Jeremy vine today

If anybody is interested, one of the subjects for today is a discussion on whether hgvs should be banned from cities during the day to protect cyclists. Should be an interesting, balanced debate…

Gary

Cheers for that, normally listen to him but will make sure i do today…

Should be fun I bet he sides with the cyclist

Balanced?

I think not!!

Will have to download it an listen on catchup.

Any trucker that phones up complaining about the idea, which they will (probably an angry sounding fella with a yorkshire accent) is daft.

I am 100% all for complete lorry bans in city centres so we don’t have to bother with them. The fact it won’t really work isn’t my problem.

Briliant idea we can unload every lorry in to a fleet of transits help the unemployment figures.
Extra congestion and all the added cost may be a problem. But so what it will keep the cyclists happy.

As I’m not a fifty somthing middle class woman, who has a daughter called Tarquin and a weekend home in Cornwall. I don’t listen to Jeremy wine!

Every time this “city centre ban” malarkey comes up I agree with the idea a little bit more.

Not for their idea of a placid, cycling utopia made of marshmallow and fluffy clouds but just so I can see them whinge and whine when they have no more direct rapid deliveries, no large volume single drops and an excess charge for night time tips.

And for the high value loads are extra security going to be present? I don’t fancy tipping a trailer load of IT equipment to a premises in Lewisham at 3am.

Basically it’s ill thought out ■■■■■■■■ made up by people who have no concept of transport of any form other than a 30 min commute be it by bike, car, train or whatever.

It’s the city equivalent of Bradford upon Avon. And they deserve the same contempt for their revelry in their “crusade”.

And breathe …

I dont know why anyone even rings into the Vile show, he doesnt allow you an opinion unless it agrees with his own and he is an alien from Zog.

At least JY could laugh at himself

Maybe they should ban pushbikes, they are obviously dangerous things.

mucker85:
Maybe they should ban pushbikes, they are obviously dangerous things.

My first truck job was doing 30+ jobs around London Monday thru Wednesday and then Either Scotch or Southampton to Blandford and all around that area with around 20 drops. They were all builders merchants and DIY shops. I’m sure they’d all love to have to work through the night to accept delivery. Most of the stores only had the owner there or maybe the owner and 1 other.

As for the discussion on R2, it was Vine’s monthly have a go at trucks. He hasn’t got a clue. Then we had a know it all woman who obviously hasn’t a clue how truck networking works. It’s obvious they think we start at 7.30 and finish at 3.30pm.

Then we had Clive, a truck driver who called in. A good chunk of the discussion was regards a journalist who has been in a coma for 2 years after being run over by a truck that turned left. It was said that she was in front of the truck. Clive was adamant that no truck driver should pull alongside a cyclist from a set of light if they are turning left. At no point did anyone say that she may have come up the inside of him whilst sat at lights and then as he has been out from the kerb to make a left turn he wouldn’t have seen her in any window or mirror.

The biggest point that was missing is that nobody ever points out that maybe it’s cyclists that need to take a bit of training on what not to do around trucks. As a truck driver and a cyclist I see both sides. If cycling I never undertake any vehicle at traffic lights as you get cars as well as trucks who don’t notice you coming up their inside, and why should they ? It’s the last place you are expecting someone to be. On my bike I stay at the rear of any queue and that way the person who joins the queue after me has no excuse for not knowing I’m there. Another perk of doing this is that you get the wind shelter from any larger vehicle. If you stay behind that vehicle and can keep pace with it then make yourself visible by showing yourself to the drivers offside mirror if he slows or stops as this is were drivers are looking if they are in a vehicle with no rear view mirror such as cars have.

I was out walking today. And I was almost run over by a HiViz Cycling Clown, resplendent in lycra and dayglow idiot colours, as he pedalled furiously down the pavement towards me…he did not slow down and if I hadn’t shifted he would have hit me. ■■■■■■.

I think we should ban cyclists in the day time as they are obviously dangerous maniacs… :laughing:

As it happens I too was listening to the show with some disbelief and shouting occasional abuse at the radio :laughing:
The reason there were no deaths in Paris for instance means the French cyclists are more inteigent. Why not ban cyclists from city centres instead ?
The reason it’s mpstly women who get killed is simple … women and stupid :laughing: All these fools ride up the inside of trucks and have no concern whatsoever for the drivers lack of vision. All you guys should say ‘Ok, no more inner city dliveries full stop’ and see how soon they change their minds.

if all trucks deliver at night then surely supermarkets factories and rdcs will be open. How do these workers get to work? Some will cycle to work and be on the road when these night lorries are on the road!

My uncle (who’s now almost 89 years old) turned the radio off during this debate as he couldn’t believe how stupid folk are and it wound him up!! He asked me ‘how the ■■■■ do they think all the stuff they buy every week gets to the shop/supermarket etc.?’

You can’t polish a turd can you? :laughing:

twitter.com/RussDowning/status/3 … 16/photo/1
We could always try this.

Because its always the cyclists fault.
bikebiz.com/news/read/eye-tr … sts/014727