Manual or Auto?

Hi guys, am just so curious to know what is the real difference when it’s coming to training and taking a test for a Class 2 then on to a Class 1.

Other than the “We recomend AUTO over manual as it is easy to drive, no need to work out speed and gears at roundabouts, because when you pass in an auto you still get a manual (if u got CAT B manual) anyway, and because so many businesses are upgrading their fleets to AUTO and you are most likely to be in with an AUTO”, Which vehicle/gearbox would you preffere and why?

I got my training starting on the 25th and have opted for a MANUAL as I had two assessments taken in an 18T MANUAL but have until a week from today to change my mind and go for an AUTO.

The reason I opted for a manual is because I believe if I train and pass in a MANUAL, it will be fairy easy for me if I get thrown into an AUTO on ma own and on the first day of work, (I believe) as opposed to an AUTO I would S**t ma pants if got thrown into a Manual from an auto.

Have you failed in a MANUAL/AUTO then went on to pass in an AUTO/MANUAL?
Please share your experience :laughing:

It’s all down to candidate really, I see where you are coming from, but paying x amount for test, why would you put in more things to fail on? I’m taking in an auto, once test passed, got a manual truck waiting for me 4 over 4, doesn’t bother me one bit about “not been trained” on that gearbox as I can learn the gears at the ease without the pressure of a test in an open space/industrial estate, but that’s me, iv already driven a manual and was ok with them. It’s not the right or wrong way to do a test, it’s all down to the candidate, you have a valid point, and I believe I have a valid point.

This man v auto will always be a top topic in discussion I think lol

The way this discussion goes on thread after thread on this topic I would like to ask just one question.

Has anybody on this board actually failed a test in an auto? Believers in the auto option make it sound as if it’s a certainty that tests will be passed without the dreaded thought of changing gears.

If auto is such a good choice why then do so few car tests happen in automatics. It must surely be easier to pass that test in one.

Do potential truck drivers not already have the basic skills needed to drive manuals? Clutch control, engine speed to gear selection etc. The Govt must think so to allow a pass in an automatic to qualify a driver for a manual truck.

Has anybody on this board actually failed a test in an auto?

O yes! I don’t give any bull about pass rates etc. I rest quietly, happy in the knowledge that we get rather more folks pass than many other trainers. But taking the test on auto in no way ensures a test pass. It’s perfectly true that it takes the gears out of the reckoning and so gives more time to concentrate on other stuff.

But an auto wont stop you speeding. It wont make you approach traffic lights correctly. It wont stop you messing up the reverse. The list goes on and on.

My overriding comment is that some of those who pass on auto pass with fewer minors than would have been on manual. And, without a doubt, some folks that may not have quite made it with manual will stand a better chance on auto. It’s certainly easier for the trainer to use auto. But to suggest that auto is the only way forward and that manuals have had their day is IMO barmy.

All my candidates have the choice of manual or automatic and it’s 100% their choice unless they say “leave it up to you” (which is surprisingly common).

Trainers are (or should be) in the business of providing a service to the public and corporate clients. It really isn’t our role to tell our valued customers what to do or how to do it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I was training a lad today who was struggling with the gears (slap over) type box) consequently because he was thinking about the gears it was affecting other things ie mirror checks approach speed to junctions to name a few.

However as the course progressed and a few pointers from me the penny eventually dropped with the gear changing and his overall drive improved dramatically as well.

An auto would definitely benefit a not so natural driver but on this occasion the trainee got a huge boost from over coming his gear issues.

Paul :smiley:

Look here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120912

Thanx all for your replies, I think I got ma mind set now. Couldn’t agree more or disagree less with some, but spending about 2 hours (an hour per session) behind 18T manuals, changing gears and roundabouts were never a problem.

The only difference was the size of monsters I was operating and mirrors mirrors mirrors, compared to ma tiny car! I hope on the first day of ma training all this will set in then I can move on to the next lesson.

I really do believe autos get you pass the test way too easy as opposed to manuals but they won’t really prepare you to be ready for whatever.

I would rather part with my £££s and learn in a manual in 1 go and resit if necessary and be ready for the real world, than learn and resit in an auto then spend more to catch up with manuals :open_mouth:

A sensible way forward for you is a small manual. You’ll get used to any increased size after the test without running the risk of kerbing it during the test and it costing you for a retest.

But a good trainer will be able to get you to standard on a larger vehicle - just more to it.

