Auto or manual

Im 23 years old and have held my class1 for just over 12 months.At the moment im driving a 5 ear old scania topline with a manual box.I love shifting gears myself and pride myself on being able to select the right gear all of the time.The concern I have is that the fleet is being upgraded and all the new trucks are autos.This might sound a touch stupid but I would consider myself less of a driver if I had an auto.I have watched for aslong as i can remember watching my old man shift like a pro and am comcerned that the level of driver skill will eventually be lost.

You’ll always have to pass your test on a manual though i reckon!

Saying that i’m all for autos, i’ve used Merc Powershift and Volvo I-shift in the last 2 days and they’re the way forward, so relaxing. Volvo system best though.

Gaz1986:
Im 23 years old

I reckon that the majority, if not all, will be autos in your lifetime

maybe so.If that is the case then how will the industry pride its self on bein the profesional driver

Gaz1986:
maybe so.If that is the case then how will the industry pride its self on bein the profesional driver

The using of the gears whether manual or using the auto options, if it has any, is only a small part of being a professional LGV (or any other) driver.

Please explain how its a small part.maybe im missing something

Gaz1986:
Please explain how its a small part.maybe im missing something

Observation
Planning
Anticipation
Positioning
Speed
Correct use of accelerator
Correct use of braking systems

I could go on but I think you get the idea

The THINKING aspect of driving is what many drivers are missing and forms the majority of the task

Alertness■■? Studies have already been conducted on manuals v autos.The auto driver was less alert which im my humble opinion is dangerous.There was a breakdown 1 week ago where ilive and the auto box was smashed and locked itself in gear which resulted to a monumental task of detatching it from the trailer to get it recovered

Gaz1986:
Alertness■■? Studies have already been conducted on manuals v autos.The auto driver was less alert which im my humble opinion is dangerous.

You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else but if someone wants to use an excuse that not having a manual gearbox will cause them to be less alert then I have to ask - are they a poor driver ?

Having an auto gearbox does not stop the brain from working !!

I’ve heard this sort of excuse being used for speed limiters

Nothing to do with the driver.its a proven fact that if the brain has less to do then mistakes will happen.Im not after an arguement just wanting to know if my beliefs in driving a manual will make people a better driver accurate.

Gaz1986:
Im not after an arguement

This is a discussion with differing points of view - not an argument :smiley: :smiley:

Gaz1986:
just wanting to know if my beliefs in driving a manual will make people a better driver accurate.

Sometimes we have to question our beliefs and discussing them is a good first step.

We are all human and respond to different stimuli but the mind can be ‘trained’ to consider different ways - we have to do that ourselves - no-one can force that upon someone.

I can sit in the passenger seat of a vehicle and never get bored as I constantly look at everything as though I was driving - my brain is working full time and yet I have nothing to physically do !!

Good point but approaching a bend, roundabout, slip road etc,I have to assess speed and which gear would be best in an auto just hit the brakes then the throttle.No brain input is required.I drive a 14 speed with no low split light so have to know my truck.In an auto u can get in and go.I approach banks where low range is needed but with abit of knowledge i hit high range crawler (without grinding) so maintaIn a better speed.

Gaz1986:
Good point but approaching a bend, roundabout, slip road etc,I have to assess speed and which gear would be best in an auto just hit the brakes then the throttle.No brain input is required.I drive a 14 speed with no low split light so have to know my truck.In an auto u can get in and go.I approach banks where low range is needed but with abit of knowledge i hit high range crawler (without grinding) so maintaIn a better speed.

This is what I was getting at when I said - using any options available for the autobox.

Getting familiar with an autobox, and there are many different types, can be as challenging as getting used to different manuals.

How do you meen different autos.Its as simple as putting it in drunk (d-drive) and going isnt it

Gaz1986:
How do you meen different autos.Its as simple as putting it in drunk (d-drive) and going isnt it

Definitely not.
Each will have different gear ratios - some may have more gears than others - the only way to find out is to ‘play’ with it.

Car drivers are known to be terrible with autos - they put them in ‘D’ and have no idea what their auto gearbox is capable of - I get them all the time with my advanced driving sessions.

I accept differnent ratios and gears,but as its an auto it shouldnt be an issue as the driver doesnt select the gear.

Gaz1986:
I accept differnent ratios and gears,but as its an auto it shouldnt be an issue as the driver doesnt select the gear.

What happens if you use ‘kickdown’ - has it got ‘gear hold’ option and what is the effect of that ■■ - those two alone will be different on every auto box

Thats easy dont use the kickdown as it uses alot more fuel.I know this as the kickdown on our trucks have been removed.If you have to play with settings while driving to get it to hold gears etc then why have an auto.Surely they have been tested and developed to left to their own devices

Gaz1986:
Thats easy dont use the kickdown as it uses alot more fuel.I know this as the kickdown on our trucks have been removed.If you have to play with settings while driving to get it to hold gears etc then why have an auto.Surely they have been tested and developed to left to their own devices

Most very modern autos will do most changes correctly for most situations but not for ALL situations which is why the driver must still be planning and thinking well ahead all the time.

Keep an open mind about changes - having negative preconceptions will stifle the enjoyment of trying something new.

I accept that change can be good.Its just when you say MOST of the time.I consider myself a litle old school where the driver controls everything not some of it.I fully understand with your experience that you have seen the industry change and at some point you would of had doubts over new technology.I like to be involved within the drive.