Anyone parked up at Gretna MSA last night

Pulled into Gretna about 02:30 this morning. Paramedic came in asking if anyone ordered an ambulance. Staff said they hadn’t ordered one. As I was leaving the ambulance was scouting around the MSA looking for anyone in distress. I spotted a MAN
with its hazard lights on and the driver hanging out the cab window… I stopped and walked over he didn’t look to good and was holding his chest. The ambulance was at the far end of the coach park by this time. Managed to get their attention and direct them to this poor bloke.

I was just wondering if anyone on here had heard anything ? Hope the old boy was ok.

At least he had the mindset to put his hazards on to attract someone’s attention. Always worries me if I take unwell in during the night when I’m away that help would not arrive on time if they could not locate me.

Was told a few weeks ago that If you dial 112 instead of 999 the operator is the only person that can end the call if it’s deemed a serious enough emergency. Also the operator can actually trace where your calling from whereas they can’t do that if you dial 999.

I was in about 2am for 10minutes. must have just missed it. the place was packed though

Claret_john:
Was told a few weeks ago that If you dial 112 instead of 999 the operator is the only person that can end the call if it’s deemed a serious enough emergency. Also the operator can actually trace where your calling from whereas they can’t do that if you dial 999.

That’s Blox… 112 is the international number for 999.

If you call 112 in France, you get the French emergency services and so on in other countries.

It is just a short code instead of remembering the emergency number for every country.

That RDC bull is still working well post cpc. :slight_smile:

I believe they can triangulate your position but it takes a while and needs special permission.

Why do they ask what your number is if ringing from a landline or even (heaven forbid) a call box? Surely it comes up on their screen?

It would have been a good idea for the ambulance controller to advise the lorry driver to put his hazards on then pass that to the ambulance crew to look out for a lorry with his hazards on. Obviously the lorry driver did this himself… Such a shame that old boy took unwell in a busy lorry park away from his family. No one is to know he needs help. Just part of staying alone in a tin box for 4 or 5 nights a week.
How often do we hear of a drIver passing away in his cab. Only to be discovered when he hasn’t shown up at his next drop.I can bet these parking cowboys will send his company an invoice for overstaying his time in the lorry park.

Hope the driver made it ok, good luck mate wherever you are.

When my colleague had a heart attack he said he pretty much realised he was in big trouble, then his memory restarts in the back of an ambulance. Apparently he made the call himself, but he has no memory of it.

ND888 BIGJ:
It would have been a good idea for the ambulance controller to advise the lorry driver to put his hazards on then pass that to the ambulance crew to look out for a lorry with his hazards on. Obviously the lorry driver did this himself… Such a shame that old boy took unwell in a busy lorry park away from his family. No one is to know he needs help. Just part of staying alone in a tin box for 4 or 5 nights a week.
How often do we hear of a drIver passing away in his cab. Only to be discovered when he hasn’t shown up at his next drop.I can bet these parking cowboys will send his company an invoice for overstaying his time in the lorry park.

Maritime used to ring every driver in the morning, they said it was because a driver had died through the night and it took a while to find out, so now they do that, no idea if that’s the real reason, but it sounded like caring

It’s getting a driver out the cab that is actually quite difficult when they have a heart attack.

My friend john who I shared a truck with died of heart attack whilst on a bay, he was leaning over and all the drivers that past thought he was sending a message on isotrack. He didn’t push the panic button either. Wasn’t till one of the warehousemen came out to see why he hadn’t pulled of the door yet.

The guys told me the next day they couldn’t get him out the cab because it was so high, john was quite a slim fella aswell!!

Alone in a truckpark if it’s a severe heart attack no way will you be able to make that call, best bet is to try and blast the horn to get attention.

bazza123:
I believe they can triangulate your position but it takes a while and needs special permission.

Why do they ask what your number is if ringing from a landline or even (heaven forbid) a call box? Surely it comes up on their screen?

A. They don’t need permission
B.they don’t Need to ask for number it flags unless your ringing through a switch board line ie you ring from a phone where you need to ring for an outside line Where the number won’t show.
Mobiles go via any operator from any network which then gets passed to the local 999 services in your nearest mast area… The operator also passes your number incase the call gets disconnected

Exactly the reason IMO that we need to start looking out for each other a bit more, we are all too guilty of just parking up, pulling the curtains and going into the land of ipads, laptops, mobiles etc etc.

Granted it was late in the night, but there is always some sort of activity in the truck parks, with people coming and going.

Fair play to Bigj for taking the time to actually walk up the park and see if there was a problem. I know that if I saw a driver basically hanging out of his window and the hazards on or whatever then I would extend the courtesy to see if he was ok, 9x out of ten he may just be rather drunk and feeling a bit sick but it could be something worse like what Bigj encountered last night.

The days of drivers taking the time to speak to one another regardless of company worked for seem to be fading fast. Yes times change and with all the technology these days I just find it a shame!!

Hope the fella is ok though and makes a swift return.

They probably ask for your number in case they need to call you back. The number you call them on may not be your phone although it will show on their screen. I have been called from a police officer without giving my number and that was not a 999 call

The 112 thing is true, they can triangulate your position in a way they can’t if you call 999. I run ultramarathons through some pretty remote UK terrain, and it’s always drummed into runners to call 112 from your mobile in an emergency, not 999. They’ll find you a lot quicker if you don’t know/can’t describe where you are.

ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/n … -ec-report

That says 112 calls can give the operator a precise location but no member states use this function. I assume the uk to be a member state?

I have been asked for my number every time I have rung 999 mobile, or landline.

The ambulance services around the country are placing defibrillators in public places. Shopping centres , health clubs ,ln fact anywhere you get a lot of people. Never seen one in an MSA though.
To be honest us lorry drivers are not the heat healthiest bunch . A heart atack waiting to happen . When you consider how far the nearest ambulance could be if your in a MSA I would have though putting one in service areas would be a good idea.

waynedl:

ND888 BIGJ:

Maritime used to ring every driver in the morning, they said it was because a driver had died through the night and it took a while to find out, so now they do that, no idea if that’s the real reason, but it sounded like caring

Unless there’s been a more recent incident that was around 2010 when one of their lads had a bleed on the brain and was found unconscious in the morning. Pretty sure it was the Leeds yard. After that had to be in contact with a planner before 8am regardless of what time you finished. The driver didn’t die though

The ambulance services around the country are placing defibrillators in public places. Shopping centres , health clubs ,ln fact anywhere you get a lot of people. Never seen one in an MSA though.
To be honest us lorry drivers are not the heat [q

uote]
[/quote]
3 In tebay services
Klunk

klunk/■■■■■■■■
To be honest us lorry drivers are not the heat
3 In tebay

Didn’t know that mate not been in Tebay for a while. Good to know thanks

It makes no difference tracing/locating/terminating whether the call is dialled using 999 or 112. However, some mobile phones will allow 112 (but not 999) to be dialled even when the keypad is locked - so for that reason 112 may well be the better option.