Car Insurance Recommendation

I remember reading on here earlier in the year about a car insurance company that offers a better deal than most if you’re an hgv driver. I’ve tried doing a search for the threads but couldn’t find it.

I remember quite a few people in the thread saying they had got in touch with this same insurer after getting a quote online and they they had come back with a cheaper deal. If anyone knows what i’m talking about, any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Cornmarket…previously known as Adelaide

cornmarketinsurance.co.uk
I’ve used them for the past 3 years… always saved me money.

Really nice to deal with too, pretty much the one company I don’t dread ringing.

I got a renewal that was over half as cheap as the previous insurer. Hastings Direct. It’s my understanding that I get a good rate for being a night worker, with my car parked in a secure car park at work.
Can’t complain about a £255 (fully comp, £100 excess) premium though - not when the previous one was £364 and the renewal £686.

I was being charged extra because my car was parked in a locked,secure parking compound. under cctv, (Works car parking area), NOT out on the road, outside my house, for 4 nights a week.

Winseer:
I got a renewal that was over half as cheap as the previous insurer. Hastings Direct. It’s my understanding that I get a good rate for being a night worker, with my car parked in a secure car park at work.
Can’t complain about a £255 (fully comp, £100 excess) premium though - not when the previous one was £364 and the renewal £686.

Hastings Direct are always cheapest for me. They try it on with the renewal price, but a quick phone call and they beat the best online price.

Just renewed with cornmarket after doing my usual trawls of the comparison sites - they matched the cheapest quote again

Mine is through the IAM section but its the same as doing it through the LGV section as both sets of drivers are virtually the same standard

I think because of this “try it on” thing that insurers try and do nowdays - we’re all better off if we just get prepared to up-sticks and move onto a different firm each and every year. Loyalty clearly isn’t rewarded by the way these jokers like to take the ■■■■ (last three insurers have tried to triple my premium after one year of no claims (max no claims going into it) - which of course is a complete joke. “Red Lining” is hardly appropriate, since I live in a no-through road. I reckon they try it on with all people, and some mugs will just pay the extra without question - because they’ve got nowhere else to go. :question:

Winseer:
I think because of this “try it on” thing that insurers try and do nowdays - we’re all better off if we just get prepared to up-sticks and move onto a different firm each and every year. Loyalty clearly isn’t rewarded by the way these jokers like to take the ■■■■ (last three insurers have tried to triple my premium after one year of no claims (max no claims going into it) - which of course is a complete joke. “Red Lining” is hardly appropriate, since I live in a no-through road. I reckon they try it on with all people, and some mugs will just pay the extra without question - because they’ve got nowhere else to go. :question:

Yep loyalty isn’t rewarded, I always shop around when I’ve got my renewal quote, but I’ve been with Cornmarket for the last 3 years because their renewals have always been cheaper than anything else.

They also changed my insurance from one car to another with one quick phone call while I was going from the place I’d just sold my old car to the place I was going to pick up my new car. By the time I’d got there they’d also email the new insurance certificate and they didn’t charge me for swapping over.

So far I’ve been very happy with the service, I’d say being a UK based call centre it’s easier to understand them than some of the others who outsource their call centres to india, but they are based in Northern Ireland so you sometimes get somebody on the line with quite a strong accent, but I can live with that. :smiley:

I recently got zb’ed over by Hastings direct so I left for another insurer, cornmarket were useless too.

I am with IAM Surety/Adelaide / Cornmarket at present have for been for a few years, even though I retired 4 years ago, always been competitive as I thought, until I received my renewal for this year when decided to shop around.
I got quotes of between £50 - £80 cheaper I e-mailed Cornmarket with the quotes but they wanted proof and would not accept what I gave them,they wanted the site I went on AND my Password to get into it.NO WAY.
I told them you have my details you find quotes to match,if not I will go else where,they still insisted on having the website,so now I start Saga this month at £80 cheaper

Hastings are usually cheap on the search engines, but from what i read they sting you really hard on admin charges for any mid term changes.

Luckily Adelaide (Cornmarket) will meet any genuine online quote and the admin don’t shaft you bone dry for any changes…what they are like in the event of a claim i haven’t a clue and hope not to find out.

If you’re old enough Saga take some beating and again don’t take the p re admin.

You won’t get a better insurer than NFU in the event of a claim, always worth getting a quote as they seem to plough :wink: their own furrow re premiums.

Thanks for all the help chaps.

This last year I was with 1st Central, I had a letter through the post last week giving me a price for another year of insurance, but they were taking the mick by ‘auto’ renewing the policy 9 days before the old policy runs out. They automatically debit your account unless you ring up the 0800 number to cancel it. The quote was nearly twice as much as last years as well.

In my view they are preying on those people who don’t bother reading the letter and those who leave it until a few days before hand to sort it out, in which case they’ve already got your money.

Each year I do shop around online and I have had a different insurer every year for both car and motorbike, it’s whichever offers me the best quote. I’ll give Cornmarket a buzz after seeing what’s offered and see what they say. Thanks again.

Just FYI, I was with Admiral for both my car and van until last year. Then I had to change the van a few weeks into the policy (the old one failed its MOT and the required welding would have cost more than the van). Admiral charged me almost a whole year’s premium to change the van. Avoid the scumbags like the plague.

MrFlibble:
Just FYI, I was with Admiral for both my car and van until last year. Then I had to change the van a few weeks into the policy (the old one failed its MOT and the required welding would have cost more than the van). Admiral charged me almost a whole year’s premium to change the van. Avoid the scumbags like the plague.

Now thats not nice to hear !
Im insured with them and they were the only ones i could fing who took my 17 & 18 year olds on . The premiums were exceptionally reasonable and i felt indebted to them as the young ones are now earning the company money by being able to drive.
So it seems its not an exact science phoning for quotes.

I got in touch with Cornmarket after trying 2 different comparison sites. They couldn’t offer me anything lower but offered me the same as my lowest quote but with free legal advise and breakdown cover thrown in so I went with that. I’m happy that I was able to save some money, so thanks for that.

Glad you never went with Swinton, they were charging me over £200 more than the broker I am with now to be insured by the same risk holder and with better benefits.

Comedy time again .

Hastings Direct renewal =£374 !

Exact same Hastings policy on MoneySupermarket =£186 !!

So i could just cancel renewal and take policy thru MoneySupermarket as this is cheapest quote anywhere ( because i live in a high crime postcode ) .

However not keen on Hastings as moved addresses twice last year and the b’stards murdered me with jacking up prices both times . in the end i was paying £52/month on an originally £200/year policy !!

So has anyone got recent recommendations of good insurer with HGV discount ■■

Update on Cornmarket, both car renewals from them i could not get anywhere near, so no brainer to renew again, as always nice to deal with.

Sons best mate is a lorryist too, has had two claims for non fault prangs handled via Cornmarket, reports being looked after well each time.

I’ve just renewed with Cornmarket again for this year, each year I go on Confused get the best quote from there and if it’s less than Cornmarket’s they match it once they see proof of the other quote.