Bit off topic, B+E

im looking at taking my b+e as i need the ability to tow behind my 4x4 and i cant afford to take my c+e at them moment.

i would like to borrow my friends trailer and just do a bit of practice with the reversing maneuver and then go in for a test. if i fail it will only cost me a small amount and i think its worth a punt (shhh ive been towing for years… and i did my cat c recently enough to remember the basics…)

only issue, my 4x4 is auto. now i have a manual cat B, and i know you can do c and c+e in auto and get manual licence… but what about a b+e?

also can i use my friends ifor Williams hb505 horse trailer?

If you have B in manual then you’ll get whatever you pass in both manual and auto entitlements.

im not so sure that accurate, ive been researching this since starting this topic and i think ive answered my own question…

gov.uk/car-trailer-driving-test/car-rules

however we all know that the qov.uk website is not always accurate so…

Well thats pants. I passed both my C and C+E in auto yet I still have manual entitlements because I have B in manual.

qwakers:
im looking at taking my b+e as i need the ability to tow behind my 4x4 and i cant afford to take my c+e at them moment.

i would like to borrow my friends trailer and just do a bit of practice with the reversing maneuver and then go in for a test. if i fail it will only cost me a small amount and i think its worth a punt (shhh ive been towing for years… and i did my cat c recently enough to remember the basics…)

only issue, my 4x4 is auto. now i have a manual cat B, and i know you can do c and c+e in auto and get manual licence… but what about a b+e?

also can i use my friends ifor Williams hb505 horse trailer?

Can you not use the driving schools equipment? Surely they have a manual vehicle available.

Scrub that, just retread your post!

Could you not borrow someone’s manual vehicle?

i could, but the only manual vehicle i have access too can only tow 1.5ton, a ifor 505 weights 1 ton and the test rules say it needs 600kg minimum load in it…

If you have manual B and C then do AUTO B+E you will NOT get manual B+E unless you are in NI

The law on this for the rest of the UK is due to change at some point when the Govt get around to it

Having B & C manual along with B+E auto then passing C+E auto or manual will upgrade B+E to manual

The B+E test
No medical or theory test required
Read a number plate from a certain distance
VIDEO - Show Me Tell Me Questions = youtube.com/watch?v=fqw6Ua3k … re=related - usually 5
The next three can be in any order:-
VIDEO - Reversing Exercise = drivesafedriving.co.uk/b_e_rev_movie.htm - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
DSA REVERSING TEST AREA DIAGRAM = gov.uk/government/uploads/s … iagram.pdf
VIDEO - Uncouple/couple up = youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_5KOe8 … re=related - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
One hour road drive - includes the independent drive and is done virtually the same as the basic car test

The trailer must now be loaded with 600 kgs of sand bags or a 1000 kgs water IBC for the test so most companies are now training with that weight in the trailer = gov.uk/new-laden-testing-ru … t-vehicles

Well explained here = trailertraining-wales.co.uk/test.html

DISCLAIMER - I have no connection to any companies which may be featured in those videos

This is interesting BUT NOT RECOMMENDED – a B licence towing set up can be presented for the B+E test but L plates must be used for the test that means you can train yourself, go to test by yourself, fit L plates, do the test, then, pass or fail, remove L plates and drive away by yourself.
DSA B+E TEST AND VEHICLE/TRAILER REQUIREMENTS = direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … DG_4022521
Remember that the required 600 kgs of sand bags or 1 x 1000 IBC filled with water will be required in the trailer and the load must be secure

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner
The supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they are driving

thanks rog i was hoping you’d reply :slight_smile:

qwakers:
thanks rog i was hoping you’d reply :slight_smile:

I do a lot of posting on this issue in the hho towing clinic on the Horse and hounds site

yeah i thought that was you, my mum asked you a question about out of scope driving a while back.