Felixtowe port and alconbury

HI , can anyone assist me in a few questions , i am thinking of doing a contract that runs out of felixstiowe to alconbury, does anyone know the waiting times for felixstowe container base how long it usually takes to get loaded , what the roads are like on the a14 going to huntingdon/ alconbury and if anyone has done this before how long the day usually takes especially if i was to make 2 trips a day

jcole:
HI , can anyone assist me in a few questions , i am thinking of doing a contract that runs out of felixstiowe to alconbury, does anyone know the waiting times for felixstowe container base how long it usually takes to get loaded , what the roads are like on the a14 going to huntingdon/ alconbury and if anyone has done this before how long the day usually takes especially if i was to make 2 trips a day

How long is a piece of string. They use VBS so you have a time slot, and, assuming everything’s ok, you can be in and out in a couple of hours. A14 between felix and alconbury (truck stop) is fine, no major hold ups as a rule.

Weather changes bring felix to a halt more often than any other port / docks.

All things good, you should ■■■■ 2 trips in a day, anything wrong, and you’re stuffed

ok great, thanks for that

felixstowe to alconbury can be easily done in 2 hours on a clear run…

felixstowe docks is as said like a length of string somedays ive been in an out in 20mins other days 2-3 hours if not more, but 2 runs is quite possible ive done such although i did it on nights…

thanks, would that mean if you had 2 hours delay on both trips the working day could be about 13 hours , even tho about 8 hours driving

On a quick tip then :laughing:

Oh yes and the Ski’s get priority at Alconbury, one night all the Lifters got the boot, so one the pen pushers did the lifting. Nice night, 6 hours kip and loads of O/T. They will keep you waiting, that could also ■■■■■ you up.
The Babeski in the booking office on days is real nice and the ■■■■ ski on nights is rude and lazy.
You could be lucky for days on end, no hold up at Felix, no roadworks on the A14 and straight through at Alconbury. You only need one…

thanks

does anyone know of any firm that is looking for subbies to run 24 hours on any routes out of felixstowe that pay ok

jcole:
thanks

does anyone know of any firm that is looking for subbies to run 24 hours on any routes out of felixstowe that pay ok

Wincanski have a board up, call yourself jcoleski and they may talk to you.
To be honest, boards are up all over the place but I don’t think they are ‘looking’ as such, just cba taking the boards down. I thought you had something lined up the way you was talking.

i did have wincantons lined up but they are quiet till march ish on the alconbury run

Theres plenty of box companies down at Felixstowe advertising for o/ds, and also in the truck and driver mag. felixstowe to alconbury on a clear day is 1hr 20, waiting time at both ends varies from 30 mins to 3 hours.

scoobysdad:
Theres plenty of box companies down at Felixstowe advertising for o/ds, and also in the truck and driver mag. felixstowe to alconbury on a clear day is 1hr 20, waiting time at both ends varies from 30 mins to 3 hours.

in a helicopter, felix to alconbury is 1 3/4 hrs. :open_mouth:

jessicas dad:

scoobysdad:

felix to alconbury is 1 3/4 hrs. :open_mouth:

+1

dinosteveus1:

jessicas dad:

scoobysdad:

+1

Well, according to google maps, straight down the A14 is 89 miles…

I did nights for Carters running from Alconbury to Felixstowe for a few months, they had a note up on the notice board saying that they knew it was only 1 3/4 hours so anyone taking longer was dragging the job out.
I used to pull out of Alconbury and sit on the limiter all the way, literally without taking the cruise off even for the Girton interchange at Cambridge and could never get much under 2 hours from door to door !

waynedl:

dinosteveus1:

jessicas dad:

scoobysdad:

+1

Well, according to google maps, straight down the A14 is 89 miles…

From leaving Dock Gate 2, there are 4 Roundabouts and 2 sets of Traffic Lights.

yes you are correct…no idea where i got 1hr 20 from, especially as it took me 1hr 40…DOH!