Car Insurance??

Santa:
There are some legal dodges:

Put your dear old mum on as an extra driver (not the main) - that can reduce the premium.

Think about the mileage - don’t insure for more miles than you do.

Check out fully comp as well as 3rd party - for some weird reason full comp can sometimes be cheaper.

Try varying the excess - you need to be wary of this because the result is not always what you would expect.

To get really cheap insurance buy a “cherished” car like an old MG or an early Jag. They get special rates.

both are already named drivers
forgot that one used to do 400miles a week, now i’m only doing 500/600 a month
fully comp already
excess fixed by insurers @ £500
would love to run round in a classic, can’t afford to buy a classic atm,

ever so slightly diff from normal car ins,but for my private hire ins with 9yrs + ncd,and doing 50k miles pr yr they want £1200 quid,and is due in march,expecting that to climb around 20% at least this yr,for a 47ish yr bloke with 30 yrs exp.

Insurance companies are taking the ■■■■ this year, just got quoted £1k+ for a Rover 25 1.4, I’m 43 with 6 yrs ncd. Said Rover is now sitting in scrap yard. :smiley: On another note, got quoted £404 for a 1965 Hillman Super Minx. Used comparethemarket and Co-Op insurance keeps coming up with lowest quotes, then even lower when going direct to their website.

How do you buy car insurance online if you want to drive your dons vehicle? He has full coverage but I am excluded on his policy because we have the same address. I no longer have a car so I don’t carry insurance anymore but want to be covered if I need to drive my son’s car.

nasoona:
How do you buy car insurance online if you want to drive your dons vehicle? He has full coverage but I am excluded on his policy because we have the same address. I no longer have a car so I don’t carry insurance anymore but want to be covered if I need to drive my son’s car.

Take out your own policy.

co op i got nissan primera 1.6 r reg 219 fully comp 150 excess 9 ncb :slight_smile:

im £700 fully comp for my saab 9-5 aero, expecting that to go up when the renewal comes in.to something stupid.

If you have something a little different (4x4 or classic) try Adrian Flux, or sure term, or if your vehicles modified and you dont mind restricted mileage Frank Pickles they are a broker but we got good deals on the Discovery and Classic Series IIA with Adrian Flux, for the standard car they were not even close so the 06 Sportage is with Swinton (another broker), actually insured with AXA but Swinton got it cheaper than we could going direct

Dont discount using a broker as they can often offer cheaper than going direct due to the amount of business they pass the insurers way

Rikki-UK:
If you have something a little different (4x4 or classic) try Adrian Flux, or sure term, or if your vehicles modified and you dont mind restricted mileage Frank Pickles they are a broker but we got good deals on the Discovery and Classic Series IIA with Adrian Flux, for the standard car they were not even close so the 06 Sportage is with Swinton (another broker), actually insured with AXA but Swinton got it cheaper than we could going direct

Dont discount using a broker as they can often offer cheaper than going direct due to the amount of business they pass the insurers way

Rikki, good post, there’s a lot of truth in that. Adrian Flux are good, but only if you’ve already got a quote from everyone else. If you go to them first, they’ll ■■■■ you on the price.

I’ll give you all another tip as well - don’t use the insurance comparison websites to get the cheapest quote. They are a rip off and deliberately tailored to fleece more money from you to cover their advertising costs. Over the past 5 years I’ve beaten every comparison sites’ lowest quote by pulling out the yellow pages and spending an hour phoning my local brokers. And I’m not talking about a few quid either - 2 years on the trott they beat the comparison site lowest quote by over £100 and the other years they’ve not been far off 3 figures either which is not bad going when my yearly premium is in the £500-600 bracket. Exact same criteria/cover/excess. :bulb:

I always shop around and pay that bit extra so I can drive other cars as its handy to drive the missus car on the weekends :laughing:

I’m 26, 8 years NCB drove a Mr2 Turbo last year paid £550 Fully comp, this year drive a ■■■■■■ 1.6 (my run about :laughing: ) pay £250 Fully Comp

I change just about every year as prices keep going up, funny how I build my NCB yet I have to pay £100 more the next year :unamused: So what do I do ? leave em and go get cheaper

I was a car sprayer and cause it to do with the Motor trade they wanted stupid money, thought ■■■■ that and started saying I was a IT engineer :laughing: Don’t matter what job you do ffs unless you use car for work purposes I.e use it 9hours a day for your job, its the car you drive and how good of driver you are that counts

philgor:

Santa:
There are some legal dodges:

Put your dear old mum on as an extra driver (not the main) - that can reduce the premium.

Think about the mileage - don’t insure for more miles than you do.

Check out fully comp as well as 3rd party - for some weird reason full comp can sometimes be cheaper.

Try varying the excess - you need to be wary of this because the result is not always what you would expect.

To get really cheap insurance buy a “cherished” car like an old MG or an early Jag. They get special rates.

both are already named drivers
forgot that one used to do 400miles a week, now i’m only doing 500/600 a month
fully comp already
excess fixed by insurers @ £500
would love to run round in a classic, can’t afford to buy a classic atm,

You’re thinkin’ too literal on the classic vehicles.

I own a 1989 Sierra XR4x4 and that’s insured as a classic, £120 / year. And I pay over 600 for an Audi A6 Estate.

Insurance is a joke. My old Landy Series 3 was 88 / year, and had no abs, ■■■■ tyres, worse brakes and was solid steel so if it hit something, it wrote it off. My Audi is modern, modern suspension, excellent brakes, excellent tyres, ABS, crumple zones etc… over 600 a year (and that was last year, due for renewal in April)

Rikki UK mentioned Adrian Flux, we had two motors insured with them, my wifes new style Beetle which because it was lowered a little Swinton would not carry on insuring. Went with Adrian Flux for 12 mths and ( this is the bit I cant understand ) last week when due for renewal it was £100 more expensive and they state its no longer classed as a modified motor because it does not have five or more mods ■■?
Ended up with the co-op at last years prices but still a rip off. Hate to think what my BMW M3 Evo convertable is going to cost me come May when its insurance is due for renewal with Adrian Flux, unless one of you wealthy truckers buy it off me first.

my premium doubled with my old car, way more than it was worth, managed to save 900 quid on the qoute just by phoning around and playing them off each other. so now with Admiral. i am just worried when renewal comes in may.