Can any one help with some information at all

HI NAME IS MICHAEL

AM AFTER SUM ADVICE IF ANYONE CAN HELP.
I AM 21 IN FEB AND AM INTERESTED IN DOING ME HGV CLASS 1.

MY QUESTION IS CAN I DO THE CLASS 1 STRAIGHT AWAY OR DO I HAVE 2 DO CLASS 2 AND 3 FIRST.

AS A COMPANY I ENQUIRED WITH IN MY AREA SAID I COULD DO THE CLASS 1.

BUT AFTER SPEAKING WITH A FEW PEOPLE THEY INFORM ME I GOTTA DO ALL CLASSES UNDER NEW DVLA RULES

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

Welcome to trucknet :slight_smile:

It is no longer class 1,2 and 3 but now category C (Rigids) and CE (Rigids towing trailers, which includes artics). You have to do the C before the CE.

welcome to tn :slight_smile:
not to sure but i think you have to do class 2 first i did when i took mine good look mike :slight_smile:

you do have to do the class 2 first but it is possible to do it all in a week and end up with a c+e license but thats obviously dependent on passing the class 2 first time.

welcome to trucknetuk cb hornet

you will have to do you class 2 (cat c)before going to your class 1 (cat c+e).if you wanted to do them both i would go for a 10 day course i.e class 2 one week and class 1 the next, but as someone says thats if you pass it first time.

you will also have to do a theory test as well before you go to do it.

good luck

jon

As above.

First you need a provisional licence, for which you need a medical. (i’m pretty sure you can apply for this now)

When you apply for your provisional licence also tick the box asking for a Cat D (bus) provisional as well as C (lorry) as then you’ll have provis entitlement for that if you ever wanted to do it.

When you pass C you’ll automatically get the C1 entitlement (good vehicles upto 7.5t)

PS. Capitals means SHOUTING!!! :laughing:

dennisw1:
When you apply for your provisional licence also tick the box asking for a Cat D (bus) provisional as well as C (lorry) as then you’ll have provis entitlement for that if you ever wanted to do it.

I agree, I didn’t do this but wish I had.

jonboy:
if you wanted to do them both i would go for a 10 day course i.e class 2 one week and class 1 the next, but as someone says thats if you pass it first time.

You are also dependent on the DVLA as you can’t do the C+E until your licence is returned with the ‘C’ printed on it even though you have passed, although to be fair they are quite efficient and should get back in a few days of posting.

Hi cbhornet3 welcome to TruckNet UK :smiley:
and good luck with the training and test
when the time comes

Hello cbhornet3. Your medical will probably be in the region of £60-£100 if you goto your own GP. A company called cotwolds mediclas did mine for £38. I still have their number somewhere, will drag it out & PM you.

Welcome to Trucknet cbhornet3 :laughing:

Toploadertom:
Hello cbhornet3. Your medical will probably be in the region of £60-£100 if you goto your own GP. A company called cotwolds mediclas did mine for £38. I still have their number somewhere, will drag it out & PM you.

There is a link for them in the Useful links section.

mrpj:
You are also dependent on the DVLA as you can’t do the C+E until your licence is returned with the ‘C’ printed on it even though you have passed, although to be fair they are quite efficient and should get back in a few days of posting.

someone posted this a few months ago but i do believe you can book the c+e using the pass certificate you recieve on the day, it’s been a while so maybe thats changed?

paul b:

mrpj:

someone posted this a few months ago but i do believe you can book the c+e using the pass certificate you recieve on the day, it’s been a while so maybe thats changed?

You may be able to book it, but they will ask for your licence on the day of the test, and you have to have it then.

DVLA can do it within 24 hours if you ask - I took the forms in and collected them the next day, but that’s the advantage of living near the place :laughing:

mrpj:

jonboy:
if you wanted to do them both i would go for a 10 day course i.e class 2 one week and class 1 the next, but as someone says thats if you pass it first time.

or to be precise, you need to have the licence back with C+E provisional printed on it. :wink:

I ‘think’ i read somewhere that you can get the DVLA to fast track you licence through the system for a small fee. but TBH i handed my licence to the examiner and i got the new one back 7 days later.

dennisw1:
or to be precise, you need to have the licence back with C+E provisional printed on it. :wink:

I already had my provisional C+E on my licence although I still had to do the cat. C first and wait for the licence to be returned :slight_smile: .

(It was because I applied for the LGV licence before the changes came into effect but didn’t do the tests until afterwards)

Cheers for all your help and advice

have got the provisonal entitlment for class c so will get christmas out the way and get me a medical and the theroy part sorted out then do licence part.

thanks agian for your help

cbhornet3

cbhornet3:
Cheers for all your help and advice

have got the provisonal entitlment for class c so will get christmas out the way and get me a medical and the theroy part sorted out then do licence part.

thanks agian for your help

cbhornet3

Don’t you need a medical before you get the provisional licence? :confused:

Andyroo:
Don’t you need a medical before you get the provisional licence? :confused:

Yes, I think he means the provisional application form.

mrpj:

dennisw1:

I agree, I didn’t do this but wish I had.

Theoretically you can still get it along with the D1 (not for hire or reward) if you send off a new form, stating you already have a LGV pass. As this proves you’ve passed the medical requirements. it’s also FOC. :slight_smile: