Ambulances, Fire Crews, etc

Just been listening to the local news on TV. Apparently in the East Midlands one in six of all 999 calls to request Ambulances was a hoax call. Similar figures apply to the Fire Service. Where do these losers get off? :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

It also seems that someone rang an Ambulance over the festive break because they wanted to go and visit a relative in hospital :open_mouth: :unamused: :smiling_imp:

Last Friday night duty I did (23rd) I had an Ambulance join the A14 just before the flyover where the A14/M11 becomes three lane. You could see it coming for some distance, blue lights flashing so I pulled out to cover both lanes of A14 held traffic back and slowed it slightly to give him plenty of space to join A14, Got a quick blast on the klaxon for my trouble as a thank you as the Ambulance driver had realised what I had done to help him join A14.

I also got a hoot and finger from Mr Angry in people carrier :unamused: Idiot!

I will never understand those who get their jollies making hoax calls to the 999 number. I think Mr Angry in the people carrier was unlikely to be looking further forward than the end of his bonnet and hadnā€™tā€™ a clue why you had taken the action you did. Lets hope he doesnā€™t need an ambulance in a hurry one day.

When I was doing my ā€œEmergency Fire Appliance Drivingā€ (EFAD) Instuctors Course, I was flying along in lane 3 of the M6,in a big shiney red fire appliance, doing between 75-80 MPH and still had irrate motorists flashing their lights behind me to get passed :unamused:

Can never work out why people get so irrate about not being able to overtake a Fire Appliance or ambulance responding on blue lights when on a motorwayā€¦the thought that there maybe a major pile up just ahead probably never occours to themā€¦why get in their wayā€¦they are doing what they are doing for reasonā€¦be patient and maybe be thankful that its not you or your famillies who need them at that very momentā€¦cos if they`re on blues then somebody else really does!!!

have you ever noticed
when a ambulance etc passes you on the motorway, you`ll find several morons in cars etc pull out behind the ambulance etc, and follow in its slipstream, as if the ambulance is there to make a clear path for them

Bullitt, where did you take your EFAD? I used to be an Instructor at C7 Ladywood, West Midlands Fire Service before the driving school was moved to BTC Smethwick.

EFAD is great fun! A week of belting around in an unmarked Sierra, baiting traffic coppers, and then a week in a ā€˜machineā€™!

Iā€™ve never understood hoax calls, as well as ā€˜brickingā€™ fire or ambulance crews whilst doing their job, or en-route to a job. Hooligans view them as being allied to the Police in some way. Fire crews will always advise the Police of people committing offences but they rarely get involved - I know of only one instance where that has happened.

Brummie, thats the ā€œi hate pigsā€ mentality of some of the morons in this day and age. They class anything with a blue light as being some sort of authority that they should rise against.

These people are there to save life and prevent futher injury. 1 day the moronic few will need these people but they will still not remember the day that they gave them so much greif for doing their jobs.

Lock em up, i say.

Sorry if i went off on one there :exclamation: :exclamation:

brummie:
Bullitt, where did you take your EFAD? ā€¦

Took it about 4 years ago at the West Mids Fire Training schoolā€¦took the intensive 2 week course, first week out in the appliance EFAD driving (no cars, if your gonna do it then do it for real :smiley: )ā€¦you had to pass that to become an EFAD qualified driverā€¦then the second week was full on instructors course, my instructor, me, and 2 FF`s doing their EFAD drivers course, they had three weeks to learn it, I had one!! :laughing: :laughing:
my instructors name was Brendan (i think) somebodyā€¦old school firefighterā€¦knew his job no problem.

Great fun thoughā€¦and, yes i learnt a hell of alot.

Was a truck driver for about 18 years before joining the Fire service, mainly around Europe, but my truck driving experience definatly come in handy when doing the Instructors course.

pugwash:
Lock em up, i say.

Well said that manā€¦personally I would like to see a mandatory minimum 6 months imprisonment for anyone attacking a member or members of the Emergency services who are going about their public duties.

About time the UK adopted the policy of some of our continental cousinsā€¦
Its Mandatory to give way to vehicles on blues n twosā€¦!!!

I blocked off a roundabout once in West Mids to allow abulance with police ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  to get throughā€¦no traffic could pass me as i had encroached the roundabout to hold the flowā€¦PC Driver was grateful as his mate hit his hazards to say thanksā€¦!!!

Went through red light on another occasion to allow emergency vehicle throughā€¦iā€™ll chance a ticket and defend it in court with a clear conscience that the precious seconds may have saved a lifeā€¦!!!

Most car drivers dont know whats in front of them let alone coimng up behind at a great rate of knotsā€¦!!!

lol Iā€™ve had some situations too. Iā€™ve also once blocked off a roundabout - to let a fire engine on.

Once i had to mount the kerb too, at great speed :stuck_out_tongue: There was simply nowhere else for me to go. I tried to get speed up so i could get into the patch of clear road ahead but the ambulance behind me was catching up too fast, so bump, up I went, and got lots of funny looks from the people in the queing traffic opposite - none of whom had pulled in to help let the guy past! :unamused: Fortunately Iā€™d been watching the kerb just in case it came to it.

Took my class III in Baor,Osnabruck. During the test I had to bump up on the pavement to let a fire ambulance pass. Obviously there were no pedestrians about, still passed the test :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The other day on my way back from Ireland I came across a very serious accident involving an un-recognisable HGV gone off the road and into the trees! With no Emergency Services in sight, being an ex Fireman, I stopped to render what assistance I could expecting to see all sorts of blood and guts. Thankfully it was a new truck (airbags,crumple zones etc) and the driver walked away with a cut on his head while the passenger only had a broken leg. This got me to thinking, as nobody else passing seemed to stop.
How many of us would stop to help a fellow driver?

How many are First Aid Trained and carry a First Aid kit?

Just what is in your First Aid kit and would/could you use it?

The 1 thing that would have helped me the other day is a decent torch which I have now bought, do you have 1?

your comments and observations would be welcomed.

AS posted it is an offence here in germany not to give way or make room for emergencey sevices, when they are running with BLUE LIGHTSā€“SIRERN:

Brit Pete, isnā€™t that what we used to call, God Given Right of way?

zebadee:
The other day on my way back from Ireland I came across a very serious accident involving an un-recognisable HGV gone off the road and into the trees! With no Emergency Services in sight, being an ex Fireman, I stopped to render what assistance I could expecting to see all sorts of blood and guts. Thankfully it was a new truck (airbags,crumple zones etc) and the driver walked away with a cut on his head while the passenger only had a broken leg. This got me to thinking, as nobody else passing seemed to stop.
How many of us would stop to help a fellow driver?

How many are First Aid Trained and carry a First Aid kit?

Just what is in your First Aid kit and would/could you use it?

The 1 thing that would have helped me the other day is a decent torch which I have now bought, do you have 1?

your comments and observations would be welcomed.

Trouble is there is so much hijacking etc going on these days, i guess thats why many truckers wouldnt stop, the rest is just down to not my problem mentality.
I have stopped to assist at accidents in the past, although i seem to remember getting grief from customers about being late :unamused:

Iā€™m not first aid trained but know some basic first aid (itā€™s in the driving test now :wink: ) I do carry a basic first aid kit, mainly for cuts etc, but itā€™s got a shock blanket & eye wash etc. decent off the shelf kit.

Also have a decent 4 cell maglite, but being as i dont often go out in the dark these days i seldom carry it.