Black kenworth!

FWIW, I believe the truck in the movie “Duel” was a Peterbilt, the other name built by PACCAR on the west coast.

I drove a big KW such as this once, and I hated it. The long, high nose made driving in heavy traffic downright scarry, the chrome reflected the sun into my eye, and it was a pain manoevering it around. I’d much rather have a short, slope-nose Mack any day.

There are often US cabovers on the A14 with US Govt plates running stock up to the Cambs base stores. They don’t have limiters. Last I was down there, one flew by me at 60+. Plain white motors, with plain white trailers, no idea who made the trucks though, they go past too quick to get a glimpse of the badges.

60 + :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:
He probably hadn’t got in top gear yet then :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

A lot of government-issue tractors are old Whites or Volvo-whites. Very square COE daycabs-the post office uses them. Mack also made similar units for government contracts.

Thanks John T for the reply, also Alexx and Pat.

The U.K. prizes still stand, but the first U.S. member to post a picture of a 1979 Black conventional K/W wins a Fray Bentos pie! :laughing:

Yummy yummy - Steak + Kidney !

Get busy :smiley:

Niall.

Steak & Ale :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Fed - Ex or U.P.S Pat ? :laughing:

AlexxInNY:
A lot of government-issue tractors are old Whites or Volvo-whites. Very square COE daycabs-the post office uses them. Mack also made similar units for government contracts.

That would be the ones then, thanks mate :wink:

Saw it south bound M6 Birmingham area ( i 4got where doh!) Fri. 11th.
Think it had flat on, but was sliding up a slip road (services i think) behind 3 lanes of almost stationary traffic, so i could not see trailer. I was north bound)Only caught a VERY quick glimpse, but saw the Allens Trucking sign. Nearly fell out my cab lol!

This would coincide with your sighting Mal? (get off my back door :laughing: :laughing: )

Niall:
Fed - Ex or U.P.S Pat ? :laughing:

FED EX of course, I have to be loyal to my old employers :laughing:

i have seen this, could’nt say where, could’nt say when…

rgds
paul

There I was today in the truck park at Poole Stadium 1030am having my break, when I heard a really nice engine sound. Looked up and nearly dropped my sarnie. There, going past the front of my wagon was a gleaming black and chrome Kenworth, with two huge chrome exhaust stacks, no trailer. It did a slow circuit of the park, then went back across the road into the car park opposite.
Not the one you are all looking for though, no company names on it, just a big painting of John Wayne and a horse on the back of the living pod behind the cab. This one’s reg was B71BFJ, and it was spotless. Must be just a show truck, the 5th wheel was cleaner than my steering wheel.
It disappeared into the back end of the car park, between the Stadium and the Fire Station, so if anyone is in the Poole area they might want to look out for it. My break was almost up, and my truck is sat tracked and regularly checked, so I did not have time to go and see it. I am back tomorrow, so I will take a stroll.

Cheers for all the replies.

The prizes still stand - U.K. and U.S.A.

Is this driver the most wanted man in Britain ? :laughing:

I think we will see him on Crimewatch next !!! :laughing:
( Has any - one seen the black Kenworth ) :smiley:

As Shaw Taylor said " Keep em peeled ! "

Niall.

allikat:
There are often US cabovers on the A14 with US Govt plates running stock up to the Cambs base stores. They don’t have limiters. Last I was down there, one flew by me at 60+. Plain white motors, with plain white trailers, no idea who made the trucks though, they go past too quick to get a glimpse of the badges.

You will probably find that they are Freightliners, either the older FLB 100 or the newer Argosy, I have seen both types when I am back home usually on the A 14, they are operated by AAFES ( ARMY, AIR FORCE EXCHANGE SERVICE) Over here they operate Freightliner Conventionals.

niall, there is a k/w dealer down the road from me here in france and they have a big open day and show, i will have to find out when it is on.
was going to go last year as one of our customers runs a k/w on livestock haulage out to istanbul, it is a big red monster and fairly new and it is an own contract motor says he wouldnt go back to a euro motor as he likes the living space.
told him about the volvo vn and showed him a picture of cliffs in t & d and his eyes nearly jumped out there sockets, he didnt know volvo made such a motor and said if he could find one he would out the kenny and get one of them :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
chris

Thanks Chris.

I think a bonus prize is in order here !

The poster and a meal for the U.K.
A Fray Bentos pie for the U.S.

What about Europe ?

Any suggestions are welcome for a piccy of a 1979 Black K/W to be posted from Europe !

Cheers,

Niall.

Cliff Warby:

allikat:

You will probably find that they are Freightliners, either the older FLB 100 or the newer Argosy, I have seen both types when I am back home usually on the A 14, they are operated by AAFES ( ARMY, AIR FORCE EXCHANGE SERVICE) Over here they operate Freightliner Conventionals.

I’ve seen these too :slight_smile: . No idea what they are though. There’s something very very similar (might even be the same ones) often parked in Thurrock services, presumably overnighting. Seems to be their/its regular place to stop as I’ve seen it/them parked there on all 3 latest occasions I’ve been through there.

The Europe thing won’t work, they are quite popular over there.

quote by bligepump

the 5th wheel was cleaner than my steering wheel.

so you’ve got a scania dealer doing your servicing as well :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

not seen it this week in wales niall :cry:

jon

Just to corrupt this thread a bit more :stuck_out_tongue:

Have any of you seen the American army trucks running in Germany?

Why do they all appear to have the same trailer number? I think its 73

Just a stupid question :question: