Anyone taking on?

I am quite new on here but thought it worth a go to ask,
i had been a class 1 general haulage tramper for 15 years but came off the road nearly 3 years ago,thinking i’d had enough of the waggon game,
having since worked as a manager of a bus company and playing Jeremy Kyle to 70 moaning drivers and being trapped indoors i realise how wrong i was, i miss the waggon job more each day.

My expierience always was you found the decent jobs through word of mouth in the industry, since i have lost contact with what is going on out there in the game i thought i’d throw this one out there via this forum.

Has anyone got an idea of who is taking on class 1 drivers at the minute ?, i am Manchester based but don’t mind where i run out of, i realise the time of year and unemployment being so high does’nt make the timing great but hey it’s gotta be worth a go.

Any advice is welcome, thanks.

Welcome to the site mate I think TTX in oldham are looking for drivers. But I think they always are :-/
I’ll probably get lynched for saying it but give Stobarts a try. Oh and I think top gear are desperate this time of year. Not sure if they’re an agency or not just my mate told me he read something in the paper about them wanting 100 drivers. Good luck mate I live in Droylsden myself mate where abouts in wonderful Manchester are you from!

dukeofdirt:
Welcome to the site mate I think TTX in oldham are looking for drivers. But I think they always are :-/
I’ll probably get lynched for saying it but give Stobarts a try. Oh and I think top gear are desperate this time of year. Not sure if they’re an agency or not just my mate told me he read something in the paper about them wanting 100 drivers. Good luck mate I live in Droylsden myself mate where abouts in wonderful Manchester are you from!

Thanks for that,
i too lived in Droylsden on Carriages estate, well at least till the ex kicked me out last April lol.
I used to work at Reyners, best place i ever worked.

you should check out todays sun news paper they say there is a driver shortage in manchester 100,s of jobs on offer … £600 a week loads of holidays …wish belfast was like that …cant belive them red tops …good luck

hi ,mate, i was in the same position and the only problem i found was that the insurance companies are asking
for 6 months class 1 driving in the last 2 years. i ended up doing agency stuff for a while before going to
work for Van Den Bosch.

Transline agy based at Wincanton in Stakehill say there desperate for drivers. I signed up with them today and there sorting me out with assessment at Lea Green next week. They can get you in either B&Q or one of there contracts in Trafford park. If you don’t mind traveling then you can get regular work at Co Op and they pay 1 hrs pay for travel expenses each way to St helens

Thanks for the reply’s, gives me something to go at, did’nt really fancy agency work but if they can keep me going there as good as owt i suppose.

Fudge:
Thanks for that,
i too lived in Droylsden on Carriages estate, well at least till the ex kicked me out last April lol.

Now there’s a name I’ve not seen mentioned in a while, although its in the Old Timers forum along with pics.
I shared a study at school with Jonathan Reyner. Never seen him since 1977.

What happened to Gash Transport?

ZigZag, what are Transline’s rates? PM if you prefer.

ZigZag, what are Transline’s rates?

Rates:

Hi Driveroneuk. I didnt ask about the rates, as a newbie i was just happy to get more experience :blush: but i found the pay rates they advertised on interweb. They gave me option if i passed the assessment of either
Whsmith class 2 (silent deliveries) :confused: or class 1 and 2 at Co Op, but experienced guys would have the pick of any Wincanton contract like B&Q or Heinz
£8.25ph (Monday to Friday days)
£12.38ph (Monday to Friday days overtime)
£9.25ph (Monday to Friday nights)
£14.25ph (Monday to Friday nights overtime)
£12.00ph (Saturday)
£16.50ph (Sunday)

The Stakehill office is Tel: 0161 653 2365

ZigZag:

ZigZag, what are Transline’s rates?

Rates:

Hi Driveroneuk. I didnt ask about the rates, as a newbie i was just happy to get more experience :blush: but i found the pay rates they advertised on interweb. They gave me option if i passed the assessment of either
Whsmith class 2 (silent deliveries) :confused: or class 1 and 2 at Co Op, but experienced guys would have the pick of any Wincanton contract like B&Q or Heinz
£8.25ph (Monday to Friday days)
£12.38ph (Monday to Friday days overtime)
£9.25ph (Monday to Friday nights)
£14.25ph (Monday to Friday nights overtime)
£12.00ph (Saturday)
£16.50ph (Sunday)

The Stakehill office is Tel: 0161 653 2365

I went for transline a year or so back, it was £9.25 all hours - 45mins meal break and had to work weekends and your holiday pay was INCLUDED in the rate, so check it out before you sign.

I recently started for Maritime, but I’ve been applying since Jan when I finished at Roadways.

Top gear is an agency, tbh, most agencies are busy now right up until 2 weeks from now… Then they die on their arse.

If you’re still working, stick where you are until you get a full time position.

Wayne - Ashton Under Lyne :slight_smile:

Thanks Wayne. Nothing to get excited about but about the average at the mo. I guess.

Driveroneuk:

Fudge:
Thanks for that,

Now there’s a name I’ve not seen mentioned in a while, although its in the Old Timers forum along with pics.
I shared a study at school with Jonathan Reyner. Never seen him since 1977.

What happened to Gash Transport?

ZigZag, what are Transline’s rates? PM if you prefer.

John Reyner Was in charge of the general haulage side, he was a good bloke,i always found him really fair and he had the time of day for he’s drivers.
John’s brother Nick was over the container side i did’nt have much dealing with him but he came across a bit up himself.
Great times there and some really good lads to work with.

Fudge:
I am quite new on here but thought it worth a go to ask,
i had been a class 1 general haulage tramper for 15 years but came off the road nearly 3 years ago,thinking i’d had enough of the waggon game,
having since worked as a manager of a bus company and playing Jeremy Kyle to 70 moaning drivers and being trapped indoors i realise how wrong i was, i miss the waggon job more each day.

My expierience always was you found the decent jobs through word of mouth in the industry, since i have lost contact with what is going on out there in the game i thought i’d throw this one out there via this forum.

Has anyone got an idea of who is taking on class 1 drivers at the minute ?, i am Manchester based but don’t mind where i run out of, i realise the time of year and unemployment being so high does’nt make the timing great but hey it’s gotta be worth a go.

Any advice is welcome, thanks.

ive seen about 4 new drivers this week at our depot,2 were going to crick for training,this applies to most weeks
its strange really as they say there not making any money at our depot,but i asked about o/t last thurs and was told there was none as there was 59 runs and theyn had 68 drivers to do them,they still keep taking on drivers though,im sure there method in there madness,but i cant see it,apply,maybee we cant get to 100 drivers for 50 runs :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: ,they say firms can get so big they loose contol of what there doing,i can believe it

It is dire at the moment,European firms are no better, paying 1000 euros a month,one car transporter firm paid an English driver living in Spain 197 euros for a weeks work.I have given up driving.