Butlers of Oxford

Hi everyone this is my first time, so be gentle with me.
I just wondered if anyone remembers Butlers of Oxford. they had numerous shops in and around Oxford, and I worked there for a while in the late fifties early sixties as a van salesman. they had three morriss commercials, a commer half tonner in black and white livery, and a Bedford flatbed in cream signed up Cherwell Foods, that was used mainly for collecting sacks of potatoes from lincolnhire. This was driven by a chap called Boke Moore.
Some of the other drivers were Ted Clarke,Colin Foster Tom ■■? John Wilson. Other staff that worked in the warehouse,bakery, shops, and offices that I recall were, Pete Kershaw transport manager, Tom Butler and Geoff Alderson, John Foster (Colins Brother) and many nice ladies in the packing dept whoes names I cant recall except Jackie ■■? and Of cause Mr John Pether the Boss Man The top salesman was a chap named Robert Cleary who left and went to work for MARS and then started up his own bussiness, and eleven years after leaving Butlers I wound up working for him @ Robert Cleary Ltd Wholesale soft Drinks and Beer supplies for 30 years. I wonder where all the others are ■■? thanks for reading this regards BUTLERBOY.

Hi butlerboy, and welcome to the forum, glad you decided to post, what took you so long!! :laughing: I remember some of those names, and am wondering if the Ted Clarke was the same one who lived in our street, and was my best mate throughout my school years and early teens. It seems strange now that we could go our separate ways in our early working years and never cross paths again!
Boke Moore I remember being at BRS Cowley when I used to run into there with seat belts in the '90s, just before I called it a day. We used to load in Willenhall West Mids. about 5.00 AM so I would often do a run myself as I could be back in the office before noon, so It was handy having someone I knew on the forklift. :sunglasses: I have a photo somewhere of you with a half ton van, which I will try to find, unless you still have a copy. I think you were parking up for an early start for a special trip on a weekend.
I never knew you and Bob Cleary went back that far, but probably explains why he helped you to your first million!! :laughing:

Hi big G tried to answer before but ent got the hang of things yet, (bit fick wiv comps) :blush: anyway you probably wont see Ted Clark again unless you go to Tialand as I believe he has settled there.yea me and Bob Cleary go back a long way as his gave me 16 years employment before selling out and helped me to my 1st million LOL spent it all now and at nearly 70 years old still having to work part time to make ends meet, but had good times driving for Butlers and RC :unamused:

Hi mate, Glad you worked it out and managed to post again, thought you might give it up as a bad job. :frowning: You’re trying to kid the wrong one here, as I know you were the first to use the saying “LOOOOADS OF MONEY” :laughing: Received the news paper cutting thanks and will try to get it on the Oxford thread. Still haven’t found the Butlers photo yet but can’t be far away and should turn up soon. Keep in touch. :wink: