Car bodies from Cowley

Hi, i’m a newbie on here and wondered if anyone can help me. I remember in the '60s seeing wagon and drags moving car bodies between Cowley and Birmingham/Coventry, some Commers, light blue in colour, and was wondering would they have belonged to the Pressed Steel Co. as I don’t think the B.R.S. changed their colours until 1970. I also recall some vehicles running in and out of the works being dark blue, would these have belonged to B.M.C.? :confused:

Hello Big g unit, I think the light blue one had Press Steel Fisher on the side but may have been contract motors from BRS, the dark blue, could they have been H&M Transport, I worked out of there in the late 70,s 77 onwards for HW Dines from Bicester. we used to take panels up to Linwood for Chrysler or was it Talbot by then and we used to take them up to the bus factory at Workington

Hi dieseldog6, Thanks for your reply, I was beginning to feel lonely, :laughing: I think H&M were a bit after the time in my question,the 60s, just pre British Leyland. H&M I believe were two descendants of J. Harding & son, (Harding & Moore). J. Harding became the B.R.S. at Sandy Lane and H&M I think ran from Joe’s original yard at the top of Rose Hill. It’s a long time ago now ay, but something I was trying to get clear in my mind. H W Dines now, were they the ones with the slogan, “Dines can do it”.

I remember around 13 yrs ago the first time i went to spain, ended up going down to Frans Maas in Valencia, on the way down saw 2 7.5tonners, both wagon and drags, light blue Mercedes 814’s i beleive, with car shells on, cant remember the name on the door, maybe the same firm?? Also used to see them inGB, the bodies were specced up specifically to carry the shells.

There you go Big G

Hi dieseldog6, sorry for delay in reply, been away for a few days. Wow!! thanks for the pics, did you drive any of these? Think I might include a model in my road /rail Diorama. Do you have any pics of other hauliers from the Thames Valley district? I drove for a couple of firms around Oxford in the '60s but only on local stuff. Still researching car body transporters if anyone has anything. thanks.

Hi Big G, yes I drove all of these, the Big J was only 6 months old when I had her, you can just see an atki borderer behind the Sed Ak in pic 3 I drove that one also. I did drive a Marathon as well but sadly have no pics of it.

Don’t suppose anyone has any pics of car body carriers or know of any publications containing them. :slight_smile:

kindle530:
I remember around 13 yrs ago the first time i went to spain, ended up going down to Frans Maas in Valencia, on the way down saw 2 7.5tonners, both wagon and drags, light blue Mercedes 814’s i beleive, with car shells on, cant remember the name on the door, maybe the same firm?? Also used to see them inGB, the bodies were specced up specifically to carry the shells.

Does T.J Edwards of Cannock sound familiar?

Yeah I remember them, Ben9, weren’t they down Walkmill lane somewhere, next to Frans Maas depot. Again, think they were in the '80s early '90s. I was running around that area about then. The motors I am enquiring about were mostly Commers and maybe Guy / Leylands running between Cowley and Cov / Birmingham.

Edwards did Fords,

Big G I just remembered on Chris Hodges and also on, NA3T there are some photos of the lorry driver of the year competion in Coventry around 1963 I sure there are a couple of the brs commers with bodies on them.

Ben9:

kindle530:

Does T.J Edwards of Cannock sound familiar?

could have been them ben, you may be right, i think the writing on the doors was in white.

Kindle… that would be Edwards going to Fords in Valencia

dieseldog6:
Kindle… that would be Edwards going to Fords in Valencia

i thought thats where they said they were going. cheers.

dieseldog6:
Thanks for that, found the Commers, just the job. :smiley: Also spotted an ERF of J. Curtis of Oxford, which fits very nicely on another thread of mine, re. Old Firms in Oxford Area, {so a double whammy} if that’s not too confusing. :confused: Although the pics are in B/W the Commer’s look lighter than the other carriers, so I reckon they are light blue. :slight_smile:

WA Glendinning from Consett used to carry vehicle from Cowley back up to the North East.

Hi Big G,
If you look in the book “Pictorial History of BRS” by Nick Baldwin,(I believe Nynehead Books have just re-released it), on page 99 there is a picture of a 1950 Leyland Beaver loading up car bodies in pallet frames, & at the bottom of the same page is a picture of BRS Oxford in the late 50s showing some bodies on wagons & others on the groundwaiting to be loaded. I was an HGV Driver Trainee at B.L.Cowley on Transport dept. from 1980-85, & we were still delivering bodies all over the U.K. by road then direct to Garages/Dealers, 6 bodies/frames to a load (doubled up) pulled by day cab Buffalos.

There is a lad in my village used to drive for Edwards, they were normally in Meer at the weekend so probably did Koln too. I remember the Leyland BMC trucks who used to bring floor pans and body shells into Aston Martin from Jaguar

KINGDOM TRUCKS IN NORTHERN IRELAND HAS A 1/24 SCALE OF THE BIG GUY J MODEL ,SEE PICS ON WWW.TRAPLET.COM AND CHK THE TRUCK MODEL WORLD PART (TMW) ON RIGHT HAND SIDE.APRILS ISSUE HAD A MODEL DONE UP.
CHEERS
DAVID