that if someone is not renewing their vocational licence, it’s likely to be because they no longer meet the prescribed medical standard. It therefore makes some sense to have them confirm (even if it is just a tick in a box) that they do meet the standard for car licences.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
The thinking behind it possibly goes along the lines that if someone is not renewing their vocational licence, it’s likely to be because they no longer meet the prescribed medical standard. It therefore makes some sense to have them confirm (even if it is just a tick in a box) that they do meet the standard for car licences.

If the same 5 year rule applied to all under age 45 car only drivers then that would make sense but not when using the LGV/PCV D4 medical standard just because the driver got a higher licence

Roymondo:

My licence needs renewing in April 2020, I wont be renewing the PCV/LGV part of my licence not because I am not medically fit, its because I am not in the country and I no longer have a need for a truck/bus licence… maybe the majority of drivers realise sadly, truck drivers are over worked for poor pay (some are on a good touch) and have just left the industry.

I found out my Nephew back home in the UK wants to do his class 1, I had to tell his mother, he was not right in the head getting into the truck industry.

UPDATE FROM DVLA

I thought this situation was a little weird so I called DVLA a moment ago.

There is no way under normal circumstances that a cat B licence will not be in force when the LGV/PCV is no longer valid = THAT IS FACT

There can be circumstances where it will not be in force such as not renewing the C&D categories at age 70 when the cat B needs a medical declaration or the total licence has been revoked for say gaining 12 points etc

To the OP - if cat B is not showing online as valid then call DVLA ASAP to sort it out as there is something wrong in their system

ROG:
UPDATE FROM DVLA

I thought this situation was a little weird so I called DVLA a moment ago.

There is no way under normal circumstances that a cat B licence will not be in force when the LGV/PCV is no longer valid = THAT IS FACT

There can be circumstances where it will not be in force such as not renewing the C&D categories at age 70 when the cat B needs a medical declaration or the total licence has been revoked for say gaining 12 points etc

To the OP - if cat B is not showing online as valid then call DVLA ASAP to sort it out as there is something wrong in their system

Cheers ROG i will ring them now, I will let you know what they say.

I have spoken to the DVLA and they have confirmed that my cat b licence is still valid, in all honesty though what was read on the gov site and the form is not crystal clear.
Thanks ROG.

weeto:
I have spoken to the DVLA and they have confirmed that my cat b licence is still valid, in all honesty though what was read on the gov site and the form is not crystal clear.
Thanks ROG.

Great result :smiley:

I thought it was odd