Should be interesting…

Doubt there will be fair representation

Same crap as usual ,
HGV drivers - Bad
Cyclists - good !
Nothing about cyclist doing some BASIC training , ins etc
Yes drivers need to pay lots off attention
But cyclists need to help there selfs.
Noticed no one answered the guys question if they would be happy to pay the extra for the night time deliverys or would they not complain about the noise !

People are so out of touch,he says that accidents shouldn’t happen where lorrys pull up behind a cyclist and then when the lights change they just pull away and turn left and run the cyclist over,I bet this has never happened where the cyclist was there first.I wish we could just for 1 week do what these people are saying about banning trucks in city centres during rush hour which by the way in London is from 6 in the morning till 7 at night or put all delivers to night time only they would be the first to moan when prices go up and shops run out of goods :unamused:

Went as expected! Focus on the bad points, could never blame the people who don’t pay road tax, or take a test or even training to ride the road.

Very easy to look at statistics but these people need to get out there in a truck and see for themselves.

JV usually has someone from both sides of the debate to push their point. If it was all “HGV bad” then where was the defence? (I didn’t catch it as I’ve stopped driving for today). Whilst there are undoubtedly more prats on a pushbike (including the clueless and off their heads etc.) than behind the wheel of a truck, there are few cases of truckers being killed by someone on a bike, but still it’s the cyclists’ responsibility to try to get as far away as poss from a truck not vice versa.

i didnt hear all of it but i did catch the driver who rang up trying to explain how trucks turn etc he sounded very reasonable and didnt make us sound like morons unlike that clown of a driver they normally have on

I think a lot of cyclists just lack basic common sense and survival instincts. Best advice I was ever given years ago on moped training was always assume the other person can’t see you and you will be safe. Anybody riding up the inside of a LGV even if it is stationary is asking for trouble and deserves to be squashed

It’s called Darwinism. Survival of the fittest/most intelligent.

I somehow manage to survive each 24 hours by not doing stupid life threatening things such as walking in lane 3 of the m6, head butting a moving train, smoking a ■■■ in a gas works and also not cycling up the inside of trucks.

If I did any of the above I’d deserve what’s coming and be helping the human race by removing myself fr the gene pool.

kjw21:
It’s called Darwinism. Survival of the fittest/most intelligent.

I somehow manage to survive each 24 hours by not doing stupid life threatening things such as walking in lane 3 of the m6, head butting a moving train, smoking a ■■■ in a gas works and also not cycling up the inside of trucks.

If I did any of the above I’d deserve what’s coming and be helping the human race by removing myself fr the gene pool.

Summed up very well!

cliffton 27:
i didnt hear all of it but i did catch the driver who rang up trying to explain how trucks turn etc he sounded very reasonable and didnt make us sound like morons unlike that clown of a driver they normally have on

I know exactly who you mean. He’s been on Vine loads of times and does the industry no favours whatsoever. I heard the whole program and it was pretty fair to be honest.

One idea … compulsory day lights or high viz clothing/markings for cyclists. Lots of motorbikes use headlights during the day and you can spot them a mile off.

Ched:

cliffton 27:

I know exactly who you mean. He’s been on Vine loads of times and does the industry no favours whatsoever. I heard the whole program and it was pretty fair to be honest.

One idea … compulsory day lights or high viz clothing/markings for cyclists. Lots of motorbikes use headlights during the day and you can spot them a mile off.

its guy something and most of the time he ends up just shouting down the other person and makes us all look like knuckle draggers

I thought it was a well balanced piece, although only scratched the surface and didn’t reinforce the point that cyclists need to take more care. There’s no point being smug and indignant that you have the right of way when your actions put yourself at risk of going under the lorry.

The driver who rang in called Clive, used to work at Wisemans in Bridgwater, and seems he still does from what he said. I thought he did ok and wasn’t ranty.

I’ve heard it on BBC 2, they are simply idiots. Somebody suggested the haulage companies should use cameras on each vehicle, all over the truck to avoid hitting the IDIOT cyclists, who are pulling up on the left of an indicating truck… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

cliffton 27:

Yeah I have to agree the usual ■■■■ they have on Guy something or other just makes me cringe listening to him.

I agree ban truck from citys would make ma life a hella of a lot easier. Let sum van meet me on the outskirts and make 5 runs back and forth. And cities that ban trucks all goods should have a tax surcharge on goods to pay for the extra logistics.

merc0447:
I agree ban truck from citys would make ma life a hella of a lot easier. Let sum van meet me on the outskirts and make 5 runs back and forth. And cities that ban trucks all goods should have a tax surcharge on goods to pay for the extra logistics.

Lets ban cycles in the cities, there are plenty of buses and taxis around and they do pay into the system. The cyclists just moan when they get run over even though they ride like prats.

What needs to be changed is the way the street is set up , at the moment there is a situation where the cycle path leads up to the junction in the main road then stops whilst truck & bike share the space for the turn & it doesn’t work, there should be a filtered barrier system in place for cyclists turning left , running off the cycle path before the lights so they go behind the barrier , they will then have to be courteous to each other to filter through when the light goes green , the truck, if it gets to close will hit the barrier not the cyclists , if a cyclists takes the chance to go round the outside of the barrier he runs the risk of getting squashed , if they need to go straight on then they are educated to wait behind the truck & back past the filter line until the truck moves away & either goes straight ahead or turns , if they wait they will see which way the truck is going to go, as for ones going left they will be protected by the barrier ,.

They will probably ban trucks without thinking it through , will Mrs Jones at no 13 be happy to get her IKEA sofa at 3am or pay the premium delivery charge for a van in the day , or they will just ban artics not realising that the majority if the time its rigids that are involved & they always make out that every truck is traveling at a weight of 44tons ! The other day on a police show about this they referred to it as the 44ton unladen truck crushing someone , how is it 44 ton unladen?

The vast majority of comments on the Radio 2 Facebook page are positive in favour of lorry drivers. One blokes going off on one, but he’s been shot down.
The advantage of cameras on the side of the lorry is so you could prove to the law that it was in fact cyclists fault and not lorry drivers, as is the normal assumption.
Granted there are drivers at fault, but, and i have no evidence of this, i personally feel a lot of the problems/accidents are caused by cyclists who own the entire uk road network. Just my opinion

I actually shouted at the radio when Vine asked the lorry driver why not do all deliveries at night? I shouted “for the same reason you don’t do the midnight 'til 2 am slot ya moron”