Beer

I knew Id get your attention :smiley: seriously though, recently Ive been back hauling Beer out of Coors at burton, and recently last week I had 1 load of 11 pallets of cans (24 packs) that decided to move, bulging the curtains, (all the pallets at burton arent shrunk wrapped either) and I got loads of grief from the TM, it didnt help that the load was ok till I got back to the end of the road near the yard. however both the road/lane and the yard itself aren`t surfaced properly and are full of potholes which probably was why it moved.
the end result is that the agy have given me grief, and have moved me away from what is a steady job
the question is how do you manage to safely/securely load beer when the end customer (morrisons wakefield) states that no straps are to be used, and all straps must be stowed away towards the front, otherwise they reject the load

this has only happened while hauling loose cans, as I find that the 12/15/18 packs ride better and are less likely to move

Seems odd that Morrisons donā€™t want straps.Why is it that shippers and receivers know more about securing a load than the driver :imp: They expect you to get this work done with one hand tied behind your back then ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  when it doesnā€™t go right. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

The answer is to fill a tanker truck at the brewery and drive it straight to the pub,thus avoiding the warehousing part all together. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would strap the load if the safety of it was an issue. I worked in the brewing game driving this stuff around for 15 yrs.

You Ccould strap your load safely then when you get to Morrisons before you pull in to the Morrison site pull up somewhere safe and take off your straps.

REMEMBERā€¦ if you are pulled on the road or God forbid had an accident you the driver will be held responsible for the safety of your load.

If in doubt STRAP IT anyway :laughing: :arrow_right:

peirre:
(morrisons wakefield) states that no straps are to be used,

Tossers!!

Maybe the HSE would be interested in that snippet of info. :unamused:

I recently picked up 4 pallets on a flat bed. The pallets were very well wrapped, but they had decided to load them with these flimsy wire trays at the top (sort of like a wire paper tray). I said to the man responsible that itā€™s going to be hard to secure them without damage. His reply was 'Canā€™t you strap them loosely :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: ā€™ Needless to say, those wire trays were slightly flatter than they were when they were loaded.

When will people leave it up to the driver how best to secure loads/drive lorries?

the reason for morrissons with the no straps attitude is ā€¦

they tip you on a bay from 21 through to 26 through the back doors.

i wouldnt have strapped it.

well thats a lie i would have strapped the last 2.

jessicas dad:

alix is right if you have thiose interior curtains they have to be pulled to the front of the truck and also if you have one of those sails fitted (wraps around your last pallets)then you have to climb over the stack to push it all the wya to the front.

and heaven forbid if you happen to have a wee hole in the trailer floor. everyone up to senior management have to bloody well know and they wont touch it. but if you would like to pump truck the stuff off yourself then its alright :smiling_imp: .

we also had this debate on here not so long back about how easy it is to move a pallet of cans and how it seems diffrent to other curtain sided loads.
.think it was started by paul @ midway :wink:

jon

alix is right if you have thiose interior curtains they have to be pulled to the front of the truck and also if you have one of those sails fitted (wraps around your last pallets)then you have to climb over the stack to push it all the wya to the front.

How are you going to do that then?

Doesnā€™t the working at height rule apply to curtainsiders of beer.

I carry beer regularly, I have never put a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  it or even wrapped a pallet with a sail. I just rely on 12 wingnuts :smiley:

Longwayround:
Seems odd that Morrisons donā€™t want straps.Why is it that shippers and receivers know more about securing a load than the driver :imp: They expect you to get this work done with one hand tied behind your back then ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  when it doesnā€™t go right. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

The answer is to fill a tanker truck at the brewery and drive it straight to the pub,thus avoiding the warehousing part all together. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was taking it back to the yard, someone else was delivering it the next morning

Ive been in morrisons before, and i too would only generally normally strap the last 2 and relying on the curtains, BUT you are very dependant on how well the forky has loaded em, however recently I have been strapping them through every 2nd pallet as they load em in 2s as i would when loading glass (which was the out bound part of my run) but since the office said ā€œno straps coz its for morrisonsā€

peirre:
but since the office said ā€œno straps coz its for morrisonsā€

It still seems to me that your office is missing the fundemental point here that is you as the driver are responsible for the security of your load!!! Itā€™s not some shiney-arse whoā€™s licience is is at risk if you get a tug 'cos your curtains are bulging etc etc.

If they were to be adamant about the point then iā€™d be looking to be given that instruction in writing - it wouldnā€™t stop you ā€˜getting doneā€™ but it may well help if it was presented as mitigating circumstances.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™ll be plenty reading this thinking ā€˜straps?? Curtains will do the jobā€™ which may be the case but if you want to do the job properly (i.e. safely) then no-one can (legally) tell you not to.

You could get round it like this Peirre : :bulb:

Iā€™ve picked up out of there too. Two straps on the rear pallets wouldnā€™t help you much with some of the loads though as the boxes of lager are all lose on the pallet with no wrap and spacing between the boxes so they can go over anyway, and, as Pierre says they came through his curtains.

I work for coors ,well tradeteam . We use what we call ā€œnappiesā€ to wrap around the back pallets , even for a rear door tip . Get to the tip then you have to slacken the curtains to undo it and then unclip it from the straps in the roof , leave it on the floor and let the unloading staff shift it wherever they want it .
The beer comes straight from out the brewery palletised like that , a machine stacks them onto blues and then get put on a trailer and the trailer gets taken to the NDC and then unloaded and stored . Thats why its not shrink wrapped .
Our trailers are tapered as well so that hugs them a bit more than a traditional curtain sider . Just go a bit more steady with it .
Some of our lads can shoot a load of cans just coming off the bridge in the brewery that goes over the road too fast when they hit the hump at the bottom , the whole load buggered .
Morrisons probably doesnt want you to strap it because the metal in the straps pierces the cans .

Mike-C:
Iā€™ve picked up out of there too. Two straps on the rear pallets wouldnā€™t help you much with some of the loads though as the boxes of lager are all lose on the pallet with no wrap and spacing between the boxes so they can go over anyway, and, as Pierre says they came through his curtains.

The boxes are the most stable , its the 24 packs of cans that shift around .
Bottles of grolsch in plastic boxes :laughing: :laughing: i might have been known to shoot a couple of them into the kegs .

:laughing:

paul@midway:
I work for coors ,well tradeteam . We use what we call ā€œnappiesā€ to wrap around the back pallets , even for a rear door tip . Get to the tip then you have to slacken the curtains to undo it and then unclip it from the straps in the roof , leave it on the floor and let the unloading staff shift it wherever they want it .
The beer comes straight from out the brewery palletised like that , a machine stacks them onto blues and then get put on a trailer and the trailer gets taken to the NDC and then unloaded and stored . Thats why its not shrink wrapped .
Our trailers are tapered as well so that hugs them a bit more than a traditional curtain sider . Just go a bit more steady with it .
Some of our lads can shoot a load of cans just coming off the bridge in the brewery that goes over the road too fast when they hit the hump at the bottom , the whole load [zb] .
Morrisons probably doesnt want you to strap it because the metal in the straps pierces the cans .

the basic problem is that the firm do general haulage and the beer is just backhaul, so having the proper kit for the job ie; one of those nappies, is unlikely

paul@midway:
The boxes are the most stable , its the 24 packs of cans that shift around .

yeah i agree, I`ve been in there 6-7 times and only had that 1 load of 24 packs

tbh, Ill remember this info, but it doesnt matter now, since the agency have moved me elsewhere to let the fuss die down