Can any one help with some information at all

dennisw1:
… if you send off a new form, stating you already have a LGV pass. As this proves you’ve passed the medical requirements.

:laughing: I tried that and they sent the form back saying I needed to submit another medical despite my LGV being valid until November 2019 :confused: TBH I was going to query it as it is clearly illogical to ask for another medical in these circumstances but no longer have the desire to do the PCV training.

I might give it a try for the D1 not for hire or reward, when i can be botherd :laughing:

Another point is (and someone on here can probably clarify this) if you have passed your car test after Jan(?) 1997 you have to take a separate test for a 7.5 tonner, then the C test (rigid) then the C+E (artic).

penfold:
Another point is (and someone on here can probably clarify this) if you have passed your car test after Jan(?) 1997 you have to take a separate test for a 7.5 tonner, then the C test (rigid) then the C+E (artic).

No, this is not the case. I passed my car test last year, then went straight for my class 2 this month. No C1 (7.5t) pass needed.

I stand corrected :blush:

penfold:

If you passed your car test after Jan '97 you are limited to 3.5t vehicles. You can, as has already been said, go straight to cat. C although you need to be 21. A 7.5 tonner (category C1) can be driven at 18 so this is the reason for the seperate test.

i was wondering if any one knew if there was any sort of organisation that offered any type of funding for doing your hgv test

You can, as has already been said, go straight to cat. C although you need to be 21

Technically yes, however there are young driver schemes where you can take your test at i think 18 with some limitations.

i was wondering if any one knew if there was any sort of organisation that offered any type of funding for doing your hgv test

unlikely! You may find an employer who will take you on and train you in return for staying with them for x number of years. but usually they need to see some kind of comitment.
For example i paid for my own Cat C but my employer has now offered to pay for my class 1.

Everything has probably been covered now but heres my version of events and how I did it all this year.

First of all try getting hold of the LGV application form from a post office, something which I found impossible at all the main post offices around me and had to phont the DSA up for one.

Once you got the application pack, which will inculde a medical form, find a doctor who will do it. You can shop around, no need to go to ‘your’ GP. Once you have passed this, send that, along with your filled in application off.

When your provisional licence has been returned to you with your Cat C (Class 2) you can book a theory, but only after you have the licence or they wont book it for you.

Once you have passed the theory you are then free to book a test, though all this will be taken care of by who ever you chose as your training provider.

On your test day you will need your theory cert with you before you can start your test. Don’t do what I did and lose the ■■■■ thing, it causes cronic worrying and although I could still do my test, though you have to tell the examiners in advance so they can do a computer check, its an un-needed worry.

Having passed Cat C, you can either send away for your entitlement yourself using the pass certificate you were given, or just leave your licence with the examiner and he’ll do it for you, the benefit of this is not only is it a bit quicker, but you get to keep your pass cert.

Once you have received your licence back with cat C on it, only then can you take your C+E (Class 1). Whilst in theory you may be able to book your test before hand (I don’t know for a fact that you can) it is not advisable because although your licence may only take a few days to come back, mine took two and a half weeks and thats with the examiner sending it away himself so don’t risk it. You don’t need your theory cert for your C+E and once you pass, its the same as with car C, either send off for it yourself or let the examiner do it.

Anyway, good luck!!!

cbhornet3:

Unfortunatly, no.

I looked into just about every possible avenue and could find anything. The only options I think you have are to get in with an employer who will train you or get a career development loan.

A CDL is just like a normal bank loan except you dont have to pay anything back until the end of your course. Also, the government pays the interest.

Getting an employer to fund your training is very difficult, and if you do find one they will almost certainly want you to sign a contract to say that you will stay with the company for a certain amount of time (usually 2 years). If you leave before that time you will have to pay the cost of the training back.

It stinks realy because if you wanted to join any other “trade” you would almost definatly get the course paid by the state.

There is another option, if you are under 21. The young drivers scheme. I only found out about this when I was 22! :imp: :laughing:

On your test day you will need your theory cert with you before you can start your test. Don’t do what I did and lose the ■■■■ thing, it causes cronic worrying and although I could still do my test, though you have to tell the examiners in advance so they can do a computer check, its an un-needed worry.

Never saw the sense in this, i mean they wont even let you book a practical test until you have a theory pass, so why do they need to see the certicate!? :unamused:

dennisw1:

Never saw the sense in this, i mean they wont even let you book a practical test until you have a theory pass, so why do they need to see the certicate!? :unamused:

Totally agree with you mate, not only that, but they won’t even issue a replacement cert anyway so its all pointless.