Just passed my Cat C-a quick question re: digital tachos

Hi all

Quick introduction first. I am an insurance underwriter by trade but having been made redundant twice in 4 years and struggled to find a new job I thought a career change in order and people seem to need drivers more than underwriters!

Made the decision to be freelance via agencies as it suits my home life and have done a few months on little vans and thoroughly enjoyed it so last week did my Cat C course with the test on Friday which I am delighted and very relieved to have passed (pretty much used the last of my redundancy money on the course!).

Was properly bricking it for the test and had the shakiest clutch leg going during the reverse but pulled through with 9 minors (albeit my examiner did say I sailed close to the wind in a couple of land changes - borderline impeding) so well chuffed.

Initial driver cpc all done and dusted well so I’m good to go except the digital tachograph card.

Now, does the 15 allowable days without one only apply to those who have lost one or does it apply to newly qualifieds who have applied for one also?

I have an agent with plenty of work for me and can’t wait to get our there but don’t want to turn up for a job and realise I can’t do it as I don’t have the tachograph card.

Cheers all

DTT

I would not turn up with out digi tach

Have you sent for this yet :question: as they are pretty quick in sending them out mine has alway taken less than a week

I dont think you can work really. You need to get one first and those 15 days are for lost/stolen only if i remember correctly

danthetrucker:
Initial driver cpc all done and dusted well so I’m good to go except the digital tachograph card.

Now, does the 15 allowable days without one only apply to those who have lost one or does it apply to newly qualifieds who have applied for one also?

If you don’t have a driver card you cannot legally drive vehicles fitted with a digital tachograph, any company that let drive a vehicle fitted with a digital tachograph without a driver card would be putting the operators licence at risk.

You can drive a vehicle fitted with an analogue tachograph, but no sensible agency bod is going to send you out unless they know the vehicle is fitted with an analogue tachograph.

without a driver card you’re only allowed to drive a vehicle fitted with a digital tachograph for 15 days if your current driver card is lost/stolen or faulty, as you don’t have one it doesn’t apply.

That’s what I thought. Thanks all.

I was going to order one last week but felt it was tempting fate so will get the form sent off on Monday…

Most places will ask to see your digi card before you start.

Worth noting that, whilst everything above is correct, vehicles registered prior to May 2006 have analogue tachos. So you can drive those - no problem.

But it only normally takes a few days for tacho card to arrive so I wouldn’t worry too much.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

danthetrucker:
did my Cat C course with the test on Friday which I am delighted and very relieved to have passed

:smiley: :smiley:

Sounds a bummer

Should have applied for that before you started your training… would have had it by now and ready for work… well you live and learn

Yeah I know but I felt it would be tempting fate and I would have failed my test. Silly I know but one thing less to play on my mind on test day.

Hopefully will have it by the end of the week.

Another day question, is your driver number just your driving licence number?

Thanks all for your help.

danthetrucker:
is your driver number just your driving licence number?

Yes, the driving licence number.

They need that because your driver card has the same number as your licence, and the photo for your driver card is taken from your licence photo that’s on the DVLA records.

Thanks tacho. Have a note of that on my pass certificates :slight_smile:

Oh and I should give a shout out to TAL Training in Sheffield and Darren in particular for getting me through the test.

First class service and training throughout and highly recommend if you’re looking for a training centre in the Sheffield area.

Well done passing c Dan :smiley: sounds like your sorted for work when you get your digi card aswell which is fantastic :smiley: all the best with it.

Dan

Congrats on your Class C pass Dan! :smiley: (Yet another Dan, this place inundated with em! :laughing:)

I was initially wondering what a Cat C-a was, as I only know of the Cat C+E! (Yes, i’m that stupid, or like to play it! :wink:)

As above your card wont be long mate, then you can hit those street, so to speak… :grimacing:

P.S. I’d love to know what the average wage for an underwriter is pal? But I understand if you don’t want to say…

I earned enough to put me in higher rate tax put it that way but I had been doing it 15 years and had worked my way up from the very bottom (call centre car insurance sales).

Ok, driving isn’t going to bring in quite the same but it’s money I’m not currently earning and it’ll cover the mortgage, bills and toddler! Plus having worked in an office all my life I fancy a change.

I put a good amount of thought into the move, costed it all up, set up a Ltd Co and have found an agent who pays OK and an looking forward to getting on with it.

Having the Ltd Co is good as it separates me from the agent i.e I employ me, I don’t work for my agent as a temp employee. Makes the relationship easier to handle.

I’ve chosen freelance as I am also starting up a photography business but don’t want to have that as the main money spinner but want the flexibility to chop and change.

I can always go back to insurance and am keeping my hand in doing some consultancy work for an old colleague and friend and have the trucking to fall back on.

My plan for now though is to get some money coming in and then do hiab, flt’s, hazmat etc so I don’t have to turn jobs away.

That all sounds great pal, but i have one concern with what you are saying, and that is about time.

Most employers are likely to do a full set of shifts, and that is likely to be 50+ hours a week, so I can’t see you having much time for other interests after you have worked and had a bit of family time.

The alternative is to work a limited number of shifts a week, but the viability of that depends on your luck, as you might struggle with the sporadic patches of work, as you will more than likely be a last minute call up to cover other peoples shifts.

Maybe I’m talking out my backside, or you have already though of this and spoken to your agency about it. Just thought I’d mention it though…

Am working the vans on this basis at the moment and it’s going OK and ultimately if the work doesn’t come in enough from the one source I’ll approach other agencies also.

I don’t mind last minute call ups - it’s what I’m expecting a lot of the time. I am pretty easy going as to what I drive where and when within certain constraints which are beyond my control (i.e when my wife is working - she’s a nurse so works 12 hour shifts, mixture of days and nights and when she’s working I’ve got the boy).

Any photography work will be booked weeks (if not months) in advance so will be able to plan well ahead in that respect and won’t account for that much time that will interfere with driving hours.

If it doesn’t work out I’ll look at what needs to be done to make it work but will give it a try this way and see.

Thank you for your thoughts though. Always good to have plenty of information and other people’s views up front to mull on.

Sorry to hijack thread. But my question is kinda similar.

I’ve passed test and mod 4. I’ve sent off Driving licence last week.

I’ve received Tacho card and I’m waiting for DQC card and my licence back.

Am I legally allowed to drive now or do I need to wait for the other two cards to come back to me first?

JaxDemon:
Sorry to hijack thread. But my question is kinda similar.

I’ve passed test and mod 4. I’ve sent off Driving licence last week.

I’ve received Tacho card and I’m waiting for DQC card and my licence back.

Am I legally allowed to drive now or do I need to wait for the other two cards to come back to me first?

Need to wait I am afraid to say as most employers / agency like to see & photo copy them all