Ban LGV's from town and city centres

Did anyone else listen to the Jeremy Vine show on Friday.

The last subject was the above, which was suggested by a doctor, who is also a cyclist. The reason he wants a ban is because 43% of cyclists that die in road traffic accidents are involved in collisions with LGV’s turning left.

On the positive side, one caller did suggest banning cyclists from town centres for their own safety and their lack of knowledge of the rules of the road.

I’m in favour! I hate town and city deliveries (fed up with playing spot the white man in Oxford), would rather go up and down a motorway allday-no cyclists! :smiley:

I heard the start but i was pulling in to tesco so had to get out the cab so missed it all,

waddy640:
The last subject was the above, which was suggested by a doctor, who is also a cyclist. The reason he wants a ban is because 43% of cyclists that die in road traffic accidents are involved in collisions with LGV’s turning left.

On the positive side, one caller did suggest banning cyclists from town centres for their own safety and their lack of knowledge of the rules of the road.

No,never do! :wink:
Usuall total tosh by some educated fool who thinks that his tofu and mung beans get to the ethnic fair trade shop by magic. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

How would the shops get ■■■■? One artic cube space = how many white vans cube space about 10 vans?

Anyway im gonna be jumping about edinburgh city centre tomorrow with 8 drops then a back load so im all for it, but can it begin tomorrow :grimacing:

yeah, i heard it aswell, i don’t think they gave the subject enough time to allow people opinion to be heard though. and the doctor needs to get there facts the right way round, 43% of suicyclest, sorry morons who can’t get a driving licence are alowed to ride a bicycle with out any training just about anywhere they want road’s, pavement’s, pedestrian area’s, most with out a single concern to any one alse around them. they have te right to ride a bicycle, not the responsability that goes with it. they ride through red light’s at intersections, but it’s not their fault when they get hit by a lawabiding vehicle driver. do the police ever arrest the cyclest, no, it’s allways the vehicle driver, for what? for no bloody reason what so ever. then the cyclest will claim compo from the innocent car driver, who is left with a damaged vehicle.
and as for the ■■■■■■■■ who ride up the inside of a left turning lorry, well natural selection is gonna claim them back, cause the gene pool guard didn’t stop them getting in.
and as for them wanting more mirrors, if trucks get any more mirrors there gonna create more blind spots that they elevate, thus puting other road users at risk,
tbh 99% of suicyclest should never be aloud anywhere near the road never mind anything with wheels

That’s a good idea, please ban us from central London so I dont have to go into the (zb) hole :smiling_imp:

I guess in the world some cyclists live in they own the roads and all goods get delivered by the fairies :unamused:

The problems lies with the educated people involving themselves in something they know very little about. They are obviously of the view that we drive lorries through towns for the sheer hell of it rather than use the by-pass if there is one.

The other point he made was that the the lorries caused pollution and that by transhipping the loads to smaller vehicles would reduce this pollution, and reduce congestion.

As they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and listening to a doctor talking absolute rubbish makes you wonder whether it is safe to be treated by them.

Grayham:
That’s a good idea,

I guess in the world some cyclists live in they own the roads and all goods get delivered by the fairies :unamused:

No either by rail broomstick or shanks pony :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Do any of these [zb]s understand what lorries actually do? It makes you wonder :unamused: :confused:

waddy640:

43% were truck related, that is bad…But 100% were bike related… The statistics say get rid of the bike, they are in 100% of the accidents :open_mouth: :unamused:

animal:

Grayham:
That’s a good idea,

No either by rail broomstick or shanks pony :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t talk daft, everything would get delivered by push bikes. :slight_smile:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00w04sw/Jeremy_Vine_26_11_2010

Starts just after 1.49

Seems Jeremy doesn’t know the sequence of traffic lights!

waddy640:

The other point he made was that the the lorries caused pollution and that by transhipping the loads to smaller vehicles would reduce this pollution, and reduce congestion.

