auto boxes

ive been reading that you can take your class c test in a auto ,what a load of crap ,its the easy way out , :frowning: :frowning:

Anyone who does that shouldn’t be driving. Wonder how long it will be before manuals become a thing of the past :frowning:

Not matter what they take there test in. They will have to drive a man sometime in there driving job :smiley:

Do most companies not use autos these days but none in my area do

Many threads on this issue

What makes anyone think that passing car in a 5 speed manual then auto LGV now is any different from years ago when I passed car manual then artic in a straight 6 speed ?

there is no difference - in both cases the driver needs to learn many types of gearbox post test

ROG:

What makes anyone think that passing car in a 5 speed manual then auto LGV now is any different from years ago when I passed car manual then artic in a straight 6 speed ?

there is no difference - in both cases the driver needs to learn many types of gearbox post test

Your theory falls down Rog when we look at the car test and how if you passed in a automatic then you couldn’t drive a manual by law. (not sure if this is still the case today?)

ajt:

ROG:

Your theory falls down Rog when we look at the car test and how if you passed in a automatic then you couldn’t drive a manual by law. (not sure if this is still the case today?)

Pass car in auto then LGV in auto you will not get any of those in manual = both stay auto

Pass car in auto then LGV in a straight 6 manual you get both in manual

Pass car in straight 5 or 6 manual then LGV in auto you get both in manual

had a similar conversation this morning and one of the lads suggested that if it wasn’t already the case , it was fast becoming the case that if you wanted a (new) manual truck you had to specify so , or you would be getting a auto . wether or not there is any truth in this I don’t know, but auto boxes seemto be the “norm” these days .

syramax:
had a similar conversation this morning and one of the lads suggested that if it wasn’t already the case , it was fast becoming the case that if you wanted a (new) manual truck you had to specify so , or you would be getting a auto . wether or not there is any truth in this I don’t know, but auto boxes seemto be the “norm” these days .

Many manufacturers put a premium on a non auto and non sleeper

A lot of big companies that replace their fleet on a regular basis will normally have auto’s. If you are working for a mum and dad outfit then you’ll likely get a manual.

Or someone who runs a old fleet

Radar19:
A lot of big companies that replace their fleet on a regular basis will normally have auto’s. If you are working for a mum and dad outfit then you’ll likely get a manual.

Unfortunately a lot of those firms won’t take newbies especially for that reason (our fleet is under three years old, we want to keep it nice). It would be foolhardy for anyone to assume that they could go trucking and not come across a manual.

My co has trucks going back to W Reg, up to 13 plate. Personally I like the mix, I prefer an auto for a decent length drive and I like a manual for short runs and lots of manoeuvring as some of the autos can be a tad jerky on tight manoeuvres.

davy1111:
Not matter what they take there test in. They will have to drive a man sometime in there driving job :smiley:

In my case I knew I was always going to drive a man at some point :wink: :laughing:

davy1111:

Yep lol the driving version of the naughty step :grimacing:

I don’t understand the so called “problem”. Like ROG, no-one ever showed me how to use a range change or a splitter. But we managed. And I never stopped anyones fleet being “nice”.

As ROG has said elsewhere, are the current drivers so dim that they cant cope anymore? I think not. I just think there’s some folks who HAD to learn on an 8 speed and possibly resent the fact that it’s no longer required.

It really doesn’t matter what someone trains on and passes on, the chances of getting the same again in the real world are limited.

So, for me, learn on auto and then have an hour on a range change so it’s not a total surprise IF you come across one.

Our local biggest employer of newbies, Sports Direct, has either auto or Opticruise. So what help is learning on a range change? Or is it just extra hassle for the fun of it?

The majority of 2 axle rigids are either auto or 6 speed. 3 and 4 axle rigids tend to be range change or auto. New artics are almost all auto whilst the older ones can be anything that most readers will never heard of! It really is pot luck and, in any case, it’s down to the employer to make sure you are familiar with the controls.

It’s a free country (still!) and it’s down to everyone to make their own decision. I’m just here to offer choices and make life as easy as possible.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Clutch control :question: :question: :question:

seth 70:

They will have learnt/drive a manual car. Its no different.

I only say about the auto gearboxs because if go down the page to a post about automatic class one theres a bloke who asking for one so he only has to concentrate on traffic instead of thinking about what gear hes in etc,it dont matter to me ive been driving class1 for 22yrs ,it just seems a cop out and drivers cant multitask,just rev and go :blush: :blush:

seth 70:
I only say about the auto gearboxs because if go down the page to a post about automatic class one theres a bloke who asking for one so he only has to concentrate on traffic instead of thinking about what gear hes in etc,it dont matter to me ive been driving class1 for 22yrs ,it just seems a cop out and drivers cant multitask,just rev and go :blush: :blush:

Are you saying that those who drive autos for a living are less of a driver than those driving manuals?

There used to be an on road manoeuver many years ago but now its done in a test centre where there is no traffic etc so does that mean we are producing less competent drivers?

Years ago there was no couple/uncouple so were those drivers less competent?

Where would like a drivers concentration to be - on the road or on the gears? - doing both means less has to be going somewhere

The vast majority of auto trucks (just about all except bin wagons) are not auto at all. They are know as ATM - Automated Manual Transmission. They have the standard gearbox but there’s a clever box of tricks screwed to it to tell it when to change gear and do it for you.

They also have a clutch. True, there is no pedal. But there is a clutch none the less. And this clutch can be controlled via the accelerator. I always train folks how to use this to their advantage and protect the clutch from excessive wear. So clutch control - yes - but via the accelerator.

If people knew how to drive an auto properly, all the stuff we hear about how uncontrollable they are for low speed work would go away.

Some of the early autos weren’t clever - but the new ones we have are faultless.

Peter Smythe:

The vast majority of auto trucks (just about all except bin wagons) are not auto at all. They are know as ATM - Automated Manual Transmission. They have the standard gearbox but there’s a clever box of tricks screwed to it to tell it when to change gear and do it for you.

They also have a clutch. True, there is no pedal. But there is a clutch none the less. And this clutch can be controlled via the accelerator. I always train folks how to use this to their advantage and protect the clutch from excessive wear. So clutch control - yes - but via the accelerator.

If people knew how to drive an auto properly, all the stuff we hear about how uncontrollable they are for low speed work would go away.

Some of the early autos weren’t clever - but the new ones we have are faultless.

ok may be slated for this but here goes >>>>>>>

I sometimes get a bit of hopping when getting into an unfamiliar wagon until get used to it , what am I doing wrong , so how do I use clutch control via accelerator to achieve smoother pull away ■■
jx