Thanx Peter, I will see if they can offer me the choice before the training start. It’s a shame you are way too far away from Essex, your school got more good positive reviews and recommendation… only if I lived near that side

Mwanyoko:
Thanx Peter, I will see if they can offer me the choice before the training start. It’s a shame you are way too far away from Essex, your school got more good positive reviews and recommendation… only if I lived near that side

Give John a ring at Flair Training.

Absolutely. Small manual vehicle. Or do residential with me.

Reading posts about “its easier in an auto” yes no gear changes is one less thing to do but is it me or do trainees think everything else suddenly become easier? .
Everything else in the test is still as hard or am I talking rubbish? (Probably lol ).

Jeff.

Everything else in the test is “just as hard” but it becomes easier to deal with if concentration isn’t going to the gearchange.

I am learning in a auto for my Cat C, it feels easy to drive but it does give me more concentration on everything else, but I fear that my knowledge in geared vehicles is minimum other than reading up about it.

I think do cat c in a manual so you get the feel then do c+e in an auto if you want as you will already no how to drive a manual ive got my c+ e on friday 2nd day training today in a 6 speed splitter

It is all down to individual choice when I booked for my class c I wasn’t bothered about manaual or auto but was given an auto and I’m doing my c+e next week and I know that’s an auto . I don’t mind getting into a manual but luckily the job I now have all above 7.5tonne are auto so I won’t be facing that problem yet but having driven allsorts over the years I’m not worried if we have a rental and it’s manual. The test was easier in the auto not having to worry about gear changes and being able to concentrate more on mirrors etc .

I can’t believe this thread. People want to become hgv drivers but choose auto over manual because it’s easier. Just think a minute. You will pass and more than likely you are going to end up at an agency. This means you will experience different vehicles at different places and being agency you will be viewed as dirt (reality sorry) you won’t have some experienced old lag to guide you. First day you get a manual. You pooping your pants under pressure and then you can’t even pull out of a yard. Do you really want that?

My grandmother could drive an auto artic (forwards at least). Fail to prepare. PREPARE TO FAIL.

midlifetrucker:
I can’t believe this thread. People want to become hgv drivers but choose auto over manual because it’s easier. Just think a minute. You will pass and more than likely you are going to end up at an agency. This means you will experience different vehicles at different places and being agency you will be viewed as dirt (reality sorry) you won’t have some experienced old lag to guide you. First day you get a manual. You pooping your pants under pressure and then you can’t even pull out of a yard. Do you really want that?

My grandmother could drive an auto artic (forwards at least). Fail to prepare. PREPARE TO FAIL.

This is exactly my point and my fear. I want to train and get not only the licence but at least basic skills and be repared for what am most likely to encounter after the examiner let me loose.

The two scariest things about artics is reversing and gearboxes. Autos are simple. Point and shoot. Forwards an artic is easier than a rigid. I used to occasionally take a six wheeler with a massive overhang into London, give me an artic any day over that. I am freelance (not agency) but work for mainly same companies give or take the odd day. Fortunately I passed my test in the old days when you had to have a manual and you had to decelerate down to crawler as part of the test.

If I was taking my training I would take a manual. I would also ask how the reversing is taught. If they do the two turns to the left etcetc thing then it doesn’t prepare you. I personally in hindsight would have paid an extra day or at least half a day devoted to reversing and how the trailer reacts to lock etc. I would also practise dropping and hitching until you have a natural method. A confident manner in an assessment will get you the job. They are just looking for someone to get from a to b without damaging anything or one. It’s not about passing the test its about becoming a professional lorry driver. The sinking feeling of getting in a truck with an assessor and looking down and seeing a gear stick that you have no idea of isn’t a good one.

I have been driving for 30 years I still ask drivers about new trucks and gearboxes etc if I am stuck in a queue. Never had anyone tell me to get lost.

elmet training:

Mwanyoko:

Give John a ring at Flair Training.

I have been in touch with them (flair) already and their offer is well decent (moneywise) compared to Scania,
But I live in Southend, work nights in Lakeside just 10 minutes drive from Scania (Purfleet) and they have offered me to do afternoon training 4-8 which will then allow me to go start work at 9pm - 4am then go home sleep and rest between 0430 - 3pm.

I thought that way I wont have to take a week off work for the training neither will I have to worry about petrol and rush hour traffic to/from chelmsford which probably would result in me calling into work late or so…

Just a thought :open_mouth: