Manual or Auto?

Mwanyoko:
I want to train and get not only the licence but at least basic skills and be repared for what am most likely to encounter after the examiner let me loose.

Isn’t that more likely to be auto these days?

ROG:

Mwanyoko:
I want to train and get not only the licence but at least basic skills and be repared for what am most likely to encounter after the examiner let me loose.

It is most likely to be an auto but if you can’t drive an auto then to be honest should you be driving.

ROG:

True, it is more likely to be Autos but there’s still a high percentage of manuals, so that means the probability of me or any one new ending up in a Manual and struggle or worst mess up still exist…

Mwanyoko:

ROG:

True, it is more likely to be Autos but there’s still a high percentage of manuals, so that means the probability of me or any one new ending up in a Manual and struggle or worst mess up still exist…

You have the right attitude. Well done

Mwanyoko:

ROG:

Then are you saying that a newbie needs to be taught ALL the different types of gearbox beforehand?

If you put a car driver in an auto lorry and then a manual I would expect all drivers to be able to use an auto. The manual would be a lot more challenging. I think you could “bluff” an auto adseddment. I don’t think you could bluff a manual. My opinion

ROG:

Mwanyoko:

ROG:

Then are you saying that a newbie needs to be taught ALL the different types of gearbox beforehand?

Not neccessarily, but I believe since like myself, am gonna train in an 18T Scania 4/4 box, this will be enough to aid me with most if not all the basic skills including gears which if i get comfortable with, i won’t have a problem with a 6/6 box and sure will be way too easy to approach an auto since am just gonna sit and not think about the gear stick but still do the rest as in a manual…■■

How come many of us who passed years ago did it in a straight 6 manual then went on to drive all sorts of different boxes without any great issues ( except autos because they were not around at the time) :question:

Are we now saying that current newbies are much less capable than we were :question:

ROG:
How come many of us who passed years ago did it in a straight 6 manual then went on to drive all sorts of different boxes without any great issues ( except autos because they were not around at the time) :question:

Are we now saying that current newbies are much less capable than we were :question:

No what is being said is that those of us who pass in autos haven’t earned our yorkie bars yet :smiley: :smiley:

In the short time I have been on this forum this is the second debate regarding manual v auto and it seems people have strong opinions particularly toward manual BUT why is there an assumption that all those of us who pass in an auto will be dangerous on the road and have no clue as to how to change gear ?
Some of us have not just passed our car test and got into a hgv some of have driven lots of different vehicles over the years with different types of gearbox and no they are not a lorry gearbox but if you’ve used everything from column change up and have driven a variety of vans and 7.5tonnes does this still mean that when you get into a hgv with a manual box you won’t have a clue ?
I’m lucky where I work that all the hgv’s are auto but if we have a hire vehicle with a manual will I be daunted , no I won’t but according to some of the comments on here I will be out of my depth .

Gillberry:
In the short time I have been on this forum this is the second debate regarding manual v auto and it seems people have strong opinions particularly toward manual BUT why is there an assumption that all those of us who pass in an auto will be dangerous on the road and have no clue as to how to change gear ?
Some of us have not just passed our car test and got into a hgv some of have driven lots of different vehicles over the years with different types of gearbox and no they are not a lorry gearbox but if you’ve used everything from column change up and have driven a variety of vans and 7.5tonnes does this still mean that when you get into a hgv with a manual box you won’t have a clue ?
I’m lucky where I work that all the hgv’s are auto but if we have a hire vehicle with a manual will I be daunted , no I won’t but according to some of the comments on here I will be out of my depth .

I would assume that it is not really about being dangerouse on the road or having no clue as to hgv gear changes but it is about the likelyhood of an average person like me (who have probably never even driven nothing other than cars and sprinter vans in about 18 years of driving) having to really struggle and addapt to the very huge change not only in size but in speed adjustment and “YES” appropriate gear changes to slow down etc etc…

This struggle would be minimised for an average driver if train in a manual as opposed to an auto… i think■■? :astonished:

Mwanyoko:

Gillberry:

I would assume that it is not really about being dangerouse on the road or having no clue as to hgv gear changes but it is about the likelyhood of an average person like me (who have probably never even driven nothing other than cars and sprinter vans in about 18 years of driving) having to really struggle and addapt to the very huge change not only in size but in speed adjustment and “YES” appropriate gear changes to slow down etc etc…

This struggle would be minimised for an average driver if train in a manual as opposed to an auto… i think■■? :astonished:

Some of the posts on this and the other thread implied dangerous .
At the end of the day only you can decide , you could always pass in an auto then have an assessment drive in a manual . The whole debate centres around is auto easier to pass with or not and then if you pass in an auto does that mean you can’t drive a manaual because you didn’t pass in one and so will have no idea on how to drive a manual lorry .
If possible have an assessment drive in both manual and auto .

I don’t think anyone has implied dangerous. I couldn’t give a flying Gary what anyone passes in I am merely offering my opinion. Some people will adapt easily to a manual, some will fail epically. I am just saying that in an assessment when you are at maximum stress levels it could be the difference. Also consider if you fail an assessment it is quite upsetting and can dent your confidence.

Anyone coming into this industry at present must be .mad anyway.

Ive been reading this thread and various other ‘auto v manual’ threads,and I must be missing something.
Phrases like ‘Danger to others’.
‘Likely to cause an accident’ etc. What on earth is going on. Most manual cars now have 6 gears. Years ago we had 4. Everyone has adapted fine. Truck gearboxes have changed a little too,but they are not spaceships for gods sake!

Its very simple-if you have passed C in a manual,then you have some gear change experience. If you have passed in an auto,then you may struggle AT FIRST with the gears. But my point is-you must have driven cars so all you need to understand is that most manual gearshifts in wagons FEEL DIFFERENT,but you are still using a clutch and a gearstick.(a range change switch is simple,dont oiverthink it!)

If you have passed your test and are a shiny brand new driver,DONT PANIC. If an agency or whatever gives you a start and its a manual(of which you have no experience),you have 2 choices. Say ‘no’ or get on with it. If you are genuinely worried you should be contacting a trainer and paying for a 4/8/12 hour lesson on manuals.

Please stop the panic and worry. Its really not as bad as you think.

midlifetrucker:
I don’t think anyone has implied dangerous. I couldn’t give a flying Gary what anyone passes in I am merely offering my opinion. Some people will adapt easily to a manual, some will fail epically. I am just saying that in an assessment when you are at maximum stress levels it could be the difference. Also consider if you fail an assessment it is quite upsetting and can dent your confidence.

I was comparing quotes from the 2 threads both the same argument , at the end of the day we are all individuals and all different so there will be some who find a manual hard at first and others who take to it like a duck to water . There seems to be a tarring of those who pass in an auto will struggle with a manual , everyone who passes in an auto or is it a generalisation ?

Go for the manual 7 days a week and twice on Sundays… you will have to drive them when you pass your test so it will be much safer for you and other road users if you already have experience… I have been working for a few weeks and have driven 6 speeds, autos and 4 over 4’s… I learned in a 4 over 4… I am a believer in old school… if you pass in a auto then you should not be allowed to drive a manual just like with a car… I also learned in a location I didn’t know…made sense to me cause when out in your own truck you will be driving to many places you don’t know…good luck !!

dobermann1:
Go for the manual 7 days a week and twice on Sundays… you will have to drive them when you pass your test so it will be much safer for you and other road users if you already have experience… I have been working for a few weeks and have driven 6 speeds, autos and 4 over 4’s… I learned in a 4 over 4… I am a believer in old school… if you pass in a auto then you should not be allowed to drive a manual just like with a car… I also learned in a location I didn’t know…made sense to me cause when out in your own truck you will be driving to many places you don’t know…good luck !!

Thanx Dobermann1… a straight point and right attitude.

I have already settled for the manual but over 4 days ( 4 hours a day) and fifth day 1.5 hour warm up then test… am sure am gonna do it!! :astonished:

Go for it if I can do a manual anyone can trust me

I also have to overcome the fact I am 147 cm ( 4ft 10’ in old money ) so have to make sure the seat moves forward enough to reach said pedals :laughing: :laughing:

This whole “if you haven’t passed in a manual then you aren’t safe to drive” thing is nonsense. The gearbox is irrevlent. Once you pass you are already a cut above the average Joe. Whether you passed in an auto or manual you will always been learning, always improving. In this industry, they have no time (as I’ve found out) for people who can’t adapt. You either learn how to do it or you’re out of the job.