I worked the figures out one night (it’s surprising how boring the M50 can be at 2.00 a.m.) :blush: :blush:

Assuming 1 x 1 tonne pallet per van replacing an average artic returning 7mpg, an average load of 26 x 1 tonne pallets would require 26 small vans returning at least 182mpg to break even on fuel. That does not allow for more congestion caused by 26 vans per lorry removed, more driver hours to pay for with higher prices and more delays unloading one pallet/vehicle at a time. Not to mention storage of said vans when not in use. The good doctor’s dry roasted lettuce leaves would now cost at least double what they currently do. This is a very simplified calculation, but I think it gets quite close to being accurate.

The only benefit would be to the producers of transit sized vans, although this would be offset by the reduction in lorry and trailer production. Also there would be plenty of part time van jobs to replace the full time lgv jobs lost. We could all get half a dozen part time van jobs to put food on the table :slight_smile:

I’m a cyclist but I have always been aware that lorries are quite big and heavy and it’s best to stay away from them if you can :wink:

Even Boris thinks lorries are necessary :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve had more than that on a Honda C50 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Anybody see that safety video that Cemex paid for, features Penny Mallory (the irritating “I’ve driven a rally car” woman)? it pulls the heart strings all the way through about a talented bird who gets squashed by mixer when it turns left. It actually shows the cctv of her just before getting hit, but did’nt show her cycle up the inside of a mixer crawling around a left turn… :unamused: The victim couldn’t’ve been that talented in the common sense department…

philgor:
yeah, i heard it aswell, i don’t think they gave the subject enough time to allow people opinion to be heard though. and the doctor needs to get there facts the right way round, 43% of suicyclest, sorry morons who can’t get a driving licence are alowed to ride a bicycle with out any training just about anywhere they want road’s, pavement’s, pedestrian area’s, most with out a single concern to any one alse around them. they have te right to ride a bicycle, not the responsability that goes with it. they ride through red light’s at intersections, but it’s not their fault when they get hit by a lawabiding vehicle driver. do the police ever arrest the cyclest, no, it’s allways the vehicle driver, for what? for no bloody reason what so ever. then the cyclest will claim compo from the innocent car driver, who is left with a damaged vehicle.
and as for the [zb] who ride up the inside of a left turning lorry, well natural selection is gonna claim them back, cause the gene pool guard didn’t stop them getting in.and as for them wanting more mirrors, if trucks get any more mirrors there gonna create more blind spots that they elevate, thus puting other road users at risk,
tbh 99% of suicyclest should never be aloud anywhere near the road never mind anything with wheels

Touche!! :laughing:

jimti:

waddy640:

43% were truck related, that is bad…But 100% were bike related… The statistics say get rid of the bike, they are in 100% of the accidents :open_mouth: :unamused:

:grimacing:

Yeah, I heard it too, was on the phone to my brother (a van driver) at the time, so I asked what his van can carry - around 800kg, I had a 30t box on my arse end at the time.

As said, 1 truck replaces A LOT of vans, and, usually we’re only going a few places in a city centre, or it goes on smaller trucks.

I’m lucky, multi-drop is rare on boxes, but it does happen, idiots like this don’t realise how many vans, how much time, how much fuel, how many drivers, how much congestion, how much increased risk to other road users etc etc etc.

We’ve been hearing a lot about this recently, I think there is a bit of a powerfull lobby group at work.
They go on about training for truck drivers or banning trucks from the City Centres, not having worked out that trucks only go into City Centres because they have a delivery.

What they never seem to lobby for is Education for Cyclists to stop them going down the nearside of a truck that is turning left,

I also blame councils for pandering to lobby groups (but doing it half arsed as usual) and narrowing the carriageway by putting pathetic cycle lanes down the side of them leaving hardly enough room for a truck and hardly enough room for a bike. I know many cyclist refuse to use them as they think they are dangerous especially if there are pedestrian barriers on one side, it leaves the cyclist with nowhere to go in the event of something coming into the cycle lane.