can he do this

the boss has posted a memo in the office telling us which truck stops we can stop at on account but if we don’t ask for permission and he decides it wasn’t necessary, ie we could’ve parked without paying he will deduct the parking charges from our wages!!! is this legal? personally i’m thinking of parking in laybys with a sign saying free diesel here?

Just make sure you run out of hours bang on where the truckstop is. he cant argue the toss then

your boss can only legally deduct money from your wages if you say he can or it written in your contract of employment as far as i know mrb

Time to get militant me thinks, fair enough the economy is bad & it costs a fortune to park at truckstops, but why not speak to everyone concerned & say something along the lines of ‘look lads, the economy is crap so I’m trying to save a few quid so that we can all ride out the storm, so if you’re on a night out blah blah blah’ but no, you get threats of wage deductions, people like that almost deserve to have their curtains slashed or diesel stolen, it’s about time these idiots remember that a lorry ain’t no good without a decent driver in it, yeah you may be able to get somebody to work for peanuts & put up with that kind of thing in a bad economy, but this recession will end & jobs will start appearing again & drivers will have heard the rumours about how much of a ■■■■■■ the boss at that place is & all the good ones will go elsewhere, so he’ll be left with a bunch of clowns costing him a fortune, he won’t be worried though as he’ll be able to deduct 20 quid everytime they park in the wrong place!

I pity you mate, nobody should have to work for a firm like that.

Nohe cant, the b… not allowed to interfere with your wages without your permission so dont give it.Its because of the likes of him that unions started.

that’s the problem with many employers nowadays. Maybe at our place there’s some drivers that don’t follow “best practise” or use common sense.
rather than take them to one side and explain how he wants the job to be done he issues memos that ruins staff morale.

Mr B:
‘…the boss has posted a memo in the office telling us which truck stops we can stop at on account but if we don’t ask for permission and he decides it wasn’t necessary…’

Suggest to him politely that he’s appearing a bit confrontational. Maybe also consider whether he’s bringing in a bad home-life and that he’d perhaps like to calm down when dealing with reasonable blokes during an industry downturn rather than a hot-tempered bint and unruly brats indoors?

some drivers don’t help.
we have one driver who won’t ever go near a customers premises in case he can’t get parked. he will park in the services no matter what.
and he has no idea why he no longer does any long runs. he can’t inderstand why he’s shunting most days.
and i’m not telling him. :laughing:

Why not? he’s the Boss!
If you can reroute,safely? Why’s he against?