Info

Just passed my theory and hp tests

Just been speaking with an LGV training centre and they told me that all modern lorries are automatic (so is their training truck) is this true ■■ I don’t want to learn in an auto if I need to get used to the manual… Being a newbie will be hard enough

Guess I’m asking should I go for auto or manual ■■

Cheers

Mike D

My instructors were having this conversation, they are all sticking with the old manual trucks for now. I guess it depends on company and how often they change there training trucks. I went in a manual if your a driver you pick it up quickly. Admittedly i only passed a week ago though i had a 5 day course.

Congrats on the pass… just not sure which way to go on this …

I would still go for a manual box.

NewER trucks are autos yes but there are still a lot of manual trucks out there.

Rog or someone will correct me …I’m not 100% sure but (if you AT THE MOMENT) pass in an auto you can only drive an auto … like I said not 100% sure on this cause they keep changing their minds ( Gov that is )

Cheers Nick

Very interesting… will check that out… does that mean if you pass in a manual you cant drive an auto ■■
Never realised trucking could be so complicated…

mikeys:
Cheers Nick

Very interesting… will check that out… does that mean if you pass in a manual you cant drive an auto ■■
Never realised trucking could be so complicated…

no its the same as taking your car test … pass in a manual drive anything . pass in an auto you can only drive in an auto …
but I think if you hold a manual licence for a car this qualifies you to pass in a HGV auto box but would give you manual entitlement …

gov.uk/government/consultat … quirements

At present, where a driver holds a car driving licence, and then takes his lorry or bus test on an automatic vehicle, his driving licence will restrict him to only being able to drive large automatic vehicles. This change removes this restriction. In future, if a driver takes their large vehicle test on an automatic vehicle, as long as they already hold a manual entitlement for another vehicle, they will not be restricted to driving large automatic vehicles. So, a driver who had passed a test on a manually operated vehicle (other than motorcycles) would be able to hold a manual driving licence on another vehicle, even if they had taken a test on an automatic vehicle

and with that Over to Rog :wink: :wink:

mikeys:
Just passed my theory and hp tests

Just been speaking with an LGV training centre and they told me that all modern lorries are automatic (so is their training truck) is this true ■■ I don’t want to learn in an auto if I need to get used to the manual… Being a newbie will be hard enough

Guess I’m asking should I go for auto or manual ■■

Cheers

Mike D

I am assuming you already hold a manual car licence.

Very soon the law is changing, although the exact date is not yet known. You will be able to pass a HGV test in an automatic and receive a licence for both manual and auto. If you pass your (HGV) test in an auto before then you will have your licence upgraded to include manual when this change is made (assuming you already hold a manual car licence).

As a newbie (Class 2) you will almost definitely get a lot of manual trucks to drive. They will often be quite straight-forward gearboxes, perhaps a straight six. In the last year I have only driven a ‘range-change’ box once (and that was the haulage company’s training vehicle). The others were either straight-six or auto.

The transition from auto to manual is probably no different than the opposite (manual to auto) if you already have (car) experience of both.

You cannot cover all scenarios while you are learning. Don’t be put off by imaginary obstacles that you will find don’t really exist.

I suggest you take the easier option for your test, which surely will be an auto. Get your licence first and then learn as you go.

Alan

Thanks Guys… really useful info. Auto it is then!!!

mikeys:
Congrats on the pass… just not sure which way to go on this …

Thank you :slight_smile: if you can find a training school with a manual go for it. auto is far more easier but it depends what you want from it.

For an easier option, auto every time. But I would strongly suggest an hour or 2 on a manual having passed your test. This is what we encourage our auto candidates to do.

Imagine turning up for a pre-employment assessment drive and being faced with a “real” truck gearbox.

To keep the balance, the vast majority of trucks on 2 axles have either a straight 6 speed or auto. But the picture changes rapidly after that.

Just make sure you are dealing with a “real” trainer as opposed to a broker. If you want to make sure, just put the name up on here and you’ll soon find out.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I wouldn’t recommend going the auto box route. If you get thrown a manual box come job time you’ll be in big trouble, they take a fair bit of getting used.

100% go manual.