B+E test

Just wondering if anyone on here has done a b+e test. or knows anything about it?
Is it hard? Could someone with trailer experience but no official training pass the test?

i dont see the point in doing a b+e test tbh, i mean if you already have your cat c licence go for the big boy c+e then u get c+e , c1+e &b+e

but i wouldnt imagine its that hard tbh its simple enough, but if you passed before 97 you dont need it and im pretty sure you can tow up to 750kg without b+e

It’s the same as the lorry tests…just in a smaller vehicle!!
Reversing exercise,braking exercise and uncoupling as well as approx 50 minutes on the road.
Probably best to at least have an assessment beforehand from an instructor to see if you do need any training.
You can tow up to 750kg on your B licence.

Steve

scbk:
Just wondering if anyone on here has done a b+e test. or knows anything about it?
Is it hard? Could someone with trailer experience but no official training pass the test?

Do I assume that you only have a B licence :question:

Yes I have a B, P, provis A and hopefully soon a full A

Beacuse of the GVW of my van I can tow up to 900kgs but if/when I get a bigger van I won’t be able to tow the same trailer without a test and will need a tacho
In the last 2yrs I’ve probably done about 20k miles towing and about 80k in total, but I’m not sure what standard is expected in the test?

I haven’t heard of many people doing b+e, guess most don’t know or bother. I wouldn’t mind a C, C1, or C+E licence as it would be handy but I have no real need so would be a waste of money

scbk:
Beacuse of the GVW of my van I can tow up to 900kgs

Interesting 900kgs hmmm ■■ come on Rog we await your reply …

You’re allowed to tow 750kgs or a train of up to 3500

1. The requirement for taking the test does not apply if the Maximum Authorised Mass (or MAM) of the trailer is under 750Kgs. The MAM is the maximum potential weight of the trailer and it’s contents as shown on the weight plate or manufacturer’s handbook and not the actual weight. Similarly, if you passed your car test prior to 1st January 1997, you do not need to take the additional test.
    For example, most horse trailers have a MAM of between 2 tonne and 2.5 tonne; most caravans are between 1.2 and 1.5 tonne.

2. If the MAM of the trailer is over 750Kgs you need to take the test if the following weight combinations apply:
    Either The combined MAM of the car and trailer exceeds 3500kgs (3.5 tonnes) or The MAM of the trailer is greater than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle.

3. If you passed your car test on or after 1 January 1997 and either of the above weight combinations applies, you will need to take the test. This will give you B+E entitlement (see our license definitions table further down.)

4. If the combined MAM is less than 3500Kgs, and the MAM of the trailer is less than the unladen weight of the vehicle, you will not need to take the test.

5. If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you will have category B+E entitlement on your license already and will not need to take the test.

scbk:
You’re allowed to tow 750kgs or a train of up to 3500

Remembering of course that it’s the PLATED weights to take into account and not the ACTUAL weights when adding up the train weight to ensure it isn’t over 3500kg, so if you have a van plated at 2500kg and a trailer plated at 1500kg then it’s illegal on a B licence even if both are empty and the actual weight is well under 3500kg.

Paul

How do you work out the MAM of home-made car transporters or other trailers :open_mouth:

pete904ni:
How do you work out the MAM of home-made car transporters or other trailers :open_mouth:

I wondered that as well :exclamation:

pete904ni wrote:-

How do you work out the MAM of home-made car transporters or other trailers

Well if you are capable of making a trailer, you should be capable of knowing what its design weight is - maybe from the capacity of the suspension or a copy of a similar one. I’m not sure whether it is a legal requirement to have the MAM on the trailer - I have a thought that it is. However I can’t see anyone arguing the point if you mark a trailer up at a MAM of say 900kg or any other suitable weight you think. Only problem would come if it was overloaded!

mustang:
It’s the same as the lorry tests…just in a smaller vehicle!!
Reversing exercise,braking exercise and uncoupling as well as approx 50 minutes on the road.
Probably best to at least have an assessment beforehand from an instructor to see if you do need any training.
You can tow up to 750kg on your B licence.

Steve

Sound advice test is the same as a C+E same test centre same examiners

pete904ni:

If the trailer was built since 1982 then by law it must have its MAM clearly marked and visible. If you don’t already have this then you’re already breaking the law.

As for working it out, as a starting point, find out the MAM of the tyres you have on it, the suspension units/axles you have used and the towing hitch, and pick the lowest of those. Assuming you have built a sturdy enough trailer around it, that will probably do you, if you haven’t then you probably shouldn’t have built it in the first place :wink:. If you need it to be any lower to keep yourself within the legal limits for driving on a category B licence then that’s up to you, but make sure you don’t make it so low that you can’t get a useful load on it… Then get some paint and mark it up somewhere obvious and you’re legal.

Paul

so mabye if it had pre-82 hubs it would be fine :wink:

pete904ni:

No. Because that only relates to the requirement to have the MAM marked.

To my knowledge, the only essential difference between a C+E test and a B+E test, is that with a B+E test, having recoupled the trailer, you then wind the ‘dolly’ wheel so that it begins to lift the rear of the towing vehicle, in order to demonstrate that the coupling is secure.

Thankfully, not the case with a C+E. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I never knew there was so many laws about car trailers…

Can’t imagine many people being caught out so long as they have B+E and the trailer is not rotten!!

Well I went and put in for it myself there have an assessment on thursday.

gogzy i dont see the point in doing a b+e test tbh, i mean if you already have your cat c licence go for the big boy c+e then u get c+e , c1+e &b+e

About £250 all in to do B+E test against £650+ for C+E

Krankee:

pete904ni:

No. Because that only relates to the requirement to have the MAM marked.

To my knowledge, the only essential difference between a C+E test and a B+E test, is that with a B+E test, having recoupled the trailer, you then wind the ‘dolly’ wheel so that it begins to lift the rear of the towing vehicle, in order to demonstrate that the coupling is secure.

Thankfully, not the case with a C+E. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Plus you’ll have to read a number plate, as no medical is sat prior to the test.

gpc273:
Plus you’ll have to read a number plate, as no medical is sat prior to the test.

Had to make that a bit bigger to see it :wink: :laughing: :laughing: