Driving without mirrors :(

Was called yesterday evening with my job details today

“…oh and an agency drivers’ just taken the nearside mirror off it…”
“Well, that means I’m not taking it then. Either find me another truck or I’m not doing the job”
“You can have that other one [mentions alternate]”
“oh, that’ll be good. Need to disconnect safeties in order to use it. Don’t think so. You’ll have to sort the mirror on the other and I’ll do the job, otherwise forget it.”
“But the fitters gone home…”

Hmm. However, the other driver that was there tried to fix it. We do that sometimes. Then he called me back
“My car’s broken down at home so I’ve no tools, but all you need is a socket set and some 13mm spanners…” he told me "If you can get some and get here just change it from [another iveco, but more terminal].

Hmm.

So, I know that I personally couldn’t of driven the vehicle without a NS mirror. OS maybe different as I’m on that side, but not NS. Correct? or not ■■

Anyway, off in now so that should give me at least half an hour to work out how to change the two mirrors on the Iveco’s I’m on today.

I’m working with a tree surgeon so I just know today is going to be a long, messy and noisy day :frowning:

Still. At least it’s work… :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Alas there isn’t a smiliey that has a hardhat, ear defenders and sunglasses :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

My Understanding is the opposite to what you mentioned. I believe it is a legal requirement to have at least the off-side mirror even on cars, although it is a while since I read it so I could be mistaken.

Regards
Westie

I believe it is a legal requirement to have at least the off-side mirror even on cars

Not sure about that - but isn’t the general rule that “if it is fitted it must be in good working order” ?

I wouldn’t take a vehicle out with a missing (or unserviceable) mirror since most car drivers are so stupid it takes both to ensure you don’t smack one most of the time!! If conclusive proof was needed I was out with a driver last week who was undertaken by THREE cars when swinging wide for a nasty left turn - signals on and working… … …

G

westie:
I believe it is a legal requirement to have at least the off-side mirror even on cars, although it is a while since I read it so I could be mistaken.

A car must have at least the offside mirror and either a nearside or rear view internal mirror.

I presume the same rules apply to trucks so it would need to have the nearside mirror in place.

Regardless of the law, I wouldn’t want to be driving round with a mirror missing. We all know how many idiot car drivers try undertaking when trucks make wide turns!

Regs regarding mirrors on HGV’s are;

HGVs first used on or after 1 April 1985 (PSV: 1 April 1983) must have an exterior mirror on each side. Rigid HGVs first used on or after 1October 1988 exceeding 12 tonnes GVW must have an exterior mirror on each side, plus one close proximity mirror on the nearside. Articulated HGVs first used on or after 1 October 1988 exceeding 12 tonnes GVW must have an exterior mirror on each side, plus one close proximity mirror on the nearside, plus one wide angle mirror on the nearside.

Missing mirrors = inadequate view = Immediate Prohibition. You may find the nice(?) Examiner also ‘s’ marks the prohibition, indicating a ‘significant’ failure of the maintenance system. Usually means a trip to court and a maximum fine of upto £ 2500.

Even cars are required to have two rearward facing mirrors fitted.

I’ve driven a 7.5t with an offside missing, only due to a ■■■■■■■ in a Cleanaway wagon taking it off for me. :imp: As i was less than 5 min from base i drove back sticking my head out when making turns etc. Wouldn’t recomend it for longer trips though.
Nearside is more important still as you’re blind on that side. If you lost the main mirror and still had the wide angle it might be enough to get you home/to nearest dealer but i wouldn’t take one out like it. You may end up getting far worse than a prohibition and a fine…

I you had another wagon you could canibalise i’d be up for that though.

geebee45:
Regs regarding mirrors on HGV’s are;

HGVs first used on or after 1 April 1985 (PSV: 1 April 1983) must have an exterior mirror on each side

Missing mirrors = inadequate view = Immediate Prohibition…

Thank you for that information :slight_smile:

Just what I need :smiley: :smiley:

dennisw1:
…and still had the wide angle…

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: Sorry, we don’t have those on our 7.5 tonners :frowning: Oh, actually, the left hookers do, and HGVs do, but I’m not important enough to have one of them :frowning:

dennisw1:
I you had another wagon you could canibalise i’d be up for that though

I did that. It was Brrrrr cold this morning, but I fitted the new mirror from another 7.5t…

dennisw1 wrote:
…and still had the wide angle…
Sorry, we don’t have those on our 7.5 tonners Oh, actually, the left hookers do, and HGVs do, but I’m not important enough to have one of them

Most DAF LF’s seem to come with them, unless you specify them without i guess. But no, our 7.5’s (Iveco) dont have them either i went and stuck one of those cheap round ones on the mirror.

Westie it seems u have an ansa for everything but u drove without mirrors twice in 1day haha and u call yourself a continental driver you a class 1 prat sorry to say but get a life

Hello Roy :unamused:

westie:
My Understanding is the opposite to what you mentioned. I believe it is a legal requirement to have at least the off-side mirror even on cars, although it is a while since I read it so I could be mistaken.

Regards
Westie

The law requires two rearview mirrors. One MUST be on the drivers side and the other can either be internal (as in a car one) or external on the passenger side.

Saratoga:
Was called yesterday evening with my job details today

“…oh and an agency drivers’ just taken the nearside mirror off it…”
“Well, that means I’m not taking it then. Either find me another truck or I’m not doing the job”
“You can have that other one [mentions alternate]”
“oh, that’ll be good. Need to disconnect safeties in order to use it. Don’t think so. You’ll have to sort the mirror on the other and I’ll do the job, otherwise forget it.”
“But the fitters gone home…”

Hmm. However, the other driver that was there tried to fix it. We do that sometimes. Then he called me back
“My car’s broken down at home so I’ve no tools, but all you need is a socket set and some 13mm spanners…” he told me "If you can get some and get here just change it from [another iveco, but more terminal].

Anyway, off in now so that should give me at least half an hour to work out how to change the two mirrors on the Iveco’s I’m on today.

I don;t think I’d touch that company with a barge pole. I get a mental picture of rusting wrecks barely roadworthy.

Conor:
I don;t think I’d touch that company with a barge pole. I get a mental picture of rusting wrecks barely roadworthy.

I’ve worked for them for 4 years now. Mostly seems ok. Few little niggly things.

As for the “safeties” I mentioned, that was on the platform access side of the vehicle. Usually 20-22 meter working height :wink: