ARGHHHH @ Wincanton - Alconbury

hi i was wondering if you guys could tell me how long the wait is to get loaded at felixstowe as i am thinking of taking two containers a day from felixstowe to alconbury , how long did the journey and day last for you

Its understandable to work for a trial when you have no HGV experience at all apart from the Test.

It was Wincanton at Felixstowe I must of contacted

But to an experienced driver of 17years with a family and rent etc to pay, then deffo no, like I previously said, 1 day trial if I can get on with the Job, I.e Lining my truck up in the alloted space at the docks and wait for a container to be placed on it, and then locking the container on, Then im sure that sort of experience / training could be done in 1 day and not a full week unpaid

I have done as much as many of you guys have, apart from container / heavy haulage / wide loads and the such, Ive done rope and sheet, but couldn’t get used to the roping side of it, There you drivers with the knack can have that job, give me Sheets and ratchets any day, I have even seen European drivers in amazement looking at those drivers rope up, and even try and do it themselves and give it up as a bad job.

But like agency working for a new contract, Yes I agree to a 1 day trial, even better if I have a run after the trial where I get paid, but to totally work for nothing, giving up the odd day or three for nothing in return thats a deffo no no
[/quote]

hi can you tell me how long your day lasted when you did 2 round trips from felixstowe to alconbury , can 2 trips be done in a day, how long did you wait at the docks to get loaded?

if you can assist please let me know

Are you saying you have a trial with Wincanski at Felixstowe? Working for nothing?
I used to do 2 Alconburys in 10 Hours on night shift, that was leaving the Yard with an empty and finishing with a full one back to the Yard. 3 x port trips… You can never guarantee how long an exchange at the port will take, I’ve once waited 1 hour for my Empty to be pulled then an hour for the full one to be put on. On a few occasions I’ve done both in 30 mins.

dinosteveus1:
Are you saying you have a trial with Wincanski at Felixstowe? Working for nothing?
I used to do 2 Alconburys in 10 Hours on night shift, that was leaving the Yard with an empty and finishing with a full one back to the Yard. 3 x port trips… You can never guarantee how long an exchange at the port will take, I’ve once waited 1 hour for my Empty to be pulled then an hour for the full one to be put on. On a few occasions I’ve done both in 30 mins.

thanks for the reply, i am looking to work on a subcontractor basis doing the runs and was just costing it to see how many runs i could do a day, i also have a truck spare if you know any good container guys

jcole:

dinosteveus1:

thanks for the reply, i am looking to work on a subcontractor basis doing the runs and was just costing it to see how many runs i could do a day, i also have a truck spare if you know any good container guys

I’m very surprised that Wincanski have work at the moment. It’s so quiet down here at the moment and there’s not many Containers going up to Alconbury, as far as I know.
You would get 2 done in a day at least, if you are lucky maybe 3. It’s a long dull drive and I think there’s some work due on the A14 with a long stupid diversion very soon. That will also cut down how many trips you can do.
I know a few container guys who’d be interested in work, depends on who for, how much and if it was nights.

dinosteveus1:

Quickest for me wincantons, on the dock boxes swapped and outgate in 17 mins.

jessicas dad:

dinosteveus1:

WOW, that was fast. Bet the Empty went off by a forklift thingy :blush: What’s it called, rtg? in the Storage part on the right? :blush:

yeah they are quiet at the moment , i have to wait until it picks up

is anyone else looking for subbies that pay good, ideally on a double shift day and night?

dinosteveus1:

jessicas dad:

dinosteveus1:

WOW, that was fast. Bet the Empty went off by a forklift thingy :blush: What’s it called, rtg? in the Storage part on the right? :blush:

straight into the fork park round to lane straight under straddler box on and out. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: one friday morning in at 7.30 and out at 7.47 :grimacing:

Hi Pink lady trucker, one thing i can:t get my head round you moved up north, and now you are looking for a job from an area you have just moved from.

jeffreyk:
Hi Pink lady trucker, one thing i can:t get my head round you moved up north, and now you are looking for a job from an area you have just moved from.

This is a thread resurection from march last year :grimacing: :grimacing:

Sorry did not notice the date, time to go to specsavers i think

PinkLadyTrucker:

toby1234abc:
Maybe it is a work trial that the job centre send drivers to,they dont pay them,to found out if get on with the staff.But still get their job seekers allowance paid.

Im not claiming, ,my partner works, and were just about surviving on what we have saved from my divorce settlement

Even so, a Large company like Wincanton saying about a work trial for a Week■■?

Surely they know by assessment, drive down to the docks and load a container up, That is’nt going to take 1 week, let alone 1 day ■■?

Why am i the only one who finds this the most outrageous part of the whole story?

Personally, if the woman has a new partner, or shacks up with one within say 3 yrs of any divorce settlement, they should get sod all or pay it back if they’ve already had it!

Too many times i’ve seen mates screwed in settlements while the woman is already shacked up with another fella and doing very nicely out of it…while ex hubby is living in temp accommodation trying to scrape the money together each month to live.

Not a personal pop at PLT, just an observation in general. System is tilted too far in the womans favour!

Not much makes my blood boil

But !!

I phoned up Wincanton at Alconbury this morning asking for a application form

The bloke in HR took my Name, Phone number and address down, and asked if I had container experiance

Which I dont

Then he said, They are thinking of “getting new drivers to work for a week” now get this UNPAID :imp:

I did reply, Said I have a family, and would work 2 days unpaid, but thinking about it, Why the heck should I even give an extra day of unpaid work, I appreciate on agency we usually do an assessment unpaid which I dont appreciate, but if it helps get the job, then ok.

But Wincanton wanting a WEEK unpaid - arghhhhhh

Anyone had dealings with these Jokers?

Maybe it is a work trial that the job centre send drivers to,they dont pay them,to found out if get on with the staff.But still get their job seekers allowance paid.

toby1234abc:

Im not claiming, ,my partner works, and were just about surviving on what we have saved from my divorce settlement

Even so, a Large company like Wincanton saying about a work trial for a Week■■?

Surely they know by assessment, drive down to the docks and load a container up, That is’nt going to take 1 week, let alone 1 day ■■?

I’d ask if they’re donating the weeks profit to charity, seeing as I’m expected to do voluntary work to earn it!
Then I’d tell them to poke it. They’ve took the Michael out of their drivers since they were hanburys

WTF!! Not even minimum wage!! Wincantons should be reported to the Authorities now for even thinking up such a Con!! ■■■■■■■

I’d phone them back up and say “well I’ve thought about your offer and I think you can go do one” :laughing:

Richardf1fan

Thanks for the PM, but cannot reply to you by PM due to your restrictions :frowning:

I don’t know who it was, but i was diverted from the number for Edyta to some bloke who said he was in HR

Ive a friend who works there, she is bringing me an application and to mark it confidential to someone I prefer not to disclose until (IF) I get the job with no attachments like unpaid working

Thanks for your PM thou, maybe I will see you in there soon :slight_smile: