Bus Driving

Hello everyone,

I’ve currently got a HGV II licence but i wondered if anyone has any experience of bus driving & what it is like. Thanks for any advice. :smiley:

Dont do it man :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
and if you start getting them thoughts again cut your hands off
and yes it really is that bad

simon

hi driv3r

welcome to TruckNet uk :smiley: :smiley:

im not a bus driver myself butthere are a couple of members that were,you my get a few answers at the weekend due to some being away all week.

jon

hello driv3r and welcome to trucknet UK,i used to be a bus driver mate and i can tell you IMHO its a boring job if your doing local stage carriage work and an under paid job if your doing coach private hire work. its not my cup of tea BUT it is for some,it depends on your own prefference mate but i would stick to the trucks :wink: at least your load cant give you any verbal grief and don`t spew all over the seats through excessive alcohol consumption :laughing:

Cor blimey, all those people talking at once behind you. The very thought makes me shudder. :unamused: :unamused:
Each to his own.

The best way to carry passengers is to strap them to pallets and stick them in the trailer. :smiley:

muckles:
The best way to carry passengers is to strap them to pallets and stick them in the trailer. :smiley:

Muckles, Thank you, best chuckle I’ve had in ages. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t waste straps, shrink wrap em instead. Muffles their voices so you don’t have to listen to complaints. :wink:

Driv3r:
Hello everyone,

I’ve currently got a HGV II licence but i wondered if anyone has any experience of bus driving & what it is like. Thanks for any advice. :smiley:

A mate of mine has just packed in driving buses - he lasted less than 12 months and is now on trucks.

He didn’t mind the driving so much but the abuse he got from some of the passengers really put him off. Oh! And the money was crap as well!

Driv3r:
Hello everyone,

Blimey!!! Driving service buses is like multidrop work, but the freight argues :open_mouth:

If you want to carry people around go for coach driving if you can get it, but avoid the school runs. I did the Lake District day trips from Leeds and Bradford a few years ago and they were great, good tips too…

i suppose the best thing about busses is theres no handball ■■?

Not sure about that odds, I know a couple of coach drivers and some of their tales would indicate that on some tours there is a degree of ‘handballing’ goes on. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :sunglasses:

oddsodz:
i suppose the best thing about busses is theres no handball ■■?

Unless you get a bus full of old gippers :open_mouth:

Been there and done it, would never go back on the service buses :imp: schoolkids are evil little sods, who know they can get away with anything :open_mouth:

Coach driving is ok, if youv’e got the right crowd. A coach full of colostomy bags on a weekend Beano to Margate, was great as they know how to tip :smiley: but 57 spotty, teenagers an a weeks ‘activity’ break to France is a nightmare. :frowning:

All in all, I wouldn’t go back to it, truck driving is for me :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ll just stick to driving the company Merc and my own bus, at least the passengers are invited guests and not the great british public.

The local bus company (Stagecoach) advertise virtually every week for drivers at £6.36 per hour, but I would not do it as a job. Too much hassle from the passengers, the local yobs, inspectors, traffic et al.

Calv

The pay is about £5.90 here! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
It is a wonder that they have any drivers! I think the only way they get them is by paying for there Licence then lock then in like a prison!

And I would look daft in a tie! so its not for me!

I always fancied driving a Routemaster, you get your own cab and a clippie, also a semi box. I like em.

Mal:
I always fancied driving a Routemaster, you get your own cab and a clippie, also a semi box. I like em.

You’d best be quick Mal, as Ken Livingstone has fell out with the Routemaster and they are steadily being being replaced by Merc Bendybuses. Seems a good move this, given the lack of road space in London, replace vehicle with one that takes up twice as much room. London Routemasters are fully auto.

My own Bristol has a 5 cylinder Gardner and a Bristol crash box (according to the manual it has syncromesh, but I think it left years ago :frowning: )

Calv

Mal:

and they are auto`s if you leave them in top cog
we had 3 ,to be honest i didnt like them ,ok in london but thats it
dont drive buses
only drive coaches if you dont mind nursemaiding
jon

Coffeeholic:
Not sure about that odds, I know a couple of coach drivers and some of their tales would indicate that on some tours there is a degree of ‘handballing’ goes on. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :sunglasses:

no coffee thats backhanders for the extra excursion !!! when down at lake garda