Start next week

so finally signed my contract and start Monday 2 day’s induction then on the road Wednesday. anyone offer some sound advice please?

i’m still a little confused about breaks when and how many i should be taking. :unamused:

Ask questions, never be afraid to ask questions.

Read up on tacho rules and working time directive, it isn’t that complicated despite some trying to make it out to be. Here’s a simple guide you can print out and keep with you.

returnloads.net/hgv-drivers … explained/

If you’re doing regular runs you’ll get used to where and when you need to take a break.

Here’s a simple flowchart from the above link, print it off, stick it in your cab above your head. It isn’t comprehensive and doesn’t cover if you do up to 9hrs work or more without reaching 4.5hrs driving if you’ve not already taken at least 30 minutes break ( although that doesn’t happen that often) but it’ll suffice to get you started.

Your tachograph can tell you how long you’ve driven since you have taken your last 45 minutes of break and some lorries such as MAN and Mercedes can have their dash display set to show it as well.

That´s very handy, Conor. Thanks :slight_smile:

And congrats Andy :slight_smile:

Can i just add, dont use POA (square symbol with line through it) as it’ll mess with your breaks. Shows as a break on tacho but isnt a real one.

Hopefully POA wont affect with your brakes, unless you work for Brakes in which case I’m not sure when you should be taking breaks. My head hurts.

Do your induction and hopefully that should give an idea of what the company expects. Ask any questions there and then.
Of course, we all think of really good questions after leaving the lecture! It’s normal. Ask colleagues of course, Or if you think they may be idiots, ask here. You can always be SURE of finding an idiot here.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

[quote=“Franglais” Or if you think they may be idiots, ask here. You can always be SURE of finding an idiot here.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk[/quote]
did somebody call? :open_mouth: