Cat C License + Trailer entitlement

Hi All,

So I passed after 1997 and hold a C license, which according to the DVLA allows me

Vehicles over 3,500 kg, with a trailer up to 750 kg

having never passed either a B+E or C+E test, does this apply to me? can I pull a trailer up to 750kg? I always thought I had to take the B+E test or C+E before I could pull any trailer regardless of weight.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

Scarab:
Hi All,

So I passed after 1997 and hold a C license, which according to the DVLA allows me

Vehicles over 3,500 kg, with a trailer up to 750 kg

having never passed either a B+E or C+E test, does this apply to me? can I pull a trailer up to 750kg? I always thought I had to take the B+E test or C+E before I could pull any trailer regardless of weight.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

750 kgs MAX is correct for any vehicle over 3.5 tonnes if not got the +E bit that covers that catagory of vehicle

B (car) licence on it’s own allows you to tow a trailer providing the towing vehicle and the trailer do not exceed 3.5 tonnes which means that for example you can have a 2 tonne car towing a 1.5 tonne trailer on a B licence - no B+E required for that - ain’t our rules quaint !!

When I was contracting, I drove a transit towing a compressor (not sure of it’s weight - probably a ton ish). Was I breaking the law then? I’m 21 so definitely no grandad rights for me!

chris_89:
When I was contracting, I drove a transit towing a compressor (not sure of it’s weight - probably a ton ish). Was I breaking the law then? I’m 21 so definitely no grandad rights for me!

If the max plated weight of the van was 2.5 tonne max and the trailer was plated at 1 tonne max then it was legal
If the van was plated at 3.5 tonnes max and the trailer was plated 750 kgs max then that was also legal

I see. Not too sure then, it was a LWB ■■■■■■ so I would imagine 3.5, just had a quick scoot round on the net and it looks like the compressors are 750kg. Not a hardened criminal after all then :unamused:

chris_89:
I see. Not too sure then, it was a LWB ■■■■■■ so I would imagine 3.5, just had a quick scoot round on the net and it looks like the compressors are 750kg. Not a hardened criminal after all then :unamused:

dont be to sure mate the smallest ones in our yard are plated at 1300kg, our gaffer just wouldnt belive me when i told him the lads couldnt tow it behind a 7.5tonner without the full c1e or class 1 !

chris_89:

eddster1979:
dont be to sure mate the smallest ones in our yard are plated at 1300kg, our gaffer just wouldnt belive me when i told him the lads couldnt tow it behind a 7.5tonner without the full c1e or class 1 !

Quite a few gaffers etc are unaware of the licence rules or are aware and bend them for their own benfit :unamused:

Well I was sad enough to just have a quick poke around on a hire company website who had the same compressor. They say the weight is 750KG.

Doesn’t grandfather rights entitle you to C1+E though anyway?

If you passed your car test before Jan 1997 you have a restricted C1E, ie the max combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is 8250 kgs but the trailer itself isn’t restricted to 750 kgs.

Single tool compressors are generally 750kg, not much else though. IIRC anything over 750kg needs to be braked, up to 3500kg that can just be by pressure on the hitch.