Are Employers & RHA about to sell you a dummy?

I was a bit surprised to see the recent RHA publicity campaign about foreign trucks taking their long weekend break in the truck and cluttering up lay-bys etc and they claimed they were asking Westminster to introduce a £300 fine for it.

I was glad to hear it but a bit surprised about the timing as it’s not the biggest problem in the U.K. now that the UK international fleet has been wiped out by this and other foreign company practices.

Meanwhile over in Brussels those same and other employers are lobbying for tachograph changes too including the weekend in the cab issue but not in the way you might expect.

They want you to be able to take 3 reduced weekly rests in a row now !!!
Yes, they want you to run all month with just 3, 24 hour weekly rests and at the end of four weeks you can take a regular weekly rest plus compensation.

If successful foreign trucks will be able to camp for a month in Kent legally soon, so what is all the £300 fine fuss about?

I’m guessing it is to distract UK drivers from the real agenda which is they will only have to be given 1 proper weekend off in the month.

In case you feel you are unaffected by this proposal they are also planning to change the 45 minute break too.

They are now saying 3 x 15 minutes will do you.

European drivers unions protested in Brussels this week and here is their explanation
40ton.net/wp-content/uploads/201 … ers-EN.pdf

It was Andrejs who first raised this issue on the Euro driving forum viewtopic.php?f=3&t=146118&p=2316697#p2316697

Any thoughts■■?

Breaking the 45 into 3×15 minute breaks used to be the rule.

And read Tachograph`s replies :
"I couldn’t find anything about any changes to weekly rest or breaks on the Europa website

In fact I couldn’t even find it being discussed anywhere else, I’m not sure if it’s a fake site or not but I suspect it’s fake news." April 14th

“I still don’t see the information anywhere else so I’d have to say it’s not correct”. April 20th.

Unless anyone can find any hard evidence now? ? Its as reliable as a politicians promise.

the nodding donkey:

It was also any 2 breaks totaling 45 mins as in a 20 + 25.

Hurryup&wait:
I was a bit surprised to see the recent RHA publicity campaign about foreign trucks taking their long weekend break in the truck and cluttering up lay-bys etc and they claimed they were asking Westminster to introduce a £300 fine for it.

I was glad to hear it but a bit surprised about the timing as it’s not the biggest problem in the U.K. now that the UK international fleet has been wiped out by this and other foreign company practices.

Meanwhile over in Brussels those same and other employers are lobbying for tachograph changes too including the weekend in the cab issue but not in the way you might expect.

They want you to be able to take 3 reduced weekly rests in a row now !!!
Yes, they want you to run all month with just 3, 24 hour weekly rests and at the end of four weeks you can take a regular weekly rest plus compensation.

If successful foreign trucks will be able to camp for a month in Kent legally soon, so what is all the £300 fine fuss about?

I’m guessing it is to distract UK drivers from the real agenda which is they will only have to be given 1 proper weekend off in the month.

In case you feel you are unaffected by this proposal they are also planning to change the 45 minute break too.

They are now saying 3 x 15 minutes will do you.

European drivers unions protested in Brussels this week and here is their explanation
40ton.net/wp-content/uploads/201 … ers-EN.pdf

It was Andrejs who first raised this issue on the Euro driving forum viewtopic.php?f=3&t=146118&p=2316697#p2316697

Any thoughts■■?

As for the Foreign drivers parking up, why is the answer imposing fines, they need to park some ■■■■ where, instead of the usual answer or remedy to anything in the UK (ie fine or tax it) provide some decent bloody truck park areas.
I personally don’t give a ■■■■ about foreign drivers, if there is a problem to us that they can run cheaper than us, tough ■■■■, as drivers it is not their fault, it is the fault of the system.

As for the proposed tacho rule changes, if they ARE true? …■■■■ brilliant, just what we need :unamused: .
Instead of cutting down the ridiculous hours we are expected to work, to a more realistic and modern level, they are instead making it even worse :open_mouth: by cutting in on rest periods and imposing lesser time at home (assuming I have read it right that is)
However, same old same old, these are limits not targets :bulb: …just say no!

