Anyone know any proper info on Co-op / Somerfield takeover

Everytime i talk to someone they claim to know the ins and outs of this. Only thing is each person has a different story.
Anyone heard anything accurate?

i found this from december looks like take over will be complete by feb :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

retail-week.com/News/2008/12 … _nears.htm

:bulb: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: l

i couldnt find anytthing online
maybe you could ring head offices for the full sp

They are probably waiting on the new government guaranteed loan scheme !!!

My wife works at Somerfield and the latest info she has is that Morrisons and Budgens are taking over about 30 stores each and the rest are going to the Co-op. It should all be signed and sealed by the middle of February. Her store [ Holbeach] will become Budgens. Hope this helps

eric the judge:
My wife works at Somerfield and the latest info she has is that Morrisons and Budgens are taking over about 30 stores each and the rest are going to the Co-op. It should all be signed and sealed by the middle of February. Her store [ Holbeach] will become Budgens. Hope this helps

I’ve read that the office of fair trading have told the Co-op that if they do acquire Somerfield they will have to get rid of some of the property otherwise they will have a detrimental effect on local businesses.

So it sounds like they’ve sold them to W M Morrison and Budgens.

uk.biz.yahoo.com/20102008/325/of … -sale.html

uk.reuters.com/article/businessN … M420081020

Ta for that. I found out about the shop business from a notice board. I found they are advertising for security to start in feb under the co-op name. A manager told they are going from 1.3 million cases a week this xmas just gone to 2 million next xmas so why have they just got rid of 3 of the 8 shunt motors!!!
As usual the driver (agency at that) will be the last to know.

I’ve just put an application into their Birtley depot, with any luck they’ll be needing a few more drivers. :wink:

the bog wall at LEIGH GREEN said 17TH JANUARY , goodbye wincanton, hello co-op, as good a place to find out the facts :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

we are all for the high jump :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I worked a shift for the co-op today and we were talking about this.

Apparently from what they have been told it is because they (co-op) wanted to get into the garage forecourt business and bought Somerfield purely for this fact to compete with the like of esso (I think) and tesco express’, they are going to sell off the bigger stores (supermarkets) as they don’t want to close any of their already established co-op stores.

Apparently they will start to take over the deliveries to the Somerfield stores at the start of march. No idea on if they are going to get extra wagons and staff (at Fareham and Southampton anyway) or just have two shifts working the wagons. I guess we will have to wait and see.

couldnt find anytthing online
maybe you could ring head offices for the full sp