Bit of help if possible please

I,m thinking of applying for a driving job, but the company only have 7.5 ton,
and class 2.

I,m wondering if it would be possible to work an odd saturday/sunday on
agency, without affecting the weekly driving hours?

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

I,m wondering if it would be possible to work an odd saturday/sunday on
agency, without affecting the weekly driving hours?

As long as what you are driving on the weekend does not exceed 3.5t then it won’t affect what you can do in the week - other than having to make up the compulsory weekly rest period AND making sure that you don’t compromise the daily rest rules… … … …

… … … then again I have not had driving work yet that has got near to the weekly driving limts (all agency work) so a Saturday/Sunday would not have been a problem… … the only problem I have had is ensuring that I get the correct rest periods in … … …

G

As long as what you are driving on the weekend does not exceed 3.5t then it won’t affect what you can do in the week - other than having to make up the compulsory weekly rest period AND making sure that you don’t compromise the daily rest rules… …

Sorry, but wrong.

As soon as you get into a vehicle covered by tacho rules, you must follow those rules for the rest of the week regardless of what you drive. So you have to take all the rules into consideration, even in a van. Keep records using manual logs.

Legally speaking, that’s the case, anyway… :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I stand corrected - should have read further down the copy of the rules that I have !!

yeah the weekly rest period has to be a continuous period of rest. and can’t involve other work.

It might be possible if you get away early enough on a Friday that you could work on alternate Sundays.
Or if you can come in late enough on a monday you could do alternate Saturdays.

Thanks chaps, i was wondering if i could of had any spare hours in say a month, to do the odd days class one work on agency to gain much needed
experience.

And yet my father in law drives a skip wagon, and always seems to work a
Saturday morning :question:

Wil have to get genned up on hours etc. again.

A weekly rest period must last at east 45 consecutive hours, but can be reduced to 36 consecutive hours if you take rest where the vehice is normally based or where you’re based.
If yu do take a reduced rest you must make up the hours by adding them to a weekly or daily rest period. This make up must be done in one continuous period and before the end of the third week after taking the reduced rest.

So if you finished at 5pm on the friday and started again on monday at 8am. you could then go back to work at 4am on the sat (giving you an 11 hours daily rest) then work through to 11am or if you took a reduced weekly rest you could work on until 8pm. you would then make up the 9 hours the following weekend.

So long as there is 36 hours between finishing work on ‘saturday’ and starting work on ‘monday’ morning you’re ok., the following weekend there would have to be a 54hour break between finishing on friday and starting on monday.

It also works for the sunday too but there will need to be 36 hours between finishing on friday and starting on sunday, then 11 hours between the sunday finish and monday start.
You can juggle the daily rest about a bit too, so you could work longer, but i left that out to try and keep it errr ‘simple’?! :laughing:

the following weekend there would have to be a 54hour break between finishing on friday and starting on monday.

You get until the end of the third week following the reduction to make up for reduced weekly rest as opposed to the rules for reduction of daily rest daily rest. To use your example you would be able to do two weeks with reduced rest and the need to take the next weekend off as a 63 hour break !!!

Unless my math or reading of the rules is wrong which is not unheard of !!!

G

you could, but if you do that it’d likely mean taking a half day to make up for it.

If you do it on alternate weeks then there would be no need to change the work pattern as you would easily get 54 hours in anway. :wink:

I prefer to have the weekends off anyway :laughing:

Bear in mind a lot of Transport firms will want you to sign an exclusive contract for precisely this reason. If you screw up and go over hours elsewhere, then get caught out, their O-licence is on the line as well as your driving one.

You wouldn’t be able to avoid telling them, as you’d need to hang onto your tachos for that week to carry with you.

Thanks people, just saw 2 jobs on the jobcentre plus website, one driving
a van for £6 per hour, the other was class one (multi-drop) for £5.50
per hour :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sidan:
Thanks people, just saw 2 jobs on the jobcentre plus website, one driving
a van for £6 per hour, the other was class one (multi-drop) for £5.50
per hour :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sounds about right the more quals you have the less they want to pay :blush: :blush: :blush: are they expecting to get a driver at that rate of pay?
then again some one will take the job for experience
though in 2000 the rate was 5.50 an hour and when I left the UK in 2002 the rate was 8.50 ph :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

£8.50 in 2002? blimey that’s about a pound more than you generally see around here for class 1. Not saying it’s not achievable, but certainly not the norm.

I,ve also noticed there doesn’t seem to be a lot of difference in rates for rigid, or
artic work.

Check out this website i found and read (between the lines) the last paragraph! Just shows how were thought of reallyhttp://www.point28.co.uk/location.htm :angry: