Started my class 2 training

Hi everyone i need your advice. i started training yesterday with a MAN automatic 18t truck. i was surprised because i was looking forward in training on a manual. But i find the automatic much easier cos i will only need to concentrate on mirrors,steering and positioning. i am worried if pass on automatic and i end getting a job with a manual truck how i will cope? please your advice will be appreciated as my test is on Thursday. so far i have been enjoying the training and looking forward to be a trucker.

I’m not going to respond to the question. I’d rather wish you all the best for your training and test.

But just a thought; didn’t you ask if you were being offered auto or manual?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I’m not going to respond to the question. I’d rather wish you all the best for your training and test.

But just a thought; didn’t you ask if you were being offered auto or manual?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

No pete i didn’t ask. i thought it was all manual.

Chances are that your first driving job will be on a straight six manual or auto 4 wheeler unless you get a Scania to drive, so its not much to get used to if you can drive a car with a manual box.

I’m sure the driving school will have a manual truck in the yard, just ask if you can take it out after your test for a play, we have kept a Volvo FH13 with a manual 12 speed gearbox for this reason. Having spoken to a customer of ours that passed on our auto then got a job driving a skip waggon he said getting used to a manual gearbox was easy enough. You are better off in the auto for your test, so don’t worry about it, its only shifting gears, i’m sure you will adapt. All us instructors passed on a 6 speed manual years ago and can (in a fashion) drive a 8/12/16 speed box - they even put a label on the gear lever to help you out!

Tockwith Training:
Chances are that your first driving job will be on a straight six manual or auto 4 wheeler unless you get a Scania to drive, so its not much to get used to if you can drive a car with a manual box.

I’m sure the driving school will have a manual truck in the yard, just ask if you can take it out after your test for a play, we have kept a Volvo FH13 with a manual 12 speed gearbox for this reason. Having spoken to a customer of ours that passed on our auto then got a job driving a skip waggon he said getting used to a manual gearbox was easy enough. You are better off in the auto for your test, so don’t worry about it, its only shifting gears, i’m sure you will adapt. All us instructors passed on a 6 speed manual years ago and can (in a fashion) drive a 8/12/16 speed box - they even put a label on the gear lever to help you out!

thanks tockwith hope i pass on thursday. thanks for the reply.