Cat C

I am a newbie here and I’ve heard different opinions on this matter

I have passed all cpc modules all but practical lessons and driving test!
I work on the bins so can pretty much drive straight away!

If I was to pass my cat c driving test would it be possible to drive straight away say next morning?

I already have a digicard ready but we work on domestic hours but I’m sure we still need it!

I’m unsure how the system works so would appreciate friendly feedback!

Hi and welcome. You can drive commercially immediately you pass your practical test as you already have your Mod 4 pass.

Can’t see why you would need a digicard for bin work if it’s normal domestic bin collection which runs on domestic drivers’ hours. But, as you hold it, you should keep it with you in case you’re asked for it or end up driving something that requires it.

You’re in a great position with having a job to go to.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’m on the bins doing domestic and commercial, for domestic we put the digi card in and set the tacho machine to out of scope. But yes if it’s domestic pickups then you don’t need it but it’s always good to put it in and get used to using it while you don’t actually need to, that way if you ever need to use it commercially you have a bit of a head start.

Peter Smythe:
Hi and welcome. You can drive commercially immediately you pass your practical test as you already have your Mod 4 pass.

Can’t see why you would need a digicard for bin work if it’s normal domestic bin collection which runs on domestic drivers’ hours. But, as you hold it, you should keep it with you in case you’re asked for it or end up driving something that requires it.

You’re in a great position with having a job to go to.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks alot for that Pete! I’m actually doing my training with yourselves and it really Is a brilliant experience! :slight_smile: so would you need to carry anything until your license and dqc card comes through?

Just show off that beautiful blue test certificate that we all covert :wink:

carry it with you proves you have the licence to drive

jx

Jennie:

jx

Cannot wait to be holding that blue beauty! :slight_smile:

I thought that had to be sent off with drivers license! Or is it the test score sheet that gets sent?

ashman145:

Jennie:

jx

Cannot wait to be holding that blue beauty! :slight_smile:

I thought that had to be sent off with drivers license! Or is it the test score sheet that gets sent?

No neither, you can get the examiner to take your license and he’ll send it away for renewal, giving you your blue pass certificate. Either that I think he can send the certificate off but it’s best to give your license to him for sending.

yep examiner takes licence and gives you cert and a copy of your score sheet ,

jen x

Let the examiner do it, unless you need your license for anything in the following week or 2, such as a DCPC course.

You could carry your passes with you for proof but you’d do well to put them in plastic sleeves or something for protection.

When I was on the buses in 2008 after I passed I was advised to carry it just in case but no one ever asked to see it.

Well thanks everyone very much for the advice

The last thing I would want is to pass and then sit around waiting for things to come through from dvla because I’d be itching to get out on the road because I know my work would allow it more or less immediately!

thanks again everyone

Yeah, I’m like that too but most agencies have told me they won’t let me drive until they’ve seen my licence. Ironically, now that I’ve got it back they’re saying other reasons why they won’t let me drive for them. ‘gone quiet’ ’ 6 months drivers neg’ and other related stuff.

Quite frustrating, but you’ve got to persevere. I was on 7.5t for about a month before they offered up some class 2. Initially it was running a 26t Scania Fridge truck down to Milton Keynes and that was the first time I found a 4/4 gearbox, coupled with leaving the yard and hitting heavy traffic :smiley: Then there were the roundabouts :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Still, one survives and all :wink: Hopefully you’ll soon start the driving too and get the experience :smiley:

Well the trucks at work are 26t Dennis eagle trucks that they will want me on either that day or the very next!

Look Looks like twice as long as the test vehicle (daunting) haha!

But I’m insured on all vehicles and everything there anyway and I’ve been there on the agency and managed to get on the books and I’ve now been there 5 years so would be nice to progress a bit and get some experience before going for class 1 but I just want to make sure it’s all legit and safe to do so.

As I said, I’m driving the Dennis Eagles at the mo myself. Some are buckets of ■■■■.

Length was the easiest thing to get used to, you just need to remember your height and width. Width for me crops up sometimes, only on bins when you’re in tight spaces it’s very easy to scrape the mirror but all the drivers I’ve been with still do this yet, i think it’s more a case of unsuitable for hgvs rather than negligence.

Also, remember the tail swing because it’s huge on these ■■■■■■■.