better or worse

ive been doing this job full time for 2yrs now and its the job i always wanted to do and when im just out there on a lovely sunny day i love it , all i ever wanted and more
but this last month car drivers, loaders and some drivers just seem to be really getting to me.
is this just a bad patch and itll all get better or is it just the start of a slippery slope downwards :cry:

ady1:
ive been doing this job full time for 2yrs now and its the job i always wanted to do and when im just out there on a lovely sunny day i love it , all i ever wanted and more
but this last month car drivers, loaders and some drivers just seem to be really getting to me.
is this just a bad patch and itll all get better or is it just the start of a slippery slope downwards :cry:

Its just a bad patch you’re having. Come on tell us what happened, i’m dying to know!

It’s the time of year - holidays over, school-run back with a vengeance, darker mornings, wet weather etc. etc. It’s part of the cycle, just look forward to the next spring &, like the rest of us, you’ll be wishing your life away!!

chill, if you let it get to you you may as well look for a desk job now.

Im going through that right now myself, Everythings getting to me!

Im on orders from the doctor to take things easy as well. On top of that I can hardly walk since yesterday as ive done something to my back.

Yesterday I had a great day at work, I met the g/f before I started and had a coffee, then when I did start I just plugged the mp3 player in and plodded around listening to R.E.M.

Anyway, Best of luck m8!

Just try chill out, Its a tough old job out there driving but just hang in there. You will
get through it.

Starting any new job is always exciting and interesting then after a while most jobs lose their charm in one way or another.
Haulage is no exception.
I was delighted when I started out over 20 years ago and then became an instructor which I thought was the cats whiskers of a job.
I loved taking a completely raw recruit on a Monday morning and watching them improve over the weeks course and felt a deep sense of achievement when they passed and felt just as dissapointed as they if they failed.
I also got (and still do) a sense of pride when I see my ‘old’ drivers’ out there on the road earning a living and thinking “I helped them get there!”
But after thirteen years I had had enough. I was dreading Monday mornings - another one who can’t drive and trying to kill me again!! - and really started to hate the job.
I decided to pack it in and bought a burger van and spent two years piling bacon into fat sarnies for drivers. That was fun - for a while.
I enjoyed that while I was doing it but after two years I sold up and went back to what I knew best - instructing.
After doing that for another five years I began to feel dissiluisioned again and now only do part time to suit myself - which is nice.
I think any job such as trucking which carries a huge responsibility, not only for yourself (but for other lunatics on the road), you need a break from time to time. Trouble is what else do we do??
I do understand what you are saying. It’s not getting any easier out there.

Thats a good post you made there, Some very good points as its just highlighted how ive been feeling over the last few weeks as well. Fed up with the responsibilty of the job. Ive been looking for another job out of the one in in (driving tourists around Glasgow city Centre) and ive been trying to get coach driving. Ive got my HGV licenses, but ive got my heart set on Coaches for some reason. As you said, what do you do if you want out? Where do we go? Ive got to bring in money somehow and theres no where out there going to pay me £8+ at my age for doing anything else. Im a trained accountant! yet I could not get probably any more than £5 p/h doing that as a job. Plus office work just drives me around the bend!

Give me a driving job anyday, I will hate doing it, but everynow and again I get to see the upside to things. Like yesterday where a little bit of time to myself to chill out and listen to some music while driving since we where extremly quite yesterday. Made things all worth while!

Anyway, I better head now myself… Got some tourists to scare :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Daniel - Have you tried Parks Of Hamilton? They seem to always on the look out for coach drivers.

Work has to be horrible or you would never want to stop. :unamused: :confused:

I had a patch like that . I threw the keys in on public roads . I found a driving job that only involved driving on private land . Airside at an airport to be exact .
Nice break .

Bren:
Daniel - Have you tried Parks Of Hamilton? They seem to always on the look out for coach drivers.

Yeah I have already, Another “Too young, and have to be 25!”

Im waiting to hear back from Allander of Milngavie about a job, I know they are needing drivers.

But I think before I change my job, I really need to get my back problems sorted out, Ive had extreme pain for the last 3 days. Can hardly walk with it, but I can still drive fine if im in a comfortable seat.

Danny

danielwilkie:

Bren:

Yeah I have already, Another “Too young, and have to be 25!”

Im waiting to hear back from Allander of Milngavie about a job, I know they are needing drivers.

But I think before I change my job, I really need to get my back problems sorted out, Ive had extreme pain for the last 3 days. Can hardly walk with it, but I can still drive fine if im in a comfortable seat.

Danny

If you’re as young as that Danny my advice would be to get out of driving. If you have an underlying problem with your back driving won’t help. I’m being honest mate I just hate to see a young bloke like yourself who’s got a bit up top and capable of doing other things,getting into this game.■■■■ hours,■■■■ money (unless you do 70+ hours a week) and it’s not getting better. I’m 47 and just starting back at college to try and re-skill while still driving and paying the bills.

I have tried, and failed… Im still in driving. To be honest, at my age I wont find a job paying me this good money (yes I did mean that). Im on £7.75 per hour right now, I wont get any other job like that. Ive tried office work, but it drove me up the wall after a day. I know im a little annoyed right now with current work but Im getting on with it and once im actauly driving im happy, Its just getting motavated and out there. I really do like driving, the thing I love the most is going in, picking up a bus/truck/coach and then just going out and getting on with what your supposed to be doing. You dont have anyone looking over your sholders every two minutes.