Anyone know much about car transporters

Applied for a job ages ago with macks transport just been offered an interview for 11 car transporter,forgot I applied for it.Job looks tough lol my old man was transporter for 28 years always told me story’s of drivers hitting low bridges in London putting cars on in wrong order and last one don’t go on etc the money’s good at 36 to 40k but is it that good because the job is tough and living conditions are rather cramped lol any info much appreciated

I done it years ago on Tolemans. The money was good if you were prepared to earn it, better than you’re quoting now, then the bottom fell out of it. The money you’re quoting is probably possible to earn inclusive of nights out etc, if you put the graft in. It’s not an easy job and it can be a right bar steward when it’s chucking down with rain and blowing a gale and there you are on some dockside loading cars. It has a very high turn over rate nowadays as it’s not the job it once was.

Do a search on here, there’s loads of info.

It’s a marmite job!
Out in all weather, cramped cab.
No RDCs, generally customers happy to see you, using uour brain.
No use for anyone interested only in how little work they can do for a wage but thinkers and grafters can do well. You’ll know in no time if it’s for you or not, days rather than weeks.

That wants to be £36 to £40k straight 5 days, plus nights out on top.

The money isn’t the best on offer but as with all things you can’t expect to get into the top earnings till you’re experienced, which will take a long time, at least its a full time job where a growing number of operators are using self employed drivers

Mikeshe was in real dead mans shoes work, the only place like that now is Fords own and i haven’t the foggiest idea how you get in there.

Just about the hardest graft in transport now, if you take to it and are young enough it can be a good ticket, i have no real regrets, but then i’ve got no regrets getting out either :laughing: , it aint a job for oldies.

You won’t believe how much there is to learn.

wayne1979:
Applied for a job ages ago with macks transport just been offered an interview for 11 car transporter,forgot I applied for it.Job looks tough lol my old man was transporter for 28 years always told me story’s of drivers hitting low bridges in London putting cars on in wrong order and last one don’t go on etc the money’s good at 36 to 40k but is it that good because the job is tough and living conditions are rather cramped lol any info much appreciated

Juddian is your man he gave me a lot of info when I was applying to Stobart Automotive last year.
This may help…viewtopic.php?f=2&t=126935&hilit=+automotive

Pimp daddy is the man to ask.

This any good

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67239&p=841293&hilit=car+transporters+buck+rogers#p841293

the nodding donkey:
Pimp daddy is the man to ask.

No he’s not…

My mate worked for Fords on distribution work, then got the opportunity to train for car transporters after they decided to do it in house, he earned more money than he could spend, serious money indeed, but its like a closed shop, unionised, he had to have an unscheduled night out and got paid £68, plus the next day off for the inconvenience ( on full pay ) and that was a few years ago, they also had an age restriction of 45 max at the time which ruled me out.
I suppose as a bonus, you can park anywhere, and take a car off the back to run to the local chippy. :smiley: :smiley:

:smiley: new to trucknet :smiley: Starting transporter training on Monday,and if you listened to some on here,@ 50,i’m about 25 years too old :unamused: :unamused: …LOOKING @ 4 ON 4 OFF LONG TERM…Would be happy to pull £25k ish, (plus £95/week for meals,and 3 nights out)…looking for a £/life balance…with those expctations,i will let the forum know what happens,if interested…■■?

fr06hgv:
:smiley: new to trucknet :smiley: Starting transporter training on Monday,and if you listened to some on here,@ 50,i’m about 25 years too old :unamused: :unamused: …LOOKING @ 4 ON 4 OFF LONG TERM…Would be happy to pull £25k ish, (plus £95/week for meals,and 3 nights out)…looking for a £/life balance…with those expctations,i will let the forum know what happens,if interested…■■?

What most will probably be interested in, is why tramping in a tiny cab is only pulling in 25k! :cry:

The only thing I know about car transporters is “dont night out in Aberdeen”

fr06hgv:

Mate are you off your rocker wanting todo cars for 25k a year?
For the hassle and responsibility that goes with the job I wouldn’t even consider it.
Have you done it before if you have you wouldn’t touch them for 25k especially a 11 car trailer.

All i know is that one of the came charging past in lane three of the M60 eastbound last night less than a yard off the back bumper of the car infront in very very wet conditions with very poor visibility idiot !

Themoocher:

fr06hgv:

Mate are you off your rocker wanting todo cars for 25k a year?
For the hassle and responsibility that goes with the job I wouldn’t even consider it.
Have you done it before if you have you wouldn’t touch them for 25k especially a 11 car trailer.

I’ve got agree here - 25k for car transporting in a very low pay. If they are training you on a 11+ or Rolfo expect to do some damage at first and you will probably start to get you head around it after about 6 - 8 months. Its a difficult job to learn and its very physical. Expect to spend you first day off in bed recovering when you first start until your fitness improves.

I would say that the average pay for transporting is about £36k - £45k working Monday to Friday with no weekends. The lads with experience who can load 11 cars in about 45mins - 1 hour can earn £50k+ but they earn every penny.

As has been said its a Marmite job due to the conditions and the risk. There are far easier ways to earn £25k

One drivers talk who he was do this job about 10 years ago .He had 3-4 situation when come some criminal and simply ask-do you want make business with him.They taked couple car and they pay some amont of money to drivers.This driver refuse but he said who he can get from this criminal what can earn in at least couple years.