I'm stuck bus driving heeelp!

Hi all was looking for some advice please.

Ive held my HGV class one for 3 years used it for 3 months and got my hiab ticket but couldn’t get on with the crane at all was a bit of a disaster!!
Went back on the buses ‘tempary’ a year later I’m still driving buses but feal stuck as its £11.50 an hour for a 39 hour week only work 4 days, but have to put up with the bile of humanity who spit at you kick the doors because your not at the bus stop and won’t let them of. Managers who give you a 12 month written warning for asking a ‘customer’ If they had any change as opposed to their £20 note at 05:20 am!!

I live in Wellingborough have been told Freightroute take on drivers with little experience whatever I go for going to be a pay cut I know but as there so many companys round my area want to go for a good one if I can!

I’m going to be honest here, you’ll trade the dregs of society in one job for another. That being said, the amount of time you are forced to interact with said dregs is a lot less on trucks than the buses. On the plus side, you’re cargo won’t kick off if you drive over speed bumps too fast.

The hours you could be working will be a lot more on trucks compared to the bus work, plus as you said the money may not be as good but don’t let that stop you. I personally couldn’t deal with what bus drivers have to put up with, I’d end up punching someone :laughing: I wouldn’t go agency first off if you need the regular income. I’d get some smart(ish) clothes and go round all the local hauliers, not just Freightroute. Go in and ask to speak to the TM, also keep some PPE in the car just incase they want to test you out right then and there!

Good advice from Radar! Dealing with members of the public makes me cringe.

Radar19:
I’m going to be honest here, you’ll trade the dregs of society in one job for another. That being said, the amount of time you are forced to interact with said dregs is a lot less on trucks than the buses. On the plus side, you’re cargo won’t kick off if you drive over speed bumps too fast.

The hours you could be working will be a lot more on trucks compared to the bus work, plus as you said the money may not be as good but don’t let that stop you. I personally couldn’t deal with what bus drivers have to put up with, I’d end up punching someone :laughing: I wouldn’t go agency first off if you need the regular income. I’d get some smart(ish) clothes and go round all the local hauliers, not just Freightroute. Go in and ask to speak to the TM, also keep some PPE in the car just incase they want to test you out right then and there!

+1
But I couldnt go back to bus driving now no mater how much money was on offer :smiley:

Thanks Radar19 I’ll dig out my hi viz and boots and stick um in the car. Goin to do the cv tonight and take it round next week to a few firms I’ve got in mind.

JackBriggs1988:
Thanks Radar19 I’ll dig out my hi viz and boots and stick um in the car. Goin to do the cv tonight and take it round next week to a few firms I’ve got in mind.

Don’t just do a few, do everyone in your area. The idea is to spread yourself around as much as you can! Be prepared to work from the bottom up again, getting all the bum jobs. I’ve only just been in my first full time job for about a month now, its not the greatest but it does have its moments, there are one or two things I don’t like about it. I’m thankful for the experience as I’m coming on leaps and bounds. I’m no longer scared of my backend and the size of the truck like I was when I first past, I did mostly 7.5t jobs when on agency.

Knights of Old over in Kettering apparently take on drivers with little experience but you’d have to take a pay cut to go there.

Yeah as already been said mate get yourself out there knocking on doors handing cvs out definitely the best way, you say you’ve even been spat at driving buses, there is certainly some scum about, I’ve always had respect for bus drivers for dealing with the general public.

Well, I did my last shift driving buses on Friday and start my new job tomorrow :slight_smile:
I started driving coaches and moved on to buses, ■■■■, what an insight. Out of the depot at 5.30 and your first passenger gives you a 20 pound note then moans when you give him his change in 50p’s (on off my favourite things to do)
Got sick of being treated like a pig by everyone and having to bite my tounge all day so took my Class 2(Cat c) lessons and test two weeks ago as I’d always wanted to be an hgv driver. I cannot wait to get started, be able to listen to the radio, drink coffee, different places every day. I was a courier driver before the buses and I really miss that aspect. I’m sure I’m going to have crap days like any job but having only driven buses for a year, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

Get back on the lorries mate :slight_smile:

Wow is driving buses really that bad ? I was thinking of trying bus driving not sure i will now. Some people must like it thow as a lot of drivers my way have been doing it for years ?

I was a bus driver for 10 years with pishcoach.
There is good runs and crap runs, more crap than good.
Express use to be about the best runs to get, until they found a loop hole in the domestic rules that allows them to have there drivers driving for more than 4.5 hrs without a break on long runs(St Andrews - Glasgow - St Andrews, 5:10 total driving) and no tacho used.

Eat My BB:
I was a bus driver for 10 years with pishcoach.
There is good runs and crap runs, more crap than good.
Express use to be about the best runs to get, until they found a loop hole in the domestic rules that allows them to have there drivers driving for more than 4.5 hrs without a break on long runs(St Andrews - Glasgow - St Andrews, 5:10 total driving) and no tacho used.

10 years is along time. Can it really be as bad as some say ? I’v heard some right horror storys. But the Hurley rate is very high. A lot of the buses seem to have glassed off cabs and CCTV witch suggests a lot of bad stuff must go on.

There is in big cities, so the bus manufactures have put them on as standard, just like in other vehicles(CC,immobilisers ect)