assessments

are there any official guidelines on company driving assessments?

No. Each can do what they like as an assessment.

scanny77:
are there any official guidelines on company driving assessments?

sureley you dont need an assesment to drive a shopping trolley. :unamused:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

NO
It is not compulsory for a company to give one but it is good business practise.
I think most do give some kind of assessment these days - even if it is just a drive around the block with one of their own regular drivers.

been on about 4 assements and never had a prob, or yet any way, just ahd to remember to take it easy as i have found that for some reason they have all been examiners at some time :open_mouth: :smiley:

no i dont but others do. i am one of only 3 drivers who can work for a particular client. 5 drivers have failed assessments and we are talking about guys who have years more experience than me. it just seems a bit odd that they arent insisting on me doing an assessment (although they have asked for me to do a block booking) yet they wont accept any other new drivers from us without passing an assessment first

scanny77:
no i dont but others do. i am one of only 3 drivers who can work for a particular client. 5 drivers have failed assessments and we are talking about guys who have years more experience than me. it just seems a bit odd that they arent insisting on me doing an assessment (although they have asked for me to do a block booking) yet they wont accept any other new drivers from us without passing an assessment first

all i can think scanny is theyve seen ur driving and thought HOLD ON A MINUTE we best see if the rest can actually drive.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

scanny77:

sounds to me like the t.o office dont want anyone driving for them who actually know what there doing as its a sight easier to get us less experianced drivers to do what we shoulnt than a old hand who,s been there and done it many more times than them.

ady1:

scanny77:

sounds to me like the t.o office dont want anyone driving for them who actually know what there doing as its a sight easier to get us less experianced drivers to do what we shoulnt than a old hand who,s been there and done it many more times than them.

And there lies a nugget of truth.

we now only have 2 drivers who can work for them. the 3rd has had his licence revoked after a major op

the plot thickens though. a driver from another agency (who i am hoping to poach) was in there for the first time. no assessment or induction. we have had problems with the client but this points towards us being singled out. incidentally, an agency driver (not ours) had a bad accident which is why assessments were brought in a few months ago. they dont require me to do one because i have been in there over a year with no problems. the other guy is presumably the same.

incidentally, they dont take newly qualified drivers. min 2 years experience

scanny77:
a driver from another agency (who i am hoping to poach)

What you going to do after you have poached him? Have him with some fava beans and a nice Chianti?

SNORT :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That’s another keyboard you owe me, Neil. :wink:

I got sent on one last year. Agency said “you’ll need to take your last tacho, safety boots and hi-viz with you”. I thanked them for pointing out the obvious but apparently they’ve had drivers with years of experience turn up unprepared because they didn’t think about it as a normal working day! I must’ve had about 4 attempts at the blind side reverse but still passed as the assessor was happy that I obviously could do it and wasn’t going to hit anything and that’s more important than racing in 1st time. Whole session lasted about 90 mins. Apparently that week they’d sent one driver along who’s assessment lasted 8 hours and another who failed after 9 minutes!
I know some failed because when given the keys and told to go find their trailer, that’s what they do - without bothering to to their daily checks.

the assesment for argos Magna Pk takes all morning and covers things like double deckers kneeling trailers and paperwork the driving is incidental if your an old hand…

i have been on assesments where they moan if you cross your hands

Before I got my licence I went for an assesment at Rochester and also Southampton where they told me I should drive a rigid. So, being the determined person I am,I did not want that and went for my Class 1, just before they changed the rules. Could not get a job when qualified, but did agency work before double manning (or is that the word for a male and female driver? Coupling comes to mind. LOL.) to get some more experience, especially International driving. Loved it.

NO
It is not compulsory for a company to give one but it is good business practise.
I think most do give some kind of assessment these days - even if it is just a drive around the block with one of their own regular drivers.

Agreed. Any company that repects its work force and looks after it’s trucks will want a new driver to pass their standards for driving which is only right.

If you are a good driver then there should be no worries in taking an assesment drive with any company.

Mothertrucker:

NO

Agreed. Any company that repects its work force and looks after it’s trucks will want a new driver to pass their standards for driving which is only right.

If you are a good driver then there should be no worries in taking an assesment drive with any company.

apart from nerves , im quite happy on my own doing things at my pace but someone with a clipboard next to me and it completely throws me.