car transporters

Maybe looking at doing this job with a daf wagon an drag. never done job before or driven a wagon an drag so any pointers. (gonna have a weeks training if i get job) so lets not get to technical yet :smiley: . what sort of money should i be looking for?
thanks guys

i called up at a couple of places for a job but thought better of it esp with the weather the way it is. coupleof hours loading and unloading in the rain and then living in the cab to seemed bit much for approx 500 a week which includes nights out money and running to the max is what was told. plus you lose money if there is any damage to the motors or you are on a lower basic and get bonus for no damage

Not so many years ago it was impossible to get a job on the car transporters unless you knew someone in the union and then someone had to die for a vacancy to appear, now ECM are advertising every week for drivers, that should tell you its not the job it used to be.

Quite a few transporter jobs recently advertised in Yorkshire about £23000 :slight_smile:

mikermhh:
Not so many years ago it was impossible to get a job on the car transporters unless you knew someone in the union and then someone had to die for a vacancy to appear, now ECM are advertising every week for drivers, that should tell you its not the job it used to be.

exactly. Reckon they were on £600 ten years ago, not now.

Thanks guys.
re damage i have been assured in writing that any damage will be paid by insurance not driver.
im gonna be outbased driver so where i live i could get home a bit more than most
my basic excluding nightout money and meal allowance is over £500 so no worries there.hours are about 50
where i am most companies are paying less than £8 per hour for class 1 with adr

Just be careful dancing around on that top deck in January when its covered in ice!

thats £560-600 take home and all your working time off paid at average! better than general me thinks!! should know worked there for four years and hopefully they will have me back next year after dropping a big bollock. no pushing and no ringing every two minutes, you work to your own pace. hope this ends the chinese whispers!

there getting bigger all the time thats why there taking on! (ecm)

try 80 hours a week then £500 in bank

well I work for camdens(ex inchcape) from islip near kettering. Generally do hire car work(hertz, avis etc) with a little dealer delivery work now and again. Normally between 2+4 nights out a week. Paid a basic each day plus night out and meal money and then car money on top. even if you dont move any cars you do almost £110 a day. Basically the more cars you drop the better you do… sometimes clear 800 a week and then other times as little as 500 but usually somewhere in the middle. Bear in mind that a drawbar is anywhere from 5-15 foot longer than your average joe wagons depending on the cars you have on. Ive carried steel, milk, homebase/hotpoint crap and can honestly say that out of the driving jobs ive had that this is the most interesting job Ive done to date. Constantly knowing how high you are is a must as your height can change from one minute to the next(13’1" empty to 16’ or more when full) so you have to be on the ball, also just putting the cars on the wagon itself can be fun as well. hope this helps

scania245:
try 80 hours a week then £500 in bank

ok no offence but i may send you a copy of tachos but then again i may not :smiley:
why be pessamistic i might have found a good employer but you are putting a down on it before its done. dont do that until i say they are bad or good
so scania245 please ask me in 4 weeks and lets give the firm a chance. no offence intended scania245 but please dont judge til you get the evidence

thanks anyway to the good and not so good posts. i have read an reread your posts and have taken onboard the comments both posotive and negative.
i will do the job training as i did in petrol and see how it goes BUT because of the + and the - posts re the job wether i pass or fail i will post an honest opinion and evaluation of this job.

The only way you will fail is if you drive like a !!! , or you cant put cars on the transporter. If you are clued up as a person and aint scared of heights you will be fine

I had my little three car if you like cars you will find the job good just have a good pair of non slip boots and be careful. your loading times will get quicker as you get used to the where the cars go. the best advise I can give you is to plan where you will put the cars b4 you start loading makes it a lot easier. and take your time. have fun.
meggala

how do you manage 80hrs with the working time directiveâ– â– ? must be doing some serious fiddleing!! 80hrs and limiter knocked off, you must be on a good screw! :confused:

In my experience 80 hours is not possible unless you have a serious problem reading a map :stuck_out_tongue:

Especially dealer deliveries as most do not open till 8.30 / 9am and finish at 5 / 6pm.

Car delivery is interesting and you get to drive some nice sounding motors as you gingerly reverse an 80k Aston Martin up a wet ramp without burning the clutch out or knock the door off a new Bentley on a post

Well done me training with a scottish guy called hugh,has been an interesting week all told. have driven cars on and reversed cars on no problem there. i have been shown how to plan the load and what to check for before even setting foot in a car |(damage etc). on friday i loaded on me own whilst hugh loaded his motor then he checked mine over an said it was fine. on monday i deliver to grangemouth/ edingburgh then livingstone,my gaffer said to do the first delivery about lunchtime and so on.Gaffer seems very friendly and according to other drivers would rather do you a favour than not and he also goes out sometimes to do the same job as the rest of us to keep intouch with whats happening.
All in all it seems a good job,wagons not new but repairs are new stuff not second hand or owt.will be able to say more when i have done my first week on me own.;

and he also goes out sometimes to do the same job as the rest of us to keep intouch with whats happening.

Now that is good, if only more did that.

hope it goes ok gezt :slight_smile: