C+E or B+E?

Popping in for some advice …

I’ve been looking at doing my B+E for a few weeks now, but have heard that doing my C+E will upgrade my B entitlement as well? Is there any merrit to doing C / C+E currently, with the whole credit crunch/recession/no jobs thing? I have a feeling getting it now while everything is quiet will mean I am ready for when it picks up again? (I’m getting bored of driving my desk!)

I’ve done a few searches on here, and can’t find anything on the people I am looking at doing my C+E with … roadtrain.co.uk/

Hoping to go and do one of their “Trial Drives” to see if I can even manage to shift in one of them first! (Its free, and I get to play with a truck … of course i’m interested!!)

Thanks in advance,

James

Yes, getting the C+E will of course upgrade your B licence to B+E. No problems there.
As for whether to go ahead right now or wait is a question only you can answer.
Personally I always go for what I want right away as putting things off does not eve make things
A/ Easier
B/ Cheaper
or C/ Better
As for Roadtrain - they are a very reputable company with good vehicles and good intructors so I think you have chosenwell and they will do their best for you.
Good Luck

If you haven’t already got C, which I suspect you haven’t from your post, then unless you have money to burn then just go for B+E, as the route to C+E is long and expensive.

If you do already have C, then C+E is probably not going to be massively dearer than B+E so might be worth considering.

Paul

Cool, thanks.

I’ll probably go for the test drive for now, see how I get on, and make my decision around that. I’ve got some free time over the summer so will do one or the other. Most likely C+E as I’d only end up doing it sooner or later anyway. (Within a year!) I’ve heard advice to put D on the provisional as well as it doesnt cost anything to add entitlements? Do provisional things expire?

Cheers,

James

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome bhworld :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

GENERAL DRIVING TIPS BEFORE STARTING DRIVER TRAINING (Link)

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is this country short of drivers ?

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics, Driver CPC, Getting 1st LGV Licence and much more…

Your provisional will expire when you reach the age 45 if you have not passed a test before then.

bhworld:
Do provisional things expire?

Not until you’re 45. If you don’t add D and want to do it later you’ll need to do another medical, unless you’ve submitted one to the DVLA within the last year.

bhworld:
Popping in for some advice …

I’ve been looking at doing my B+E for a few weeks now, but have heard that doing my C+E will upgrade my B entitlement as well? Is there any merrit to doing C / C+E currently, with the whole credit crunch/recession/no jobs thing? I have a feeling getting it now while everything is quiet will mean I am ready for when it picks up again? (I’m getting bored of driving my desk!)

I’ve done a few searches on here, and can’t find anything on the people I am looking at doing my C+E with … roadtrain.co.uk/

Hoping to go and do one of their “Trial Drives” to see if I can even manage to shift in one of them first! (Its free, and I get to play with a truck … of course i’m interested!!)

Thanks in advance,

James

What ever you do everyone on here will support you.
Although times are hard at this point, if you have enough money to spare doing your C/CE training then go for it.
If you pass your C catergory test then you’ll get the C1 catergory chucked in for free as its a lower catergory. If you do your C+E training afterwards then the C1 will also upgrade to C1+E and the catergory B will upgrade to a B+E. Overall all you’ll end up with 7 catergories on your licence.
I personally found this option to de-restrict the amount of vehicles you can worry about driving legally but it also opens the options of hiring other vehicles if your restricted to driving at a lower catergory.

Another argument that I do find hard to believe is that you need to sit a PCV test in order to gain a D1 catergory, I could understand a D catergory as the test is different but being able to drive and artic and not a minibus is ridiculous. Does anyone feel the same about this?

to do b+e you only have to take the practical test. The test and a few lessons will cost you maybe £300?

to do c+e you have to have a medical £40, theory & hazard perception £90, cat c training + test £1000, cat c+e training + test £1000. (roughly)

if your going to do c+e anyway then don’t bother with b+e, if you only need b+e then why go to all the expense of c+e if your not going to earn money off it? Just my thoughts :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies.

I was talking to a friend about this at lunch, as he is planning to do his C+E as well, and he looking at Wallace school of motoring in Wembly. Has anyone used them? (I searched by it couldnt find anything)

I’d hopefully be making money out of it after a year or two (when the economy picks back up and you experienced lot have jobs again! ) but for the short term I’d be pulling at the top end of B+E (Possibly over it, hence C+E - a lot of scouting stuff!!)

Thanks,

James