auto boxes

how do I use clutch control via accelerator to achieve smoother pull away ■■

Hi Jennie. Use as little throttle as possible to make it move away, then increase the power once it’s rolling. Uphill starts can often be achieved using a tiny amount of power as the ECU will sort out the situation and make it pick up. Different makes vary and then different trucks of the same make will vary again but it’s worth trying hill starts with very little throttle.

That should eliminate the “hopping”.

Is that worth a biscuit?!?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Clutch control :question: :question: :question:

The vast majority of auto trucks (just about all except bin wagons) are not auto at all. They are know as ATM - Automated Manual Transmission. They have the standard gearbox but there’s a clever box of tricks screwed to it to tell it when to change gear and do it for you.

They also have a clutch. True, there is no pedal. But there is a clutch none the less. And this clutch can be controlled via the accelerator. I always train folks how to use this to their advantage and protect the clutch from excessive wear. So clutch control - yes - but via the accelerator.

If people knew how to drive an auto properly, all the stuff we hear about how uncontrollable they are for low speed work would go away.

Some of the early autos weren’t clever - but the new ones we have are faultless.

Ok youve won :frowning: :frowning: basically times are changing and things have moved on,no more manual sheds on the road unless there going to a retro show :wink: :wink:

Wouldn’t say that now my cousins car transporters are all manual but I suppose none of them are newer than 2002 :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Clutch control :question: :question: :question:

The vast majority of auto trucks (just about all except bin wagons) are not auto at all. They are know as ATM - Automated Manual Transmission. They have the standard gearbox but there’s a clever box of tricks screwed to it to tell it when to change gear and do it for you.

They also have a clutch. True, there is no pedal. But there is a clutch none the less. And this clutch can be controlled via the accelerator. I always train folks how to use this to their advantage and protect the clutch from excessive wear. So clutch control - yes - but via the accelerator.

If people knew how to drive an auto properly, all the stuff we hear about how uncontrollable they are for low speed work would go away.

Some of the early autos weren’t clever - but the new ones we have are faultless.

The one I learnt in (that one I managed to break on my assessment drive :blush: ) , just hold the hold switch down till you hear a clunk and boom you are in slow reserve. I miss that truck with its clunky sounding gearbox.

Peter Smythe:

how do I use clutch control via accelerator to achieve smoother pull away ■■

Hi Jennie. Use as little throttle as possible to make it move away, then increase the power once it’s rolling. Uphill starts can often be achieved using a tiny amount of power as the ECU will sort out the situation and make it pick up. Different makes vary and then different trucks of the same make will vary again but it’s worth trying hill starts with very little throttle.

That should eliminate the “hopping”.

Is that worth a biscuit?!?

ahh Im doing that just have to get used to how much pressure I’m applying in a new wagon that haven’t driven before just thought there was somat else that should be doing when you mentioned a clutch using accelerator :slight_smile:

Haven’t had much time to do much baking lately had an op on my knee so not baked for risk of eating too much where not been able to exercise away lol but I’m sure will be back to it (youll have to wait an see :wink: )

ahh Im doing that just have to get used to how much pressure I’m applying in a new wagon that haven’t driven before just thought there was somat else that should be doing when you mentioned a clutch using accelerator :slight_smile:

Haven’t had much time to do much baking lately had an op on my knee so not baked for risk of eating too much where not been able to exercise away lol but I’m sure will be back to it (youll have to wait an see :wink: )

It really is amazing how little pressure is required on the GO pedal for a smooth uphill start. And gentle acceleration away from lights etc is the way to a smooth drive. But you don’t have to creep about to achieve that!

Didn’t know about your knee; sorry it needed attention but glad for you that it’s done. If there’s a risk of eating too many goodies, just pack them up and … :laughing:

Hope you have a rapid recovery and take care. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

syramax:
had a similar conversation this morning and one of the lads suggested that if it wasn’t already the case , it was fast becoming the case that if you wanted a (new) manual truck you had to specify so , or you would be getting a auto . wether or not there is any truth in this I don’t know, but auto boxes seemto be the “norm” these days .

I just checked the DAF website and manual is standard even for the XF. It’s the automatic you have to specify. I went for an interview with a Sussex-based haulage company a few weeks ago, and they told me they get manual rigids and automatic artics (all DAFs).

Scania, Iveco and Volvo still offer (and prominently advertise, if you can get to the page where they show off their drivelines) their manual gearboxes. MAN say they can fit a 9-speed manual gearbox if you like (so it’s an option, automatic is standard, and they don’t mention 12- or 16-speed manuals). Some Merc ranges (like the new Antos and Actros) no longer offer manuals at all, though.

Welcome to the “real world”. When purchasing a new vehicle the customer will specify everything. This includes engine power, gearbox type, diff ratios, chassis length, gross and train weights, fuel tank capacity, seating capacity, sleeper or day cab - - the list is endless.

So there is nothing remotely “standard” about any truck. This is the reason we always purchase brand new. That way we get what we want and not what suited the first user a few years ago.

Peter Smythe:
Welcome to the “real world”. When purchasing a new vehicle the customer will specify everything. This includes engine power, gearbox type, diff ratios, chassis length, gross and train weights, fuel tank capacity, seating capacity, sleeper or day cab - - the list is endless.

So there is nothing remotely “standard” about any truck. This is the reason we always purchase brand new. That way we get what we want and not what suited the first user a few years ago.

Well, I’ve seen trucks that looked like they were off the peg because they weren’t suited to the job. I was driving an 18-tonne MAN for a big freight company a few months ago, and it had a 12-speed auto gearbox and a suspension adjuster so they could raise or lower the floor height to match the dock height (and to make it a lot easier to move heavy pallets) and they were always telling me to lower or raise the suspension. Then the back doors got damaged and they brought the nice new Axor into service which had been sitting in the yard gathering dust and bird ■■■ for a few weeks. Except that this one had only a 6-speed gearbox and no leveller. Never found out if this was just a stop-gap hire truck or was permanent. It seems odd that they’d specify a truck which didn’t have a feature they used all the time.

Many trucks are on contract or spot hire and these will often not be perfectly suited to the job. But when the operator is specifying a new vehicle, then it should obviously be correct for the job.

Remember also that jobs change so a truck that was perfect last year could be a compromise this year.

I’m yet to drive an auto that doesn’t make me look like I can’t drive. Third to first around Trafalgar Square, most embarrassing. Nearly put the bloody thing on its nose. Hateful things, should be outlawed.

cant see the problem with autos my-self.
I love them.

cant for the life of me get my head round anyone wanting to have a wagon fitted with the eaton twinsplitter in todays traffic
I would never go back to a manual.

been driving class one since 1987, in 1997 had an erf olympic on a weekly groupage run to france and Germany reloading out of dpd in villingen schwenningen.
I cant tell you how much I hated that twinsplitter it was from the dark ages, even when it became second nature I still despised the sodding thing. a happier driver was I when it was relaced with a fh.

I have not had any control problems with autos the odd delay here and there mainly in mercs, and dafs.
mans used to be poor in traffic, didn’t seem to be able to deliver a smooth change a bit jerky if you like.

I-shift is the undisputed world champ.

Iveco pretty good we have some little 4x2 units in the yard with 420’s in them, they go well and the kickdown is good.

a pair of 850000 km man 4x2’s the auto’s can be hair triggerish but no problems with gearchanges.

I think once you get your head around changing gear with just your right foot and not with your left leg and left arm, you start to get a better understanding of how it works.
just stamping your foot to the floor wont get the best out of it.

I only drive autos now, not through choice its because I have no choice everything in the yard is auto.

18 months ago I took a manual 460 daf down to the south of france with hanging lamb for ray white, I would have swapped for an auto in a flash.
it was a novelty to have a gearstick and it did make a change for the first day or two.
soon made me realise what a ball ache it is with a gearstick in your hand.

only my opinion of course but im going bodly into the future with automation especially in wagons.