Newbie Question

Afternoon folks, hope all is well with you this Saturday evening.

Quick question! (i think this will be the right place to put this)

So I’m looking at gaining my Licenses but looking at what most folk on here are saying that I’ll have to start working for agency. Which is fine, I realise that I have to start at the bottom. My question is this…

I work 40 hours per week in my job now Mon - Fri , would i then be allowed to work that Saturday or a Sunday on say a 9 hour shift? I don’t really want to just go from working regular hours to agency and not sure if my regular job will count towards the ‘9o hour’ rule over two weeks. BTW the regular job is in Security so stupidity is likely :slight_smile:

I guess it would look something like this

[week 1] Mon-Fri Regular hours + a shift Sat or Sun
[Week 2] Mon - Fri Regular Hours with no weekend shift.

[week 3] Mon-Fri Regular hours + a shift Sat or Sun
[Week 4] Mon - Fri Regular Hours with no weekend shift.

This would then leave me on the 90 Hours limit would it?

Thanks for any replies

The 90 hours you’re referring to is a maximum 90 hours driving time per fortnight so that’s not going to affect you doing a day every second week.

From the information you’ve given it’s not possible to say whether or not you would be able to work a day every other week, but it seems likely that you could.

You would need to be able to do a weekend driving shift and still have at-least 24 consecutive hours rest.

Whether or or you could get agency work for the odd day is debatable, some people manage to get the odd shift driving some don’t, it depends on how desperate the agencies are in your area, one thing you can be certain of though is that you would be at the bottom of the ladder so would most likely only get the work no-one else wants, or the agencies would use you on short notice work when another driver fails to turn up for work.

Thanks for the reply.

I finish work on Friday at 15:30 then I’m off right through till 07:30am on the Monday morning so i would get well over 24 hours rest say if I worked Saturday. ( if I am reading what you’ve put correctly, sorry if i am not)

That’s my fear if I try and do this, not getting any work.

sinclair89:
Thanks for the reply.

I finish work on Friday at 15:30 then I’m off right through till 07:30am on the Monday morning so i would get well over 24 hours rest say if I worked Saturday. ( if I am reading what you’ve put correctly, sorry if i am not)

That’s my fear if I try and do this, not getting any work.

That’s fine but only EVERY OTHER WEEK