As for 3x15s, not a problem to me with that, if you don’t like it, take a complete 45, it is up to YOU when you feel the NEED to take a break, not your employer despite what he may try and tell you.

And then some of you say there is no NEED for an element of ‘union’ between drivers… :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ha ■■■■ ha.
Keep bending over and taking it up there, to those who regularly do …I’m fine with my 4 and a half days and a long weekend. :sunglasses:

If that last comment ■■■■■■ some of you off (it’s meant to btw) then sort something out between yourselves and get all this crap that they chuck at us, (with compliance just taken for granted) …sorted. :bulb:
Holding breath…not.

weeto:

the nodding donkey:

Are you sure?
I remember it as 45 or 3x15s or a 15 followed by a 30.

At the end of the day it all falls down to the driver growing a pair off balls and refusing to shorten there weekend rest if they are unhappy. I dont work weekends at all, thats because I have this strange verbal word that I have learned…NO!

msgyorkie:
At the end of the day it all falls down to the driver growing a pair off balls and refusing to shorten there weekend rest if they are unhappy. I dont work weekends at all, thats because I have this strange verbal word that I have learned…NO!

Point made much better, and more concisely, than the way I tried to make it. :wink:

robroy:

msgyorkie:

Point made much better, and more concisely, than the way I tried to make it. :wink:

:grimacing:

robroy:

weeto:

the nodding donkey:

Are you sure?

Very sure, the rule was at least 15 mins for the first split, but it didn’t say how long the second split should be to total 45 mins, which why most just assumed it was 30 before 4.5 hrs driving, it was the way it was written that made 20 + 25 legal and also the 30 + 15 interpretation which caused the most controversy.

robroy:

weeto:

the nodding donkey:

Are you sure?

The memory is the first thing to go… :grimacing:

weeto:

robroy:

weeto:

the nodding donkey:

Are you sure?

Very sure, the rule was at least 15 mins for the first split, but it didn’t say how long the second split should be to total 45 mins, which why most just assumed it was 30 before 4.5 hrs driving, it was the way it was written that made 20 + 25 legal and also the 30 + 15 interpretation which caused the most controversy.

Yes, true.

I still fail to see the significant improvement in combating driver fatigue, by making hI’m have a 30 minute break during a 8 and a half hour drive, rather than a 15 minute break.

I regularly split my breaks that way, and also used and abused the 30 + 15 when the eu courts decided it was legal.
It would be better if these people pushed to get the rules totally re-written to simplify them, rather than add more to or take away from the already broken format, like the bit that says how much daily rest you have to have but doesn’t explain very well how long you can actually be on duty, that bit has to be the biggest money spinner for the law enforcers.

weeto:

the nodding donkey:

for splitting a 45 minute break the first part must be at least 15 minutes and the second part at least 30 minutes, section 1.3 gives the answer

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours

scotstrucker:

weeto:

the nodding donkey:

for splitting a 45 minute break the first part must be at least 15 minutes and the second part at least 30 minutes, section 1.3 gives the answer

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours

Wooosh

Is not one answer to challenge publicly your local parliamentary election candidates to express an opinion for or against these proposals and to give a hand on heart, pain of death assurance?

So this thread isn’t about concerns over the driver shortage and ways to attract new drivers into the industry? :open_mouth:

Just ditch the flipping wtd regs totally there a waste of space and make drivers days longer in some instances.
As for weekly rest in cabs if drivers want to do this then that’s up to them. As for working so called modern hrs it ain’t going to happen usage out od the vehicle means that drivers on int work will need to have a full break at some point so big deal its not exactly the end of the world

I don’t see any way they could force you to do that unless you’re working for one of those cowboy outfits.

Evil8Beezle:
So this thread isn’t about concerns over the driver shortage and ways to attract new drivers into the industry? :open_mouth:

Looking at the thread title maybe theyre trying to catch em young?

Edit: Dummies for the really young ones and cowboy outfits for the school age recruits?