Another tacho regs question

Am i right in assuming that if i work all week driving class 2 that i can only work every other saturday even if it is only driving a van ?

I was sure that was the case but someone has told me otherwise

Just started a new job and they seem to think i can work 6 days a week every week as on the saturday i wont be using a tacho.

Thanks
Joeyd

You can work 6 days a week legally. You have to be sure the hours even themselvs out, what with the reduced weekley rest and the driving hours over the two weeks etc. Could you give us a bit of info to work with? IE hours worked so far and hours to be worked?

Thanks

Ian.

Basicly starting work at 0700 and finishing about 1800 5 days a week. As it is multidrop i probably dont do 9 hours driving a day tho

Joey

Joyed, after six driving periods or at the end of the sixth day you have to extend a daily rest period into a weekly rest of 45 hours. This can be reduced to 36 hours if taken at the vehicles’ usual base or drivers’ home, or 24 hours if taken elsewhere. The reduction must be ‘made up’ en bloc (in one go) by an equivalent amount of rest, attached to a daily or weekly rest period, by the end of the third week following the week in question. Weekly rest can commence in one week and carry on into the next.
In your example it is the start time on Monday that becomes important. As you start at 07:00 the latest you could work to on Saturday and still achieve a 45 hour rest period is 10:00 hrs. If you wanted to have a reduced weekly rest of 36 hours, then you could work to 19:00 hrs on Saturday, but you would then have to add 9 hours to a daily or weekly rest period before the end of the three week ‘pay back’ period.
Don’t forget that when you’re driving the van you come under Domestic Regulations, whilst you don’t have to keep records on non o-licence vehicles, you are limited to 10 hours driving and 11 hours duty.
In theory you could work two Saturdays in succession, but you would then have difficulty ‘paying back’ the required time by the end of the third week following if you were to work a third Saturday in succession. The one on, one off system makes it easier to get the correct rest in.
PM me if you want to go through the maths.

Geebee45

Thanks for the info. I have downloaded the regs but they are pretty hard work.

I think the safest option would be the one on one off route…then even i cant muck it up.

Thanks again
Joey

Dont forget its all just about to change in March, you think its hard work now?? wait until next month!!!

Jammymutt wrote;

Dont forget its all just about to change in March, you think its hard work now?? wait until next month!!!

Not quite. The drivers hours rules that we all know and love(?); EC 3820/85 and 3821/85 remain unchanged, at least until the introduction of digital tachograph (scheduled for August this year). The only thing that changes is the introduction of WTD to mobile workers. The break pattens that we are used to remain the same, with one exception, after 6 hours work(driving and other work) a rest break of 30 minutes must be taken. If the work period extends over 9 hours then the rest period must total at least 45 minutes. Breaks taken under the EC drivers hours legislation count under RTD (the name for WTD applied to mobile workers) and the EC breaks take precedence.
The only fly in the ointment is that the RTD legislation is still in draft form, the final version has yet to be published - makes trying to prepare for it a bit difficult!