Parking

Out of duty hours and out of driving hours and the only place to stop charges over the company ‘allowance’. You manage to get to a truck stop or services and no further but it’s too rich for your company.

Does your company only pay a set rate even though it could cost significantly more? Do you still park there and just ■■■■ up the cost? Do you incur an infringement to drive to ‘suitable cheaper parking on an industrial estate or layby’?

Is there a definable legal position in respect of reimbursement of the real cost or can a company legally refuse to pay back anything other than their own pre-set ‘reasonable’ parking rate even if you provide a receipt (no food included though because that’s what the meal allowance is for)? The usual reason for not paying is that it was not pre-authorised.

The above keeps being discussed but no one seems to know if they are allowed to do this sort of thing even though I think that it’s a cost/expense incurred whilst carrying out your duties and therefore should be reimbursed in full.

Sent from the ether.

No, company pay my parking no matter what.

I tend to only pay parking once or twice a week at the most so can’t say if the company get annoyed at paying extortionate services prices 4 nights a week, however I do know drivers who do this and they still have a job so I guess not.

A.

Tell the ticket man you have no means of paying. Provide full details of name reg company etc and let them send a bill.

If they deduct it from your wages it is classed as illegal deduction from wages as it it a company expense not a personal expense.

Job done. Sleep tight eat well.

I suppose it does depend on whether the amount claimed refers solely to parking the vehicle and does not include an extra £x for a meal voucher.

Don’t think there is a legal stand point any further than you’re out of time, you need to stop. I don’t think reimbursement of expenses is a legal requirement anyway. More a two way street of good will. Personally, I’d ring the boss, asking for a text or email confirming they will pay the full whack, or I won’t be paying anything and they can sort the subsequent parking ticket, and remind him at the time that if he takes any money out of my wages, I’ll be seeing him in court.

Then I’d spend my evening looking on the net for a new job, away from a firm that hammers out max hours and refuses to pay all the expenses :wink:

And if that’s “what the meal allowance is for” I hope that’s on top of a good wage, and not a tax free supplement to a bad one :unamused:

Honked:
Tell the ticket man you have no means of paying. Provide full details of name reg company etc and let them send a bill.

If they deduct it from your wages it is classed as illegal deduction from wages as it it a company expense not a personal expense.

Job done. Sleep tight eat well.

That depends on whether the driver was advanced any money to cover expenses and whether that sum has been exhausted or not.

The solution to your non problem is simple. Find somewhere of your choosing to park, before you run out of time…

You’re welcome.

No expenses on friday.no driver on monday.

I liked Honked’s answer, but personally would go with OVLOV JAY’s…

the nodding donkey:
The solution to your non problem is simple. Find somewhere of your choosing to park, before you run out of time…

You’re welcome.

Your wisdom is like a beacon of hope in the darkness. You obviously work as a bus driver where your whole day revolves around a time table and the certainty it brings!

Thank you and you too are welcome! [emoji57]

Sent from the ether.

He’s right though.

fredthered:

the nodding donkey:

You’re welcome.

Your wisdom is like a beacon of hope in the darkness. You obviously work as a bus driver where your whole day revolves around a time table and the certainty it brings!

Thank you and you too are welcome! [emoji57]

Sent from the ether.

Nope, untill two weeks ago, tramping. And I parked up at a place of my choosing (free, with facilities like pub, take away, shops etc) nearby. Even if I had lots of driving time left. Or done less than 13 hours. But then I have a spine.
Now I don’t have to worry about that any more. Day work, 4on-4off.

Are you dozy in disguise?

Your out of time for everything.
So why not park up somewhere half an hour sooner instead of running max :question: :question:

lolipop:
Your out of time for everything.
So why not park up somewhere half an hour sooner instead of running max :question: :question:

Because he’s not a bus driver.

(I’ll ignore the your/you’re faux pas :grimacing: )

If the company says park up only at places under this budget, then park early at those places.
If they want you to max your hours then they have to cover the cost if wherever you park up.

It is a legitimate business cost so let them legitimately run their business.

Not sure why drivers feel the need to pay for company expenses? Would you pay for the fuel? Insurance? Maybe some new tyres?

Honked:
If the company says park up only at places under this budget, then park early at those places.
If they want you to max your hours then they have to cover the cost if wherever you park up.

It is a legitimate business cost so let them legitimately run their business.

Not sure why drivers feel the need to pay for company expenses? Would you pay for the fuel? Insurance? Maybe some new tyres?

100% correct. They make the rules, you follow em. If the rules dont work, then they can change em.

A good company will pay if it’s through no fault of your own. But if your just driving to the max all the time and taking the ■■■■ then that’s on you. Plan your route better that way your covered

If they won’t pay to have their £100k vehicle and its valuable load parked safe and secure, leave the bloody thing to fend for itself at the side of the road and get yourself a hotel room. At least then your money is going towards a decent sleep/shower/meal.

khdgsa:
If they won’t pay to have their £100k vehicle and its valuable load parked safe and secure, leave the bloody thing to fend for itself at the side of the road and get yourself a hotel room. At least then your money is going towards a decent sleep/shower/meal.

And as the law requires don’t forget to leave the sidelights on all night either, which means they’ll have to pay a callout for someone to come and start it in the morning.

the nodding donkey:
I park up at a place of my choosing (free, with facilities like pub, take away, shops etc) nearby. Even if I had lots of driving time left. Or done less than 13 hours.

That’s my style also (I’ve edited the insults btw :smiley: )

My lot aint keen on paying MSA rip off prices, and tbh who can blame them.
One Fri night I was coming up the M5, running late heading for secure park, as I had drink on board (trailer not me :laughing: )
Traffic was evil and there was a rta, 10 hours getting really close at Frankley msa, so broke habit of a lifetime and parked there.

Explained why on return, and to be fair I got fully re.imbursed.
If I had not I would have got it back in other ways, and parked at the most dodgy place I could find the next week,… but no need as all ended well.