This new mirror law thing

sorry if this has been beaten to death/flogged to death on here but i have not seen it mentioned on here… :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

Does it mean that all trucks have to have blind spot mirrors etc no matter what age they are :question: , we have some 03’ MAN’s and some 55’ DAF and they dont have driver side blind spot mirrors or the mirrors so you can see the bonnet of your truck etc. - will wheel tappers tug you for not having them when this new law comes in :question: :question: if someone could just clear that up for me.

thanks in advance.
:smiley:

The mirrors are pretty crap anyway.
An item to obstruct view and the first wash you go in will rip it off anyway.
How do I know that ?

Yep yard full of wagons with ripped of mirrors.

Some wagons the mirror folds away so as not to be so easily ripped off.On a lot of wagons it won’t fold away and off they come.

this sould help you out

Existing legislation

Under Directives 2003/97/EC and 2005/97/EC new goods
vehicles over 7.5 tonnes and certain goods vehicles between
3.5 and 7.5 tonnes registered from 26 January 2007 had to
be fitted with an increased number or improved mirrors in
order to reduce blind spots.

New requirements of the
directive

Directive 2007/38/EC requires heavy goods vehicles to be
fitted retrospectively with enhanced devices, for example
mirrors, so as to reduce the number of fatal accidents
involving vulnerable road users. This directive applies to
vehicles over 3.5 tonnes which are not type approved or
approved as a single vehicle under the 2003 directive.
Most vehicles over 3.5 tonnes not already complying with the
2003 directive must be retrofitted, on the passenger’s side
only, with improved devices for indirect vision. These devices
must meet 95 per cent and 85 per cent of the vision required
under the 2003 directive for class IV (wide angle) and class V
(close proximity) mirrors respectively.

Light goods vehicles below 3.5 tonnes and buses are not
covered by the directive.

Class VI front mirrors which became mandatory on vehicles
over 7.5 tonne from 26 January 2007 are not required to be
retrofitted under this directive.
Exemptions

This directive does not apply to the following categories.
Older vehicles

• Vehicles over 3.5 tonnes registered before 1 January 2000
    Low cab vehicles

• Vehicles over 3.5 tonnes having a maximum total
    permissible mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes, where it is
    impossible to mount a class V mirror in a way that ensures
    that the following conditions are fulfilled:
    — no part of the mirror is less than 2m (a tolerance of
    +10cm may be applied) from the ground, regardless of
    the adjustment position, when the vehicle is under
    a load corresponding to its maximum technically
    permissible weight
    — the mirror is fully visible from the driving position

Why arent buses covered in this - the mirrors on them are shocking to say the least and arent much bigger than what you’d get on a Transit type van… :imp:

Because a bus in a town centre has no chance of pedestrians walking out in front of it, whilst a lorry on a motorway the driver has to be constantly on the lookout for silly pedestrians stepping out to cross the road.
:laughing:

Ayup,I didnt realise Bus Drivers used mirrors anyway :wink:

sweetleaf:

They dont :laughing:

sweetleaf:

I do - to look at how beautiful I am… :laughing: :laughing:

it doesn’t affect drivers side as i don’t have a blind spot on mines, it affects the angle(curve of the glass) of a blindspot mirror on near side and kerb , don’t know exact figures something like it has to show a minimum of 450 degrees something like that. all operators get sent a letter telling them they have to get mirrors checked ,when mirrors get checked at dealer they then provide a pass certificate which is shown at your next mot - you wont be able to take a vehicle for a mot without a pass certificate.

if your mirror needs replaced on the nearside, you can use the old one on your drivers side :sunglasses:

that’s what my mechanic told me as my boss doesn’t have a clue so i now get all info from fitter :smiling_imp: :laughing:

sweetleaf:

Course they do.Manouver,signal,mirror :smiley:

Think its to do with the wide angle lens.(idiot mirror)The concavity/convexity has got to be 0.2 %
less/more than it is now :unamused:
As an aside, why do busses need mirrors ? . . .never seen one reversing

last time i took the wagon for its safety they checked the mirrors also and it was ok with what it had.

What amused me is it’s identical to thousands of other lorries that have all passed the test, but this lorry still had to go through the process of the test.

Would you believe it it passed too! This mass production is amazing!

Cynic-al:
last time i took the wagon for its safety they checked the mirrors also and it was ok with what it had.

What amused me is it’s identical to thousands of other lorries that have all passed the test, but this lorry still had to go through the process of the test.

Would you believe it it passed too! This mass production is amazing!

All new lorries might come with legal mirrors, but if you or another colleague break one en-route and buy a replacement at a truckstop, it may not be so legal.

As an aside, these extra blindspot mirrors are not new. The Dutch had them 30 years ago, remember the little mirrors taped to the inside of the A pillar and the little windows in the passenger doors of the 140.

my 05 reg scania p series has got to have a new kerb mirror and a new wide angle mirror. I took it to my scania dealer yesterday and they told me the existing mirrors didnt have enough of a curve on them.

Instead of making HGV’s bend over backwards yet again I think the government should make it illegal to cycle or walk on a road unless you’ve passed a cycling test or a road walking test! Lets face it, many of us have troubles at roundabouts as all of these ‘safe’ mirrors stop us being able to see the traffic properly! All these mirros just simply create other blind spots!

And with retards stepping out and cycling out in front of us it doesn’t matter how many mirrors you have, we’ll still squash them…many internet folk will of heard of “The Darwin Award”…it’s awarded annually to people who die because of their stupidity, such as pedestrians and cyclists stepping out in front of us!

is this something to do with those mirrors that stick out of the front and face towards your grille? because they are useless.

Exactly. Pull down the sun visor and you cant see it anyway

limeyphil:
is this something to do with those mirrors that stick out of the front and face towards your grille? because they are useless.

not really, its the wide angle mirror and the kerb mirror on the nearside that need checking (trucks registered after 2000 only)

All new lorries might come with legal mirrors, but if you or another colleague break one en-route and buy a replacement at a truckstop, it may not be so legal.

Didn’t think of that :wink:

my 04 scania is in for test in the morning,its had the new mirror fitted months ago,i believe i have to fill a form out to give to vosa in the morning to say its been done. Does anyone know a link where i can download the said form as ive been searching all day on vosa site and google but i cant seem to find one