HI Vu blind spot lens any one else got one

Had a Hi Vu blind spot fresnel lens fitted Friday afternoon on the passengers door window
Any one else got this type or similar fitted ? What’s your thoughts ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I’ve got one but as to how useful it is I don’t use it often, it does allow better vision if you’re at an angle on a junction etc.

A must on left hookers, but I’ve used mine on right hand drives ever since I went back on them, and tbh I would not be without it.
Particularly useful for spotting the morons coming up on your inside at sliproads etc.

I don’t like them personally on rhd motors on UK work, but each to their own, preferring to keep all windows clean and clear (no perfectly placed half window covering Indian restaurant curtains with dancing tassells :laughing: ) not saying they don’t have their uses though especially if the mirrors on the vehicle someone drives arn’t adjustable enough.

Lots of lorry mirrors are not adjusted correctly too many vehicles you get in they are too close offering an inspection of the cab paintwork and too little of what they should be reflecting, the main mirror set too high up usually, there is no need in normal driving to see the front leading edge of the trailer and that’s how high some of them look to be set, set too high and you’re missing the important section down beside the vehicle on the most used mirror.

The smaller wide angle mirror though is the one that is most set wrong, and not just duplicating what can already be seen in the main one, it needs to be set as low as practically possible…ie so at the top of the mirror you can see about half way up the trailer, and it wants to be set wide so on the inside edge you can just see the wheels when in a straight line, they should be renamed the blind spot mirrors.

The other two down mirrors need setting better too, but i’ll not go into those cos i can hear half of you lot groaning from here :wink:

Yeah have had them on some motors I have driven but not really used that much TBH.
Juddian,how right you are about drivers not setting mirrors properly, obviously a lot depends on drivers height and seating position but some just do not seem to have any idea about what they should be seeing from them! Unbelievable really or are they not taught that when learning (or are the taught incorrect?) Who knows.
Maybe they could introduce that on DCPC as long as it was covered correctly and not to the trainers personal ideas. :unamused:

Vosa were giving them away a couple.years back,dont know if they still are

Yep. Really handy and simple.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

jakethesnake:
Yeah have had them on some motors I have driven but not really used that much TBH.
Juddian,how right you are about drivers not setting mirrors properly, obviously a lot depends on drivers height and seating position but some just do not seem to have any idea about what they should be seeing from them! Unbelievable really or are they not taught that when learning (or are the taught incorrect?) Who knows.
Maybe they could introduce that on DCPC as long as it was covered correctly and not to the trainers personal ideas. :unamused:

The days when we were taught, a lifetime ago, i recall my first ever artic having two flat mirrors on each side (often suffering from the silvering peeling off so smaller still :smiling_imp: ), one smallish one smaller still, it was a case of unseizing the fixing nuts and having to adjust the things precisely to see anything at all, pretty standard fitments to most lorries of the time, even the first convex offerings were small and almost none were electrically heated or adjustable back then.
Luckily the cabs were (apart from Volvo 88 with its tiny windows like trying to peer out of a tank) designed for all round vision then, full sized windows low enough to see most dangers and that all important window in the back of the cab.

What a revelation those large convex mirrors on the little Volvo F86 and Scania 110’s were.

Yep all our flip flops have and need them…
[emoji2369][emoji2369][emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You can just see mine on the passenger window (lhd).

Got them in half the trucks I drive where I am, they’re great. I certainly wouldn’t be against having them fitted if you’ve been asked.

Most of our fleet have them fitted,but we are mainly left hand drive,and they are really useful on the approach to roundabouts and the odd oblique corner,so,yes,Im in favour of them

I’ve got one. Don’t use it much but it helps with stuff on the nearside now and then so see no reason why anyone would be against something that can prove helpful.

They gave them away to the LHD wagons as they arrived in Dover years ago .
Lots of accidents with the muppet locals going up the blind spots on roundabouts .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Juddian…back in the day…a piece of string was useful to stop em from moving in strong winds eh !..especially from the big uns coming the other way… :smiley: :smiley: rear windows were useful if you were empty, and a novice at reversing. :laughing: but i preferred it when they done away with em.