Caravans and extra mirrors

Does anyone know the law on them?
Im working in a local caravan shop, and theres been a few people coming in who have either said i never used them, there too expensive, or ive not used them i never have and i dont need them.
There was even a guy come in who said he has never used them, didnt feel the need for them but had this big blind spot :unamused:
So what is the law on them? Been told you must have them all the time, also been told you only need them if the caravan is wider then your car.
So does anyone know the law for them?

Cheers

here you go mate, copied off another site.

Regulations say that you should have mirrors to provide an adequate view to the rear and along both sides of your trailer. With a small low camping trailer, there is a good chance that you will still have the required adequate visibility. However, with most caravans the view through your normal car mirrors is obstructed and hence you will need to fit additional exterior mirrors.

The mirrors should be ā€œe-markedā€ to show that they meet European standards. Donā€™t forget that the regulations state that your mirrors must not extend beyond your car or trailer by more than 200mm (250mm for cars registered after 26 January 2007), hence once you are back to driving solo the extension mirrors need to be removed.

So, regulations say you do need mirrors(the comment on only if the caravan is wider is rubbish) but they cant extend any more then 200mm, or 250 if the car is older then jan 2007?

I think its abit amazing that people never use them, especially when they say ā€œive got this big blind spot aswell, but ive been fine for x amount of yearsā€ when the mirrors should get rid of this. But what can you do, they will just drive on in their own little world.

If anyone does even come into the caravan shop in Gunthorpe that you would think should be in Lowdham, then pop into the accessory shop and say hello

They had a campaign on the A64 the other year where they stopped loads of caravans heading for the coast and something like 75% of the ones they stopped were illegal in some way or other. By far the most common reason was lack of mirrors.

My understanding is that if the mirrors on your car donā€™t let you see properly down the side of the van then you need extended ones.

Paul

A good guide is that you should be able to see all 4 corners of the caravan when parked in a straight ahead position.

The Caravan Mafia issued this PDF after cocking it up a while ago.

caravanclub.co.uk/media/1022 ā€¦ ors-mo.pdf

There is a lot of reading but you can pick the bones out of that lot and use it as a sales tool to sell mirrors to more tools :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers guys :sunglasses:

And yes, the police will pull you and issue a ticket if you havenā€™t got mirrors - saw it happen yesterday. Bit of advice, donā€™t go for the cheapest ones either - they vibrate & are totally useless.