Best truck ever

Scania 142,V8,with no limiter,75 mph down to Portugal and back,coffee money to the road enforcement agencies on the way,that would then ring up their mates down the road to get some more coffee money.
The Scania 113,and 112 was not bad either.PJK had a few of those.

Yeah but its all relative if you was away for a few weeks in one of them now after coming out of what we have now other than no limiter you would be moaning about lack of space changing gear no air con etc. The job may have been more care free etc but would we really want to be doing one hit home from Italy after loading groupage all day I just asked my dad and he said maybe as a one off but not every week.

toby1234abc:
Scania 142,V8,with no limiter,75 mph down to Portugal and back.

What about the tyres? Won’t somebody think about the tyres!! :confused: :confused: :wink:

Sir +:

toby1234abc:

What about the tyres? Won’t somebody think about the tyres!! :confused: :confused: :wink:

Pmsl

On a more serious note I think we would be crying at the 4mpg

kr79:

Sir +:

toby1234abc:

Pmsl

On a more serious note I think we would be crying at the 4mpg

Not with a belly tank full of Chequers Lane’s finest you wouldn’t :laughing:

Chequers Lane out - Algerian finest back!!

2005 was the last time I filled up with that stuff. Happy days :smiley:

Hiya… i would think if you have a yard full of daf 3300’s and a yard full of Scania 142’s all for sale
the dafs 's will sell long before your scania’s thats whats important.thats a good truck.

3300John:
Hiya… i would think if you have a yard full of daf 3300’s and a yard full of Scania 142’s all for sale
the dafs 's will sell long before your scania’s thats whats important.thats a good truck.

You reckon. The Irish boys buy old Scanias for stupid money. Theres a huge market for 142’s and 143’s.

switchlogic:

3300John:

You reckon. The Irish boys buy old Scanias for stupid money. Theres a huge market for 142’s and 143’s.

Aye but they all want £15k+ for them thats why they would still be sitting in the yard for sale!

When I sold my 1996 143 I had two blokes outbidding each other for it, at the time it wasn’t even for sale, but they both wanted it so badly that they eventually made an offer to good to refuse, in typical paddy style they tossed a coin to see which one of them would buy it from me :laughing: The only unhappy face was the bloke that lost the toss, the one that bought the lorry was happy as Larry and I had a nice unexpected chunk of change, ding dong :sunglasses:

My last job before I retired I had a transcon still when everbody had Globetrotters and the like she would rock roll and purr past the best of them happy days :smiley: :smiley:

Personally, the F12 Globetrotter, I thought the FH12 was a very disappointing step backwards from a drivers point of view.

In my early days of driving, Globetrotters were more-or-less the only tall cabs on the road, it always strikes me that you hardly ever see a low cab nowadays unless it is on car transporter work or similar.

Harry Monk:
Personally, the F12 Globetrotter, I thought the FH12 was a very disappointing step backwards from a drivers point of view.

In my early days of driving, Globetrotters were more-or-less the only tall cabs on the road, it always strikes me that you hardly ever see a low cab nowadays unless it is on car transporter work or similar.

I’ve noticed that Harry. Maybe it’s just easier to buy bigger lorries with an eye on selling them on in the future?

If I had a 440BHP truck when I started out it would of been something special. Now it’s just normal and I’ve not been driving that long.

W

I think where a lot of the big boys lease the trucks the manufacturers push a good price on the bigger trucks as its easier for say scania to shift r series high lines and toplines than flat roof p cabs second hand.

I also think there’s a EU rule that states that the driver must have so many cubic metres around him if he sleeps in the cab?

harry:
I also think there’s a EU rule that states that the driver must have so many cubic metres around him if he sleeps in the cab?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Although the scania 142/143 were superb trucks from a much more pleasurable era in transport than we work in now i dont think i would like to go back to living in one especially compared with the R series 500 topline which i currently drive which has fridge/freezer,microwave oven air-con retarder etc.
One area where scania has improved is brakes,the 3 series had very average brakes compared to a newer r-series with disc brakes and retarder.

In my experience, Foden 4000 series, late 80s era ones; On an 8wheeler put in a Cat 300bhp lump on a 6 the ■■■■■■■ 250. Would swap a new motor for one those anyday…

I drove loads of 4000s 8 wheelers and double drive units cat ■■■■■■■ and rolls engined and they were a great tool for tip work.
I had a drive of a 4500 unit my mate has a couple of months back and as much as i enjoyed the big ■■■■■■■ and 13 speed fuller i wouldn’t want to drive it every day.
Must have gone soft in my old age :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: