At last - got a job!

Just thought I’d post a note of encouragement to the newly/recently qualified. :wink:

I passed my Class C in September 2010 and registered with untold agencies in the run up to Xmas. Despite the Xmas rush, I was a long way from fully employed although did get a few days in at rates not far above minimum wage, which was a bit disappointing.

The more honest agencies told me straight that until I’d had my licence for at least 6 months, it would be difficult to find long term work because many companies have insurance policies which wont cover drivers who have held the licence for less than that. Interestingly, the requirement is not that you’ve DRIVEN for 6 months, only that you’ve HELD THE LICENCE for 6 months. How completely stupid is that? Anyway, what this means is working for Agencies on an ad hoc basis with little or no guarantee of how much work there will be from one day to the next, no idea where you will be from one day to the next, and a struggle to earn anything worthwhile (although it’s better tHan nothing at all).

As an alternative to Agencies, Websites have a lot of jobs on them which are generally for longer periods than the odd day here and there you are likely to get via an agency, at least at first, but as a driver with limited Class C experience, I only got 2 assessments out of over 300 online applications even though the applications were all done with a professionally constructed CV tailored to each application! I ended up driving a tanker pumping out cess pits which is without doubt the worst job I’ve ever done. Had to lay in a boiling hot bath full of strongly scented bubblebath to get the stink out of my skin. (God knows what it must be like in the height of Summer, I reckon you’d need a full biohazard suit and oxygen tanks strapped to your back to stop you passing out from the smell). Oh yes, and it was £7.00 an hour. Never again.

I then took a step back, thought about it, and went more proactive. On the premise that the agencies weren’t much help, and that there were about 20 - 50 applicants for every “online” job, when the 6 months came up I downloaded a list of Transport/Haulage companies based near to me and sent my CV to them direct, “on spec” so to speak. BINGO! Suddenly the phone started ringing and within a fortnight I had 7 assessments and 7 job offers, one of which I have been in for a few weeks now. I drive all over the uk with nights out 2 or 3 times a week which suits me fine as I get paid extra for it, and double time for Sundays, time and a half Saturdays.

What I’m saying is, don’t be too depressed if it doesn’t all happen overnight - you just have to keep on plugging away, refining/tailoring your CV to each application and hoping for the best. If you’re determined, it will come in the end. Personally, I managed to get a bit of private work doing light removals and suchlike in 18 tonners which I rented for the purpose. It was a good way to stop getting rusty after my test and while waiting for that first job to arrive. Check with your rental company first though, not all of them will rent to newly qualified drivers, but some will so keep at it. Also make sure the insurance situation is clearly dealt with.

Well, I hope that is all of some encouragement to somebody at least, and all that remains is to wish you all Good luck!

So glad all worked out for you perserverence does pay off i love hearing people getting theyre break

all the best for the future

ps now all you have to do is a diary :wink:

jx

Good story,

Well done and all the best with it matey!! :slight_smile:

Well done on the job mate, just passed my C a month ago and then my CE last week. I started my job hunting today which came grinding to a halt after 2 calls.

1st call, sorry mate we don’t touch anyone under 1 yrs experience no if ands or buts.

2nd call, Only interested after I told them I had class C1 since 1988, so they offered me an “interview”, however I’m still waiting on my licence to come back with it’s shiny new CE entitlement “phone us when you get your licence back”.

That ended that for the day no sense till I get me licence back.